Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lesson Request: Lap Tapping
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
AnyJimmy

Hi All!

I've been thinking about this for a while, so here goes:

GMC needs a laptapping lesson! biggrin.gif not only is it an insanely cool playing style, it also often sounds absolutely incredible. So if there are any instructors out there who know the basics of this technique, i would love to see a lesson about it !

And to all those who aren't familiar with laptapping and/or Erik Mongrain, here he is on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k

Insane (:

-Jimmy
SensE
This is insane. Strumming, harmonics, and solo in once. He has great chop
kaznie_NL
It's amazing and uber cool, thanks for the link! It'd be cool to have such a lesson but it's prety hard to do I think...

HACHOOO...Muris..UCH UCH UCH (silent hint wink.gif )
kyldeee
HAHA... I first read Lap Dancing biggrin.gif I was little scared for couple of seconds biggrin.gif

I've seen this couple of times, it's a cool technique, but hard I would assume smile.gif
AnyJimmy
QUOTE (kyldeee @ May 3 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HAHA... I first read Lap Dancing biggrin.gif I was little scared for couple of seconds biggrin.gif

HA, that would also be awesome. Who would be doing that one i wonder? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ May 3 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's amazing and uber cool, thanks for the link! It'd be cool to have such a lesson but it's prety hard to do I think...

HACHOOO...Muris..UCH UCH UCH (silent hint wink.gif )

yes, a lesson similar to this one would be completely out of reach, but my guess is that the basics of the technique might be doable.(at least i hope so laugh.gif )
skennington
Yea, i think this is a pretty cool style as well. Seems though it would take a lifetime to learn to play like that. Andy McKee is awesome as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4...feature=related
Bali
Have you guys heard Jeff Healey? He's probably my favorite blues guitarist.
He died a couple months ago.

He was blind and played his guitar on his lap. Awsome musician!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jeff+healey
AnyJimmy
QUOTE (Bali @ May 3 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you guys heard Jeff Healey? He's probably my favorite blues guitarist.
He died a couple months ago.

He was blind and played his guitar on his lap. Awsome musician!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jeff+healey

Thats just Incredible! ohmy.gif

Ashamed to say that i'd never even heard of him before...
g-forcelover
I cam do EVH style apping on my lap. I write tons of tuff like that. Sometime I'll try a SI lesson on that style. (if that is what people want.
AnyJimmy
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ May 3 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cam do EVH style apping on my lap. I write tons of tuff like that. Sometime I'll try a SI lesson on that style. (if that is what people want.

That would also be great biggrin.gif

I actually made lesson request with the acoustic Erik Mongrain stuff in mind, but the more the better i guess laugh.gif
Outlaw2112
Thanks for sharing... that was incredible
DeepRoots
Insanity. Such a great player. I love it wub.gif
Muris Varajic
Man ohmy.gif

Must go practicing..see ya...in few years biggrin.gif
AnyJimmy
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 3 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man ohmy.gif

Must go practicing..see ya...in few years biggrin.gif

LOL

I realise now that the example of laptapping that i provided may have been a bit extreme blink.gif biggrin.gif

but something a LOT more basic must be possible, and its such an incredible technique laugh.gif

- jimmy
rokchik
Has anyone seen the movie August Rush? Great little film. The kid in it plays like this. Was scheptical at first if it was him playing then saw in an interview that he actually does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yY82owm7Ps

rok
AnyJimmy
QUOTE (rokchik @ May 3 2008, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone seen the movie August Rush? Great little film. The kid in it plays like this. Was scheptical at first if it was him playing then saw in an interview that he actually does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yY82owm7Ps

rok

Also great biggrin.gif

i love how people keep adding new stuff for each other to explore. Andy Mckee, Jeff Healey and now this from August Rush. If we keep going at this rate, Kris will need to add an entire subforum dedicated to laptapping tomorrow laugh.gif

- jimmy
The Uncreator
It would be awesome to see this lesson, Although I dont see this as a technique, I see it more as a playing style.
steve25
Whatever happened to just playing guitar? :/ What's with all these weird new ways of positioning and playing which doesn't really do anything for me anyway to be honest. Sure it looks cool but that's about it. I've obviously been under the illusion that guitar is about the sound. A lot of youtube players do some weird stuff.
AnyJimmy
QUOTE (steve25 @ May 4 2008, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever happened to just playing guitar? :/ What's with all these weird new ways of positioning and playing which doesn't really do anything for me anyway to be honest. Sure it looks cool but that's about it. I've obviously been under the illusion that guitar is about the sound. A lot of youtube players do some weird stuff.

Sure, and that's a great opinion. smile.gif

I just happen to really like this style and the sound of it, it's not for the fancy look wink.gif

Juan M. Valero
too dificult for me, sorry wink.gif but I wish somebody do a similar lesson !!!

BTW has somebody the tab ?? smile.gif
Old School Rocker
I saw a Youtube video of someone lap tapping but i dont remeber his name but, since then i've been practicing Jaun's Touch Technique Basics video lesson on my lap its acctually quite fun, thats what id recommend rather than getting an instructor to make a lesson based on that style just use a previous lesson and work with it a bit. Unfortunately i've been busy and i havent had time to practice it lately sad.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Wow this technique is insane and very cool! smile.gif Didn't see this video before smile.gif Thanks smile.gif

Really cool stuff..
AnyJimmy
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ May 5 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
too dificult for me, sorry wink.gif but I wish somebody do a similar lesson !!!

BTW has somebody the tab ?? smile.gif

Haven't got it, but if you're desperate, check his website, i believe that it's there. For a price sad.gif

- jimmy
Juan M. Valero
mmm, interesting, I try to find a decent tab... but I supose he will use an open tunning, and I'm afraid I would need some time to feel confortable with it blink.gif

QUOTE (Old School Rocker @ May 5 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw a Youtube video of someone lap tapping but i dont remeber his name but, since then i've been practicing Jaun's Touch Technique Basics video lesson on my lap its acctually quite fun, thats what id recommend rather than getting an instructor to make a lesson based on that style just use a previous lesson and work with it a bit. Unfortunately i've been busy and i havent had time to practice it lately sad.gif

thanks mate I'm so happy you enjoy my lesson smile.gif I can play some simple melodies but playing like this guy is too much difficult, so I'll need some years tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.