Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strings
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pi38
I don't think this is a big deal, but the strings on my guitar go out of tune really fast. I'll tune my guitar, play for 10 minutes, and then they're out of tune. I haven't changed the strings for about 4 1/2 months, which is when I got the guitar. Do you think it's the strings, or the guitar? Also, when I use my whammy bar the strings go out of tune. Again, is it the strings or the guitar?
Henkka
Whammy is actually a guitar de-tuner if strings can't be 'locked'. wink.gif
It's also good to check that the tuning knobs aren't loose. In most cases you can tighten them with a screw driver. I had this problem with my old guitar .. knobs are a bit harder to turn now, but at least they don't spin on their own. smile.gif

EDIT: It would propably be a good time to change the strings as well... if you haven't done that before, there's a great string changing video around here somewhere...
Pi38
Well, thank you. My Dad taught me how to change strings, so I should be able to do it fine. I just hate how long and boring it is.
MickeM
brand new string and worn out string both detune more easy.
Pi38
Yeah, I just have to get on the new strings and wait for that broken-in-but-not-old perfection
Hisham Al-Sanea
if your strings a branew it will go out of tune for 3 days or more tell took a sit on briedge
and if its not branew so you have to check your whamy briedge and the headstok
at lights end
could also be something to do with the nut.
i put pencil lead in each of the grooves. graphite works a treat!
Pi38
Thanks everyone! First I'm gonna get some new strings and see if that works, then, if it doesn't work, I'll try some of the other things you suggested. Thanks for all the great advice!!!
Ivan Milenkovic
Check out my restringing tutorial on GMC smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Its the old strings in combination to excessive whammy usage smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.