Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Competition : Wiki Writers
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Competitions
Andrew Cockburn
Wiki Writers Competition

Check out the Leaderboard!

It gives me great pleasure to announce the latest GMC competition - a Wiki Writers Competition! This competition will run until the end of June, so we have a larger budget and some fabulous prizes!

First place will receive a:

Click to view attachment

Pandora PX5D
Awesome Effects and a recording capability

Second place will receive a:

Click to view attachment
Pandora PX4D
Just the same as Muris uses!

Third place will receive a:

Click to view attachment
Boss DD3 Digital Delay Pedal
Boost your solo sound or sound like U2!

The aim of the competition is to get as many high quality articles accepted into the Wiki as possible, so we will be emphasising quality AND quantity!

The rules and operation are as follows:

1. Each entrant can submit as many articles as he or she wants
  2. When your article is complete, start a thread on the Wiki Writers board with a title like "WikiWriters Entry : <Name of your article>". Include a link to the article in the text of the first post
  3. These threads can be used by others to discuss your article (thats always the fun part!)
  4. Articles entered on the WikiWriters board will be judged by the seniors, and given a grade between 1 and 5
  5. An article that scores less than 3 won't be considered a valid entry and won't contribute towards your competition score
  6. Since we are after quality as well as quantity, each article may by request be regraded one time. If you have worked to improve your article, you may request a regrade by starting a new thread for the article and marking it "WikiWriters Regrade : <name of your article> and again include a link inthe text of the first post. If your grade is improved, the additional points will be added to your overall competition score.
  7. You may elect to improve existing Wiki articles, in which case a couple of additional points apply:
    1. Make sure you call out the fact that you are improving an existing article make your thread read WikiWriters Improvement: <Name of your article>
    2. The mark you will get will be treated as a regrade - e.g. you will only get points for the improvement not the whole article. We can use Wiki facilities to see excatly what you have changed and how much you have added so that part is all above board and easy to see.
  8. We will have a leaderboard in the Wiki so people can keep track of how their competition is doing, and make further efforts to improve their own score
  9. Articles that duplicate entries already in the Wiki will be disqualified
  10. Entries can be on any guitar related subject - Gear, Players, Bands, Theory, GMC etc!
  11. Absolutely no copyright violations or plaguarism will be tolerated - any evidence of this and the perpetrator will be disqualified (we have ways to check)
  12. The Judges Decision is Final
  13. No Cash or alternative prizes will be offered
  14. In the event of a tie, a tiebreaker activity will be emplyed to break the deadlock.

Here are a couple of examples:

This article is good enough to get a 5. A lot of info here, good structure, uese the official article layout.

This article would rate a 1. As you can see, there is no picture, bad organisation, no headings and very few facts, no discography, etc, etc, etc.

An important part of gaining a high score is the use of official article templates - there is some information on how to use them here. Articles submitted that don't use the template will be graded 2 or below!

Don't forget that 5 quality articles qualify you for a WikiWriters badge!

So lets start writing Wiki articles, and may the best Wiki:er win!

Addendum:

In order to reward exceptional articles, all current articles will be re-read, and those of a standard higher than 5 will be regraded as "5+". For now that is the only change, and the score board will remain the same. However, at the end of the competition, all 5+ articles will be awarded an additional unlimited bonus score. This gives us room to recognise extraordinary entries when judged against the rest of the entries.
OrganisedConfusion
I didn't even see this thread. I shall definitely take part smile.gif I will write some articles over this weekend and keep going smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 15 2008, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't even see this thread. I shall definitely take part smile.gif I will write some articles over this weekend and keep going smile.gif

I only made it visible 2 minutes ago - you are quick on the draw OC!
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 15 2008, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only made it visible 2 minutes ago - you are quick on the draw OC!

lol. Fair enough. I'm easily confused biggrin.gif
Chris Evans
whoops sorry , shoulda bumped this earlier, fantastic competition, with awesome prizes!!!

Come on guys get wiki`ing!!
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Smells @ May 15 2008, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whoops sorry , shoulda bumped this earlier, fantastic competition, with awesome prizes!!!

Nah, I bumped it as soon as I made it visible about 10 minutes ago! I guess prepping the competition and hiding it is confusing, I'll do it differently next time!
chast
Cool prizes and a good competition.
I'm waiting for some entries guys tongue.gif
Jad Diab
wow i'm really bad at writting articles, i'll try doing my best ... smile.gif
and can't wait to see some entries
coffeeman
Great competition, I would love to write a couple of articles but I don't if my lack of vocabulary would led my write something good, I will try tho.
Chris Evans
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 15 2008, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah, I bumped it as soon as I made it visible about 10 minutes ago! I guess prepping the competition and hiding it is confusing, I'll do it differently next time!

phew, couldnt believe I`d missed it that badly laugh.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (coffeeman @ May 15 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great competition, I would love to write a couple of articles but I don't if my lack of vocabulary would led my write something good, I will try tho.

Content is more important than vocabulary! The great thing about a Wiki is that others can make corrections, so you can concentrate on some killer content and it can be edited later smile.gif

As a general note, I would like to encourage everyone, regardless of whether or not they are Native English speakers to have a go at this - the Seniors will be looking at overall standards, not specifically at language.
coffeeman
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 15 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Content is more important than vocabulary! The great thing about a Wiki is that others can make corrections, so you can concentrate on some killer content and it can be edited later smile.gif

As a general note, I would like to encourage everyone, regardless of whether or not they are Native English speakers to have a go at this - the Seniors will be looking at overall standards, not specifically at language.

Awesome Andrew , I will give it a shot.
kaznie_NL
To bad I can't entry my already written wiki articles biggrin.gif I already wrote five tongue.gif

Nice challenge! I'll try to make more, and maybe not win but get the wiki writer emblem!!
axelsson
Great competition! Are there any information how you're supposed to do when you want to write your article?
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (coffeeman @ May 15 2008, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Andrew. Aa an example, a very informative list on bands or guitarist with links and images could qualify for top score! biggrin.gif Or how about a very thoroughly written lesson plan with links, scale images etc

So no need for perfect English (If that was requirement I'd be banned from the wiki long ago! unsure.gif )

QUOTE (axelsson @ May 15 2008, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great competition! Are there any information how you're supposed to do when you want to write your article?

Yes - follow the links given by Andrew in the opening post! smile.gif (or check this)
kaznie_NL
I've already started with a slide guitar wiki article biggrin.gif
axelsson
cheers Kris
Kristofer Dahl
Andrew has now inserted the leaderboard on the wiki frontpage - this will be a cool way to keep track of what's happening!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
OrganisedConfusion
It took me 2 hours to write one article lol. I thought they would be easy but to do it well takes a while smile.gif
Canis
Do the two articles I've allready written in the last two days count? =)
I got a load of bands and stuff to write about yet, so I'll be taking part ^^

(By the way, I thought we had to write 5 articles to get a badge, not 3 as stated in the first post?)

ZakkWylde
I'll do my best to prove that I didn't get that Wiki:er badge for nothing.

Oh and what about misspellings? Do they count into the rating?

----Just to make sure I do not take someone elses Idea away: I am planning a Wiki on Les Paul (The Guy^^)
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 15 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll do my best to prove that I didn't get that Wiki:er badge for nothing.

Oh and what about misspellings? Do they count into the rating?

Just use a spellchecker smile.gif
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 15 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just use a spellchecker smile.gif

Andrew are you only reviewing entries at the end or giving us feedback throughout and marks so we can make our next articles better smile.gif

I posted my first one and I think I used correct template and put it in right area smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (Canis @ May 15 2008, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(By the way, I thought we had to write 5 articles to get a badge, not 3 as stated in the first post?)

That's right - we will edit that!

QUOTE (Canis @ May 15 2008, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do the two articles I've allready written in the last two days count? =)
I got a load of bands and stuff to write about yet, so I'll be taking part ^^

No they don't count! I am looking forward to your band articles! biggrin.gif
superize
Cool Competion i will try and make some articles on some bands and other stuff
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 15 2008, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's right - we will edit that!

Done smile.gif

Check out the leaderboard, we have our first score allready!
OrganisedConfusion
Hopefully it is a quick kick start. Hopefully we get some great articles from this comp.
axelsson
aaaaaaaah!!!!!!! Just a warning to other wiki writers......I had written about half my article about Paul Gilbert when I saved the page and then left the edit page open while I went out running for an hour...then when I came back in it was all gone, back to the template state with that weird text :/
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (axelsson @ May 15 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aaaaaaaah!!!!!!! Just a warning to other wiki writers......I had written about half my article about Paul Gilbert when I saved the page and then left the edit page open while I went out running for an hour...then when I came back in it was all gone, back to the template state with that weird text :/

No worries - I think we still have the text for you! smile.gif Just a second

I am not completely sure what you wrote - but if you click "recent changes" in the bottom of the wiki, then click your article, then click "History" in the header menu. You can then see a bunch of different versions of your article - hopefully you can restore ... unsure.gif
axelsson
Nope, couldn't restore it :/ Seems like the version when I had written wasn't saved somehow...only the very first version when I had the correct picture and headline were. Well, thnx anyway smile.gif I suppose this wont happen to anyone else then since I must have done something wrong..
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (axelsson @ May 15 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, couldn't restore it :/ Seems like the version when I had written wasn't saved somehow...only the very first version when I had the correct picture and headline were. Well, thnx anyway smile.gif I suppose this wont happen to anyone else then since I must have done something wrong..

Ah! sad.gif

Hopefully this should remind others to save often! smile.gif
axelsson
yeah, hopefully smile.gif
audiopaal
Awesome contest smile.gif
And awesome prizes!!! blink.gif

Good luck to everyone, can't wait for the articles smile.gif

I'm not sure I'll be participating though, I'm busy working on my website, writing songs, the new job is taking a bit of time and I have big plans for my "practice agenda" which I will spend quite a bit of time on smile.gif

I will however write for the wiki as well, when I get the chance, but not in a competition mode where all I do is wikiwriting biggrin.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Those prizes are funtastic! smile.gif What can I say guys - just brilliant!
Fran
Awesome, just awesome! You guys read my mind smile.gif

I've been thinking lately of a few wikis I wanted to write and maybe obtain a cool wiki:writer badge, and now this competition arrives full of awesome prizes.

Count me in wink.gif, as a matter of fact I have already written my first article, a gear wiki about the pocketpod! wink.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Good luck everyone ! Those prizes are more than awesome!! I don't know which one is better smile.gif
Gus
Really nice prizes. Now I understood why you said why this time it has to be even more visible who is winning

When I deliver my thesis, I guess I will keep writing. Just a topic change tongue.gif
steve25
Game on guys! We've already had a few submitted now so it's definitaly on tongue.gif
Smikey2006
what a great contest to kick off coming back to gmc smile.gif im currently working on an article on Krank Amplification / one on dean guitars smile.gif ill submit in a few days.. do old articles count? can they be resubmitted for the contest?
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ May 20 2008, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what a great contest to kick off coming back to gmc smile.gif im currently working on an article on Krank Amplification / one on dean guitars smile.gif ill submit in a few days.. do old articles count? can they be resubmitted for the contest?

As I said in the other thread. I believe old articles before comp date don't count and if you upgrade them you will get the points difference from before the competition. So if you created an article worth a 2 before comp started and changed it to add more detail to a 5 article you'd get 3 marks rather than 5.
Smikey2006
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 20 2008, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I said in the other thread. I believe old articles before comp date don't count and if you upgrade them you will get the points difference from before the competition. So if you created an article worth a 2 before comp started and changed it to add more detail to a 5 article you'd get 3 marks rather than 5.

what if the article recieved a 5 when it was written?
Gabriel Leopardi
wou! Awesome prizes! Good luck everybody!
Pablo Vazquez
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 21 2008, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wou! Awesome prizes! Good luck everybody!

+1 Amazing prizes!
Ivan Milenkovic
Can anyone tell us when the deadline is for this competition?
Andrew Cockburn
End of June ...
Canis
Wow, Fran has 65 points tongue.gif Don't think I can compete with that, but I'll atleast do my share now that my exams are over tongue.gif
I'll get that badge ^^
Andrew Cockburn
There is still a lot of time smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
Ok, WikiWriters Competition is officially closed!

We will take a few days to grade the remaining entries and add extra points for the 5+ articles, and we will announce the winner this weekend.

Some amazing articles here you guys have surpassed yourselves!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.