Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoke On The Water Lesson
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Andrew Cockburn
CompleteNewbie
Hi Andrew,

I am new to the site and guitar, I have watched your beginers tutrorials and was interested in the Smoke on the Water lesson.

This is probably a stupid question, but the 4 chords you use for this lesson, are they made by striking the two strings at once? huh.gif

I watched where you placed your fingers on your left hand, but are you striking two strings each time.

Sorry if the questions stupid!!
Regards
Eric
kaznie_NL
Sorry for anwsering in your place Andrew, I just thought that in this way I'd help him within a couple of minutes.

to CN: Yep you play the two strings at once. This is called PowerChords, check Andrew amazing theory lessons for more info on that!
Roadside
Yes he does! G5 is played on the a and d string. All the other Chords (Bb5, C5, C#5) are played on the d and the g string!
Hope that helped you:)

didn´t see your post kaznie, I´m sorry:)
Andrew Cockburn
Thanks guys for helping!

@CompleteNewbie - the way you can see if this is the case for next time is in the chord charts I gave - you can see that I show 2 strings at once there, and when playing chords we always pretty much play all the notes at the same time. Contrast that with lead playing where we mostly play single notes at a time.

You are a little ahead of my beginner lessons at the moment but I will be introducing concepts like chords and also reading tabs and chord charts in a few lessons time if you can wait smile.gif
CompleteNewbie
Thanks Guys.

I wasn't sure. I did see the diagrams, but I thought it best to ask.
Thanks for your Time.
Canis
Just to clear something up: There are no such thing as a stupid question ^^
Just stupid answers, something you won't get from any instructors at GMC =)
Capt.Z
QUOTE (Canis @ Sep 10 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very very true biggrin.gif
Scott Gentzen
QUOTE (Canis @ Sep 10 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the record, you might get a stupid answer from me every once in a while. Fortunately, Kris and the rest are smart enough to keep me off the staff roster.
CompleteNewbie
Cheers Guys..... biggrin.gif
jer
And welcome to GMC CompleteNewbie!

And welcome to the guitar!

We've all been where you are. Keep up the learning!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.