Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legato Guitar Positioning.
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Jesse
When watching some legat lessons and pavel's ofcourse you can see that they have theyre "Sorry if I selled that wrong." guitar in a classical guitar position. Is it better to practise like this?
rockztar
well thats a personal decision but your back gets more straight and you fingers can take wider intervals
Iluha
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jul 9 2008, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When watching some legat lessons and pavel's ofcourse you can see that they have theyre "Sorry if I selled that wrong." guitar in a classical guitar position. Is it better to practise like this?

I think you should try diffrent positions and see what is the most comfortable position for you.

As a more personal suggestion, if you plan on preforming standing up, than you should either practice standing up or find a siting position in wich you hold the guitar similar to how you hold it standing up(thats what i do)
Nighthawk1
I also dealt with that question. Pavel once said it is important to put your thumb in the middle of the neck in order to get the right hand position on the fretboard if you wanna play really fast stuff. That is why he places the guitar in this classical way. When standing it is not that easy of course. First thing is that people tend to hang their guitar on a knee level which they think looks very cool laugh.gif But I say the higher the better it is more comfortable for your hands and you can play almost like you were sitting....For example if Zakk Wylde wants to shred he puts his left foot on the front stage speaker in order to have a better position to play fast stuff
Muris Varajic
"Classical" position (on the left leg) is almost the same fell
as when you stand up with the guitar,
so another reason to try it this way.
As for hand hand,to get wider intervals you naturally need
to set your thumb lower,otherwise you cannot reach certain stuff. smile.gif
Storm Linnebjerg
As has been said, it is very much rewarding on your back as well as your fretting hand, as you won't lean your elbow on your thigh, hip etc. So you're arm isn't as limited in movement. Sitting straight when playing guitar is also important not to hurt your back. That said, I tend to sit in the non-classical position, though I'd rather do the other.
Jesse
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 9 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Classical" position (on the left leg) is almost the same fell
as when you stand up with the guitar,
so another reason to try it this way.
As for hand hand,to get wider intervals you naturally need
to set your thumb lower,otherwise you cannot reach certain stuff. smile.gif

Okay, thank's. I'll try it!
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jul 9 2008, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, thank's. I'll try it!

Anytime,keep us updated. smile.gif
jacmoe
If you watch some videos of Slash, who keeps his guitar notoriously low most of the time, you'll see that he tilts his guitar when playing really fast/involved solos. smile.gif
Déjà vu
I sit like Pavel does. But, for some reason there are a few thing that I have a really rough time playing (while standing) of course. I also don't want to look like I'm in the Beatles while playing on stage laugh.gif . Should I get a new strap? I still use the one my that friend bought for five dollars. He gave it to me when he broke the plastic adjustment piece. laugh.gif ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.