Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improvisation
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > David Wallimann > Theory (David)
MyNinjaWay
hi there,

got a question for yah biggrin.gif

I've been going through your mode workouts and all that for a while now... right, and you do your modes over your triads and what not... but I was wondering... what do you use scale-wise if you want a heavier background sound? say if you wanted to play power chords or a fast chugging style riff underneath? do I use some of the notes of the mode for the riff in the background? or are there other scales for this I am unaware of? oh well mate,
hope I explained that clearly enough... hope you can help out wink.gif
thanks for your time,

----tom
David Wallimann
Hi Tom!
Thanks for your question.
Yeah, you use the same notes found in the mode. Usually I try to use the Root, 3rd, 5th and add to that to create a riff.
Hope that helps!

QUOTE (MyNinjaWay @ Jul 30 2008, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi there,

got a question for yah biggrin.gif

I've been going through your mode workouts and all that for a while now... right, and you do your modes over your triads and what not... but I was wondering... what do you use scale-wise if you want a heavier background sound? say if you wanted to play power chords or a fast chugging style riff underneath? do I use some of the notes of the mode for the riff in the background? or are there other scales for this I am unaware of? oh well mate,
hope I explained that clearly enough... hope you can help out wink.gif
thanks for your time,

----tom

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.