Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Way To Write A Song
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pio Jr.
Hey GMC,

I'm a little fustrated on my songwriting. I first make the tab with GP5 and then learn my own song on guitar. I make it sometime to fast or to hard that i need to months to know it a bit. mad.gif

so what's the best way to write a song?
a. write the music first and then play it
b. try to make a song by riffs and licks your already known

which instrument should you start with?
a. drum
b. bass
c. guitar

How do you write your songs?

Please help me out? Pio Jr.
Bogdan Radovic
Well writing guitar pro first is definitely wrong way to do it..Writing it first will not give good result and will limit you a lot (in your guitar pro programming skills etc).You write your song on your main instrument..Start by playing guitar and making licks , chord progressions etc..When you make the intro / first verse record it..Than work on chorus ..Just go step by step , build the song up like a puzzle smile.gif
skennington
Here are some good tips frm Luciana smile.gif

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...to+write+a+song
mattacuk
I have no experience in writing, but from the instructional DVD's i watch alot of great songs come out of makeing chord progressions on the guitar !! So personally I think that is where I would start first smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
You should start with a good idea for a song. Good idea can be anything: guitar part, melody, vocal line, good lyrics - anything that inspires you to write the whole piece. When you have that it shoudl be easy, first do guitar parts if you play the guitar, then drums, bass, vocals etc. There isn't any general rule how to write a song. Also, work is all what matters - if you don't try to do a song and wait for the idea to come along on it's own, probably you will write nothing at all. So lot of work is needed to write and finish something that will mean something.
Hisham Al-Sanea
first if you have a lyrics so you have to cache your guitar and start composing
to compose the songs usually from 3 riffs + solo. first riff + chorus , second riff + chorus , solo or improvising
then third riff and final
when you want to start adding or recording the important things the drums track or beat track .then after
you can add the bass track then guitar rhythm and going to solo guitar
then for a vocal start with chorus and finally the vocal. thats all the story smile.gif i know its hard but you can start now
Trond Vold
I would say that there's no definitive way to write a song. It's very individual.
I know people that gets good results writing down the song in guitarpro first, and i know people that gets good results writing ideas down on paper.

The way i do it is that i play around on the guitar, and maybe i will get lucky and come up with something i like.
Then i record what i came up with asap and at the same time record some spontanous improv afterwards of what i think will fit. I dont care if i mess up or stop for a few seconds.
After that i analyse what i played and start constructing a song out of it. I split the track up and move the various sections around to make a basic layout. I might come up with more ideas in this process and i record them too at once.
I will also add basic drums and bass during this step.

Once i'm pleased with the layout i will start recording proper guitar-tracks and improve on the drums and bass programming. I might come up with more ideas in this step aswell.
But usually the finished result is 90% different from the initial idea i started recording smile.gif
In most cases i will finish and be satisfied with the backingtrack before i add melodies and solos. But this might also differ if the inital idea was a solo.

That atleast how i do it.
Pio Jr.
Thanks guys for your advice and reply's tongue.gif
I gonna make a drumtrack with http://www.hydrogen-music.org/ (drummachine)
And then I'm gonna try to make some guitarlines first and see if it works.
Then record my masterpieces with sony acid

Marcus Lavendell
There’s usually two ways I compose songs.
One is when I become inspired by something, and then everything just flows. It’s like taking dictation biggrin.gif

And sometimes I make a simple drum beat, hit record, and just jam for a while. Then I sit down, take a coffee, and listen to the recording and make notes of what I like.

In both cases I first write down (or record) the instrument that’s most dominant in the song (usually guitar or piano) smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
Awesome topic - and some very useful advice here! biggrin.gif

When I listen to music I hear it in blocks - intro, verse, chorus etc

As I probably am over-analytical by nature - I can't help but constantly try and analyse what I hear - in other words analysing why a certain combination of different blocks will sound cool.

Now when I try to write music myself - I usually come up with one of the blocks (maybe a cool intro by jamming around). I will then stop playing and try to hear how the rest of the blocks could sound in my head...if I am lucky I end up having a cool combination of blocks - in other words a cool song!
Marcus Siepen
I agree with Trond, there is no such thing as the ultimate way to write a song, every musician has his own way I guess. But I would definitely write a song with my instrument in my hand, not with a piece of paper and a pen. Normally I play around with my guitar, and at some point I play something that I like, and I just try to develop this basic idea and turn it into a riff, a melody or even a full song, for me this is the only way that works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.