Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bridge Height
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Rated Htr
How important is it in terms of shred?
Bogdan Radovic
Well they say the lower the string action the better for shred..But with proper technique you should have no problem to shred on any guitar wink.gif
Rated Htr
Yeah, I know but isn't it noisier when the bridge is lower?
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Aug 22 2008, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I know but isn't it noisier when the bridge is lower?

well depends on setup..it can be..But not necessarily if its proper setup done...But of course the higher the action the cleaner it sounds but its harder to play...Key to this is to do a good setup somewhere in between two worlds smile.gif
Rated Htr
Well, I have a American Stratocaster, with a Seymour Duncan JB Jr. Pickup near the bridge, my shred is getting better, but I heard that since stratocasters where made for more of a clean sound, the bridge is a bit high, that's what I wanted to know smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Well you can setup string action on all guitars..But of course some guitars can get it lower then others...I'm sure you will get really good anyway on that strat (its a great instrument)...I would not seek an instrument that can give me that "advantage" just for its construction , rather practice more to achieve same results on current gear smile.gif
Rated Htr
I«m making it custom, new pickguard, Optima strings, gonna buy a new pickup soon, since my goal is to do power metal kind of music, I'm just not fast enough yet, so I was seeing if it could help to lower the bridge tongue.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
You can lower the bridge using a small Allen Wrench key that you got with your guitar. American strats don't use standardized Allen Wrench so be careful not to loose yout copy. If you do loose it don't try it with a regular size allen wrench - you can damage the bridge saddle screw. Instead go to nearest Fender distributor and buy this wrench.

OK if you do got the small allen wrench key, carefully screw down the bridge saddle screw. This way bridge saddle will go down (closer to the body). Do this in small step increments. when you start noticing the string buzz this is a far as you can go. If you wanna go lower, you have to see a guitar tech to give you a proper setup.
Rated Htr
Thanks Ivan, will try it out smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
No problem mate, glad to help. Tell us how it went if you go through it smile.gif
fkalich
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 22 2008, 06:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can lower the bridge using a small Allen Wrench key that you got with your guitar. American strats don't use standardized Allen Wrench so be careful not to loose yout copy. If you do loose it don't try it with a regular size allen wrench - you can damage the bridge saddle screw. Instead go to nearest Fender distributor and buy this wrench.

OK if you do got the small allen wrench key, carefully screw down the bridge saddle screw. This way bridge saddle will go down (closer to the body). Do this in small step increments. when you start noticing the string buzz this is a far as you can go. If you wanna go lower, you have to see a guitar tech to give you a proper setup.

I have never seen the magic wand that guitar techs have, that enables them to do magical things that I cannot do, turning no more than 2 sets of adjustment screws, and a truss rod.

It is simple, and logical, anyone with a brain can set up their guitar better than the guy in the guitar shop. Except maybe to cut the nut, you need special tools for that, which I have. You won't break your truss rod if you just use common sense. The rest is just setting the action and then the string length. There is simply no more to it. You can read on internet.

If they are going to work on your frets, fine, but I don't think we are talking about that. Sorry to be a pain, but there just is nothing magically hard about setting up a guitar that an 8 year old can't do.
Ivan Milenkovic
Well I did work many times on my guitars and I would again take it to guitar tech for proper setup because of one reason - experience. These guys did setups on countless guitars, and afterall it's their job. I'm sure they can do better than me mate (not to mention a 8 year old) smile.gif

QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 23 2008, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never seen the magic wand that guitar techs have, that enables them to do magical things that I cannot do, turning no more than 2 sets of adjustment screws, and a truss rod.

It is simple, and logical, anyone with a brain can set up their guitar better than the guy in the guitar shop. Except maybe to cut the nut, you need special tools for that, which I have. You won't break your truss rod if you just use common sense. The rest is just setting the action and then the string length. There is simply no more to it. You can read on internet.

If they are going to work on your frets, fine, but I don't think we are talking about that. Sorry to be a pain, but there just is nothing magically hard about setting up a guitar that an 8 year old can't do.

kjutte
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Aug 22 2008, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How important is it in terms of shred?

Doesn't matter, some may say that it's easier when they're low, but if you practise shred with your strings high, you will eventually shred with high action too.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 22 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have a floating tremolo, or any trem with edges even, DO NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT lower or raise the trem with tension on the strings.

DO NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
This will make your edge dull, and you will lose tuning stability.
Gus
Low action helps fretting, but low action also makes a little harder to bend.

So if you want to do ultra fast bending licks, it is better not to lower it too much.
kjutte
QUOTE (Gus @ Aug 26 2008, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Low action helps fretting, but low action also makes a little harder to bend.

So if you want to do ultra fast bending licks, it is better not to lower it too much.

Harder to bend? never had that problem.
Emir Hot
He probably ment that you lose your sound if you bend too much because the string touches some frets ahead in front of a bended note if you have too low action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.