Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hybrid Picking Question
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Muris Varajic > Techniques (Muris)
Kizaze44
Hi Muris,

Working on your hybrid picking series - it's wonderful! Here's a question, though... After you turned me on to Guthrie Govan, I've been studying his YouTube videos - you know the ones where he just jams over blues backing tracks. Sometimes he uses hybrid picking and sometimes he doesn't. It seems random, but I'm sure it's not. The question is - when is the time to break into hybrid picking? It seems you, me, or Guthrie can alternate pick most of these licks. Is it strictly for the different tone? Here's the video I can't take my eyes off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEubiUaDq0o

All the best,

Kizaze (bowing to the awesome skills of Lord Muris)

Muris Varajic
Hi Kizaze. smile.gif

Hybrid has 2 uses actually,
first one is the sound cause it sounds a lot smoother
compared with picking.
And second,some licks are really easier to play with hybrid.
When to use it?
That's surely personal matter.
Stay tuned for Advanced level lesson,
you'll see some licks which are almost impossible
to play any other way,
I said almost impossible cause nothing is impossible. smile.gif
Kizaze44
Can't wait for it!

-Kiz
OrganisedConfusion
I love your hybrid picking series. I am going to try out the beginner lesson soon enough smile.gif
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Nov 25 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love your hybrid picking series. I am going to try out the beginner lesson soon enough smile.gif

Good,let me know if you need any help with it. smile.gif
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 25 2008, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good,let me know if you need any help with it. smile.gif

I more than likely will biggrin.gif I'm still fighting it out with my fingers on the Odd Grooves lesson. I can do it but recording a perfect take is impossible still.
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Nov 25 2008, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I more than likely will biggrin.gif I'm still fighting it out with my fingers on the Odd Grooves lesson. I can do it but recording a perfect take is impossible still.

Just don't give up! smile.gif
lcsdds
I can't wait for the advanced lesson. I seem to only use hybrid picking on string skipping type licks. When the strings are adjacent it seems that economy picking is better for me. I never even tried hybrid picking until I saw Muris use it in some of his lessons. It's definitely gonna be a great weapon once I get it down. I've already applied it to some string skipping licks that I was really struggling with before. Thanks for the lessons Muris. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte
Muris Varajic
It IS very useful for skipping,no doubt there!
But it comes pretty handy for some licks without skipping as well,
exploring is the key. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.