Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things You May Not Know About Dr. Brian May
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Bands and Guitarists
fkalich
1) Yes, he as a PhD, Astronomy. He took over 30 years off to be a Rock Star, but completed his Dissertation in 2007.
2) He prefers to use coins as picks, I believe a 6 pence.

interesting fellow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_May
Guitarman700
very interesting, i knew he used coins as picks, but i had no idea he was a doctor.
Zephyr
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 4 2008, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
very interesting, i knew he used coins as picks, but i had no idea he was a doctor.

Same here! Wow!
Nick325
woah never knew that
OrganisedConfusion
I did know all that but I'm from UK so I should know about awesome musicians from here biggrin.gif
mattacuk
Cool thread, its great to talk about such a legendary guitarist !! I knew he had a degree but I didnt know he used a 6 pence , amaizing stuff!!

The Wiki article is great too, amaizing to know Brian used an Ibanez for one song smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 4 2008, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) He prefers to use coins as picks, I believe a 6 pence.

Yes, its actually a sixpence, which is an old coin from before the UK decimilised its currency in 1970 or therabouts. Its now worth 2.5 pence but is bo longer legal tender.

I went to a Queen + Paul Rodgers concert a few years ago and they were selling them - I still have it here.
Chris Evans
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 5 2008, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to a Queen + Paul Rodgers concert a few years ago and they were selling them - I still have it here.

I bet you didnt pay 2.5p for it tho, I expect you got robbed for a couple of quid laugh.gif

I remember reading somewhere that he`d finished his phd degree, he already had Honoury degrees from other Universities,

he also has a CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) for his services to the Music Industry.

Muris Varajic
Such a giant in many fields,not just music!
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Smells @ Jun 5 2008, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet you didnt pay 2.5p for it tho, I expect you got robbed for a couple of quid laugh.gif

That I did ... can't (or won't) remember exactly how much ...
mattacuk
I think for me I will always assoicate Brian May as one of the real greats ! smile.gif
Pablo Vazquez
Yeah!! Brian May is GREAT!!! biggrin.gif
audiopaal
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 5 2008, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have the coolest sig picture ever!!! biggrin.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Unusual person, probably very smart one! smile.gif
JuanMV
Well, Dexter Holland, the singer of The Offspring, has a degree in molecular biology, and he was doing his PhD when the band took off... that's why they call him Dexter, which means nerd.
Danilo Capezzuto
Great Sir. Brian, Doctor and guitar-hero! His sound is in the history of guitar!
sidewas lightning
Schwatt is this?! blink.gif Strange... thirty years off to be a rock star, huh? tongue.gif
Juan M. Valero
Dr. May is a really weird person wink.gif and an amazing musician !!!
Nemanja Filipovic
Yeah,great guy.smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.