Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just Wanted Some Feedback
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Marcus Lavendell
IDontWantThisUsername
Hi, and by the way - congratulations for having been an instructor at GMC for 1 year biggrin.gif wink.gif

Ok, back to business...
I have recorded myself so you could give me some feedback. smile.gif

Myself I think that I could get more relaxed in my hands when doing vibrato. When I try to make slow vibrato, it feels like my hand gets kind of cramped, and it gets faster than I want it to. Do you have any advice on this?
Another thing is my vibrato when playing at the lower frets. As my hand goes further from the body, the whole neck of the guitar starts to move instead of only the string. I try to use the thumb to stop it and push the neck downwards, but then my hand gets in such a position that it gets difficult just to do the vibrato itself. dry.gif These problems come mostly when I try to do it upwards. An example could be the lick in the beginner part of your three-level lesson (Not the neo-classical)
at 00:25 - 00:30

Marcus Lavendell
Hey! I'll listen to these recordings as soon as I get to my studio (there are no speakers on the computer I'm at now).

But until then I just want to thank you for remining me of my 1-year anniversary at GMC! biggrin.gif How could I miss it?! huh.gif laugh.gif

IDontWantMyUsername
I was talking about a tab I made of your Neoclassical Etude's backing track. Here it is smile.gif

Marcus Lavendell
Wow! I'm really impressed biggrin.gif I can hear one chord that's wrong in the tab though, and maybe few notes (very few). But over all you did a fantastic job! smile.gif

About your playing.
Your picking technique sounds very good, most of the notes are clean and nice smile.gif What I think your should work on though is the timing, because some of the notes are not in an even tempo. So work with a metronome or a steady drum beat/backing track on this.

I also must say that I think your tone is too dry. I would have added some reverb and maybe a small delay to your tone, but of course that's just my personal opinion smile.gif

Your vibrato isn't that bad. It's very fast though and sometimes it goes out of pitch. And I think that's because you're tense and pressing down the string too hard. You must relax at all times! - that's my best advise for you. It's not good at all that your hands cramp up, so you really need to stay relaxed. However, at 00:18 you do a wonderful slow vibrato on a long note, so try to analyze what you did there - and do more of it smile.gif
IDontWantMyUsername
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Jun 1 2008, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! I'm really impressed biggrin.gif I can hear one chord that's wrong in the tab though, and maybe few notes (very few). But over all you did a fantastic job! smile.gif

About your playing.
Your picking technique sounds very good, most of the notes are clean and nice smile.gif What I think your should work on though is the timing, because some of the notes are not in an even tempo. So work with a metronome or a steady drum beat/backing track on this.

I also must say that I think your tone is too dry. I would have added some reverb and maybe a small delay to your tone, but of course that's just my personal opinion smile.gif

Your vibrato isn't that bad. It's very fast though and sometimes it goes out of pitch. And I think that's because you're tense and pressing down the string too hard. You must relax at all times! - that's my best advise for you. It's not good at all that your hands cramp up, so you really need to stay relaxed. However, at 00:18 you do a wonderful slow vibrato on a long note, so try to analyze what you did there - and do more of it smile.gif

Thank you alot for your feedback, but you made me a little curious rolleyes.gif
Which chord did I do wrong? biggrin.gif
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Jun 2 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which chord did I do wrong? biggrin.gif

It's the second chord in bar 9. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.