Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You Said You Were Using Protools...
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Marcus Lavendell
IDontWantMyUsername
Hi, if you've been looking over the Gear-forum, you might have seen that I'm going to get a computer soon smile.gif
I'm also going to get some midi-programs and such, and I've been looking very much at ProTools-software and stuff, thanks to your stunning backing tracks biggrin.gif

Anyways... What do you use? I'm thinking of buying Mbox 2 and an Axiom-midi controller from M-Audio smile.gif
And by the way, is it possible that you put out some of your midi-sounds out on the site so that others can download them? rolleyes.gif

Take your time and thanks in advance!
Peter smile.gif
Marcus Lavendell
Hi Peter,

Congrats in advance! It's always nice to get new gear!! biggrin.gif

I have a DIGI002r with Pro Tools LE. I use a Mac G5, btw smile.gif
I'm sure you'll be very happy with an Mbox 2 and Pro Tools, but on the other hand, you can probably make the same high quality backings with other cheaper gear as well. Pro Tools really is an amazing program once you know how to use it though, and I definitely recommend it (for those who are willing to pay the extra $ for it) smile.gif

My "MIDI-sounds" comes from an old hardware sound module (called Roland JV-1010), so I'm afraid it's not possible to share any of those sounds sad.gif

Let me know if you need any help with Pro Tools, if you decide to buy that. I have looong experience with that program so I can probably answer some of your questions smile.gif

-Marcus
IDontWantMyUsername
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Jul 4 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Peter,

Congrats in advance! It's always nice to get new gear!! biggrin.gif

I have a DIGI002r with Pro Tools LE. I use a Mac G5, btw smile.gif
I'm sure you'll be very happy with an Mbox 2 and Pro Tools, but on the other hand, you can probably make the same high quality backings with other cheaper gear as well. Pro Tools really is an amazing program once you know how to use it though, and I definitely recommend it (for those who are willing to pay the extra $ for it) smile.gif

My "MIDI-sounds" comes from an old hardware sound module (called Roland JV-1010), so I'm afraid it's not possible to share any of those sounds sad.gif

Let me know if you need any help with Pro Tools, if you decide to buy that. I have looong experience with that program so I can probably answer some of your questions smile.gif

-Marcus

I'm very happy to hear that biggrin.gif I will try not to bother you too much with my questions tongue.gif
But does all your sounds come from the Roland synth? I guess the plugins that follow with the MBox have some sounds, but are there any internet-sites that you download them fromtoo? I'm especially fond of your timpani-sound. It just makes your backing tracks sound kind of epic biggrin.gif

By the way, did you mean 003? I can't find anything called DIGI002r on the Digidesign-sites blink.gif
Marcus Lavendell
No, mine is called DIGI002r ("r" means "rack") but it's discontinued by now I think. Anyway, DIGI003r is the newer version which is better. But i'm still very happy with my 002r so I don't think I'll upgrade anytime soon smile.gif

I think Mbox 2 comes with a limited version of a sampler nowadays. And you'll probably also get Digidesign's + a few free BombFactory plug-ins (they're pretty good) such as a compressors, delays, eq, reverb, etc. If you want some really awesome plug-ins I recommend you to check out Waves! smile.gif

Besides my Roland synth, I've got an RTAS sampler called SampleTank (I get the timpani from it) but the samples are not free, you have to buy them. So I can't share any of those sounds either. Sorry!

Edit: Here some info about the DIGI002. http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=...amp;itemid=4895
IDontWantMyUsername
I think my biggest question starts to become "How can you afford all this?! huh.gif" tongue.gif laugh.gif I suppose it is the workstation bundle from IK Multimedia you have, or what? smile.gif
IDontWantMyUsername
Hello, if you remember, I told you that I had heard the theme of your Neoclassical Etude on the radio somewhere before. I managed to record it biggrin.gif I did it with my mobile, so the quality isn't very good, but still you can hear that there's almost no difference other than that it's in E and not in A smile.gif

Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Jul 7 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, if you remember, I told you that I had heard the theme of your Neoclassical Etude on the radio somewhere before. I managed to record it biggrin.gif I did it with my mobile, so the quality isn't very good, but still you can hear that there's almost no difference other than that it's in E and not in A smile.gif

Hehe... I see, cool biggrin.gif
That particular part is actually J.S. Bach Toccata & Fugu D-minor. That's where I got that "lick" from anyway, and I'm quite sure they got it from there too smile.gif

Check this vid at 01:30 min:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXoyr_FyFw
IDontWantMyUsername
[quote name='Marcus Lavendell' date='Jul 7 2008, 09:32 PM' post='223304']
Hehe... I see, cool biggrin.gif
That particular part is actually J.S. Bach Toccata & Fugu D-minor. That's where I got that "lick" from anyway, and I'm quite sure they got it from there too smile.gif

Aha, I think we listened to just that piece at school once smile.gif Strange that I didn't recognise it then blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.