Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beginner Mtp Sign Up
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > MTP - The Mentored Training Program
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Chris Evans
Beginner MTP Sign up

Here it is!! The sign up thread many of you have been waiting for!

anyone that wishes to sign up as a beginner in the Mentored Training program please do so in this thread using the following criteria:

Firstly you must post a video of your current level of playing - this doesn`t have to be elaborate, just a few chops and techniques. You should also include some ideas on what you want to achieve in the coming months, and some notes on the overall style of playing you would like to develop - either spoken in the video , or in writing in your signup post.

Please read here if require more information about the MTP http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...8610&hl=mtp

Can we encourage the previous members that signed up for Kris`s initial test phase to re apply in this thread as well - all you have to do is re upload your previous application video to be considered.

**As a note, as part of the Intermediate Sign up competition we will be asking them to mentor one beginner each as part of the next phase of the competition, please be aware that we will be asking some of you for a period of one month to be mentored by the potential Intermediate mentor - please lest us know that you will be happy to help with this, and we`d like to give preference to the members that signed up for the original test phase**

OrganisedConfusion
When is the deadline mate?
Bondy
Cool will do a new video cause I need serious help lol
kaznie_NL
hmm.. I'm not really fond of the video thing so.. I think I'll skip it. For me making a video takes about an hour! It's not like I just take my webcam or something, i dont have one wink.gif
superize
Was it possible to signup for both beginner and intermediate
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (superize @ Dec 10 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I was told I was allowed smile.gif
superize
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 10 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes. I was told I was allowed smile.gif

Then i will sign up for this to could use some help with some stuff.....

Will post everything later
Chris Evans
QUOTE (superize @ Dec 10 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

absolutly ok to sign up for both!, no probs there smile.gif
Jesse
Smells, count me in:D Im making a video tonight!
Jesse
HERES MINE!

Ok beforeall, I had to re-record 3 times due to crazy cam not recording:D

This time it worked but forgive me, I accidently didnt turn off the in-cam-mic function, This won' t happen in the future, it' s just, well, I forgot about it! And IT looks like I have 3 chins, I don' t. It' s because I was close to the camera and I was looking down:D Any more stuff you should know? eeehm... yeah! The synching is off by a thousand of a second due to windows movie maker! Enjoy the take... or don't!

What I want to achieve with MTP?
I just want to become an overall better player. I love working towards projects, and within the group, to see each others stuff and to learn from each other. Some stuff I really need to improve are major scale soloing, some neoclassical, and metal stuff . Alot! And this is another great way to play good guitar more! I would love to hear stuff from the mentor, regarding our uploads. It would be great to see progress over time!
Rock

Does anyone know how to view on a Mac? For some reason when I click on the link all I see is a Quicktime logo.
Praetorian
Hey Smells, is this going to be starting from the beginning of the MTP that I took part in the first time around? Or is it going to be new lessons? I would love to jump back in if it isn't repeating what we already did!
jer
I'm in.

And yeah, I'm fine working with a new Intermediate person. Whatever.

I'd like to be a better lead player. I've been at the same level for years and I'm tired of not progressing. I'm comfortable in my rhythm but I need to push it and get better.

I'd also like to be a better improv player and learn more about writing.

Video attached. I used my one from the MTP pilot since I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning and wont be back for almost a week.

Click to view attachment

GibsonScott
QUOTE (Rock @ Dec 10 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know how to view on a Mac? For some reason when I click on the link all I see is a Quicktime logo.

This happens to me from time to time as well - If I just right click and save the file first, opening the downloaded file seems to work for me. Hope this helps.
big harry
here i am again - for the third time trying to get involved wink.gif

i have signed up here
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...8612&hl=mtp

video of one mtp lesson i have done is here
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...0083&hl=mtp

and here
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=19898

i erased some of the videos because of the limited space, if there is need for them i can up them again but i guess smells and chris or Andrew should have them somewhere biggrin.gif

may i will be luckier this time cool.gif

cya
Harry

here´s another vid i have done
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry267789
Koopid
I would love to take part of the MTP program.

I will try to upload something but I don't think I have time to do it until next week, is this ok? I have sound recordings right now but Video takes some learning smile.gif I dont have a webcam so I will have to use a normal videocamera.

When is the deadline for the video?

I would like to improve my lead and.. dont know what to call it, advanced rythm? Lead Rythm? hehe. A melody that are part of the "rythmsection" behind the song if you catch my drift, not just chords. Powergalloping is an example i guess. I would also like to improve my theoryknowledge but I guess that is not part of the MTP?

Regards

//Koopid
Chris Evans
QUOTE (Koopid @ Dec 11 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will try to upload something but I don't think I have time to do it until next week, is this ok?

When is the deadline for the video?

Next week will be fine, the sign up will be running and open for a while, we`ll keep you informed of when we are looking to close the sign ups, but it wont be for a few weeks yet, we have to find the intermediates from the competition first, but we need this runniong as well so that everything is in place when they are ready to start smile.gif
Kristofer Dahl
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Dec 10 2008, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm.. I'm not really fond of the video thing so.. I think I'll skip it. For me making a video takes about an hour! It's not like I just take my webcam or something, i dont have one wink.gif

Didn't you record a video earlier for mtp? If so, use that one! smile.gif
opeth.db
Good Luck everyone! I sure been loving learning from Mr.Smells! smile.gif
Justinboy
Hi,

I would love to sign up as a student. What is the easiest, best way to supply you with a short video of my guitar experience? Thanks!

Alan
OrganisedConfusion
QUOTE (Justinboy @ Dec 11 2008, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I would love to sign up as a student. What is the easiest, best way to supply you with a short video of my guitar experience? Thanks!

Alan

Just a quick webcam showing you playing using some different techniques. It's basically to see whether you'd benefit as there is obviously no point in you being in beginner MTP if you are better than intermediate quality and can play better than the person teaching you. So just webcam or vid cam yourself playing guitar and discuss what you want to improve in your playing and what you want to be able to play (so say jazz or blues etc.)
Praetorian
Ok Smells...I followed your advice and am jumping onboard! The pilot program was great, and I am sure the actual program will be even better! Here is the last lesson video I uploaded from the pilot MTP program...this reflects closely my current playing.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=10963

I am still very focused on learning both the blues as well as metal. I love these two styles of music and enjoy playing them both! I am able to practice about an hour each day when I work and about 2 hours each day when I am off...after the kids go to bed of course! Can't wait to get started...thanks again!

Ben
big harry
ok folks

here i am again made some clips yesterday including

- John Frusciante style lesson
- Slow pentatonic lesson
- Pentatonic boxes 1 to 5
- Major Scale box 1
- Major Scale box 2
- Bon Jovi - You give love a bad name

i hope this will show the most parts of my playing and will be useful for the instructurs to categorize my level cool.gif

have fun

cya
Harry

PS: i hope this is enough Smells tongue.gif
Jesse
Showoff:D Just kidding!
valentino
Hi there
As you can see in my video I'm not a skilled player hehe.

I know some basics and I'm studing and learning a lot in the Theory Board.

My objetive of couse is to learn play guitar tongue.gif . My preference is soloing, but I know that rythm guitar is importat too to become complete guitarist.

I like very much Steve Vai's style, and I know that is very difficult to be as good as he is, but if I don't start I'll never know if this is possible tongue.gif

Here is my video.

I noticed that the part with backing track the volume isn't balanced so I also put another video with this part better balanced.

And I also want to put here the entry I have posted for the beginner competition.

SonofDestiny
Hey there,

I'm very interested in joining the MTP. Although I'm heading into a direction that seems the right one I still need guidance.
What I really want is to reach a professional level, but I think that that's more a goal for a multiple-year-plan. So right now I just want to really master the basics so I have a solid foundation. I'm talking about (speed)picking, legato, tapping, extending my lick library, bends, vibrato, rhythm playing and theory. I really like listening to all styles, but what I want to achieve is an accessible guitar style. I don't want to sound like MAB/Yngwie/Paul Gilbert, but rather like Eddie van Halen/Richie Sambora/Slash.

Pleaaaase let me be in this program!!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrHTf0dcgdU

Video: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...l=mtp&st=32

Audio listed below smile.gif
skennington
Here's my entry, there's a small spoken clip at the end as well. Please, I need help!!! laugh.gif

Bondy
Skennington Rocks!!!!

GMCs Best member & Hardest worker without a shadow of a doubt you've come on loads mate since joined well done.

As you will see from the videos I need lots of help LOL; one of main problems is motivation so a mentor would really give me a good kick up the rear to get me going. Technique wise my alt picking sweep picking and clean playing are my biggest problems I have a lot of bad habbits.please help

Joruus
Hi Smells,

I'd like to sign up for the new mtp smile.gif

This is my nicest trialMTP lesson video:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=10947

I still got an mtp lesson to finish but can't yet because my gmc membership ran out, and
my bank fails to send me a new creditcard (old one expired in september!) i hope to get
it before end of the year >__>

I want to learn everything needed to be a good guitarist, i need to learn all the basics first...
I like all styles,but mostly i'd love to play stuff like Vai, Satriani and Slash someday biggrin.gif

I can do some basic vibrato, bending and alternate picking, but im very bad with hammerons/pulloffs
and can't tap at all tongue.gif
OrganisedConfusion
Here is my entrance for the Beginner MTP. It would be a great help for me to be part of this. I need help. Both on guitar and mentally tongue.gif laugh.gif

Here is my introduction:

And a few of my latest collab videos that shows off where I am at the minute. smile.gif

Slow Blues

Rockabilly

Christmas

kaznie_NL
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 11 2008, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't you record a video earlier for mtp? If so, use that one! smile.gif

ahah, thanks for remembering me!! Now let's find that post wink.gif

Ok so here we go:

I'v started playing guitar around the age of eight. I didn't really practice or anything, so it didn't real work, but I did learn my chords. I really started playing last October, and in December I started using GMC. I can play solo's like the modern blues (Muris), so that's my solo lvl. For rhythm guitar, as I said I can play most chords and songs like hotel California and Save Tonight are not very hard to play along. For riffing and power chords… I used to play heavy metal for beginners 3, and now I play Pumping Rock lesson, so I can use power chords just fine. My finger style is limited, I can do some easy tunes (tears in heaven) but that's about it. In improvisation, I'm more of the less is more attitude, and I don't like shredding. That's why I prefer the more melodic collaboration, for example the recent Gary Moore Style collab. My theory knowledge is the pentatonic scale, relative minor, harmonics and some more bits and pieces (e.g. how to make triads). Also I know the major scale in theory, not in boxes.

I want to learn the following things in the coming 6 months:

-Better improvisation, more melodic playing. Being able to put feeling in my music. Also being able to write, and not just improvise. I'm very active in collaborations, so that helps wink.gif

-Major scale, being able to play the positions. Fluid use of the pentatonic scale.

-I'd love to play more rock riffs.. I live for 'em wink.gif I love riffs like those in AC/DC.

-Improved Vibrato. Better use of it, and my own developed style.

-Improve my fingerstyle, just adding more and more songs. I want to get it to a higher level.

Furthermore, I want to keep on playing in between everything to keep progress with it, mainly by doing more and more GMC lessons.

My style would be varied. Going from soft blues, to hard rock. When I listen to music, I prefer rock, pop and eighties music. For instance, I love Toto!

When I play I prefer to use a more melodic approach. Lots of blues and stuff

I'v uploaded a little video with some sort of a Kaznie Medley Just some different stuff to show what I can. I also added a little improv. This realy was an improv, because after all the settings were right, I took it straight away, no overdubbing or whatsoever. The backing came from Siggum, so credits to him!

When I typed this text, it was a while ago. I've improved quit a bit, so now I'm into the same stuff, just a level higher wink.gif the most important thing in music is, for me, being able to play live. Meaning know some cool stuff, and being able to play it without any troubles or mistakes.

This is a video (and improvisation) I recorded back when writing the text. I now have a new guitar wink.gif

Video: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...ost&id=9439
Little improv: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...ost&id=9440

For updated stuff.. I'm in the video collabs. So to see my playing, check out the Rockabilly collaboration, around 4:45.

superize
Ok here are some videos of my current playing level

The first videos is of Lian Gerbinos Viking-FOlk metal lesson and this describes my best side......Metal rythm the style i like to play the most....

This is a video of Muris Bb minor beginner lesson this video describes what i need to improve on..... Vibrato and Tone controll...... I have big difficulties to get my playing sound good and alive........

A video demonstrating my AP

Click to view attachment

Some of the goals i have is to improve my vibrato, AP and legato.......

I also want to learn some more theory... I have never really liked to read so going to the theary board and start reading everything is not an option for me i would like to learn theory while playing.........

Hopefully i can become a better player with some coaching on the side....

Velvet Roger
Hi guys,

Here is my entry for the MTP beginner part.

Video files

Here are a couple of videos which show my current level of playing (1st one more focussing on techniques, 2nd and 3rd one are more about 'feeling').

Christmas Rock Collab

Blues Ballad Collab

Slow Pentatonics Lesson

Audio files

Besides these videos I have participated in several collabs, of which I have attached the sound files in chronological order (it would probably also show how I progressed during the last months, and I don't even want to listen to some of the earlier ones anymore tongue.gif ).

Background

I have been playing the guitar effectively for about a year back in the early '90s, however lacked completely a proper lesson-plan etc etc. I was basically just trying to hit the strings and get proper sounds out of it (which to a certain extend even worked tongue.gif ). After this, I remained playing very minimal (sometimes once a month) for another 2 years, but then the guitars went to the attic.

Since about 1.5 years I have picked up my guitars again, and decided that this time things would go differently. I took lessons (which is extremely helpful getting the theory linked to the actual playing), but somehow it did not give me full joy. I came across GMC a while ago and since then I have developed myself quite a bit due to all the lessons, very valuable forum info and also the collabs. Since about 4 months I also play in a band, and am starting to write material for it smile.gif .

What do I want to achieve

I am interested in quite a few musical styles of which Jazz, Blues, Funk, Rock and Hard Rock are the most important ones. However, I would very much like to get more into other styles as I believe it will make me a better musician in the end.

In particular I am having quite some difficulties with several aspects of my playing (as compared to other parts), and I would love to improve those also in the MTP:

Lead

Sweep picking, arpeggiated alternate picking runs (at higher speeds), and in general shredding

Rhythm

Combining chords with lead lines (hybrid picking), especially developing them on my own (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSM3FL7zUdw).

Theory

Moving from knowing all the boxes of the major/minor scales, pentatonics and some of the modes towards 'on the spot' hearing which notes to play next (basically developing my ears more).

Although I would like to be able to playing some very fast runs if required, my ultimate goal is to become a good musician, and playing speed should only be a tool to reach that goal.

Finally, I do hope I will be selected for the MTP beginners as I certainly see all the benefits that come with it. Also, the actual obligation to show your progression on a regular basis will certainly be an extra stimulation to really work hard in achieving my long term goals.

Thanks for reading this awful long application smile.gif .

Roger
kaznie_NL
@ Velvet Roger: I just saw your christmas rock take... Beginner??? You're far to good wink.gif
jer
Any idea when we will be getting paired up with our instructors?
Velvet Roger
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Dec 18 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Velvet Roger: I just saw your christmas rock take... Beginner??? You're far to good wink.gif

Nah I have loads and loads to learn really, but thanks for the nice words smile.gif
Chris Evans
*****BUMP******

The Phase one Intermediate entry winners are soon to be announced biggrin.gif

With this in mind we still need more members to sign up to the beginner MTP! smile.gif

Soon we will be looking at pairing a beginner to an intermediate for the next phase of the competition, if you wish to be considered for this as well then make sure you have a sign up video in this thread no later than next weekend, (4th January)

smile.gif
kjutte
QUOTE (Smells @ Dec 29 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*****BUMP******

The Phase one Intermediate entry winners are soon to be announced biggrin.gif

With this in mind we still need more members to sign up to the beginner MTP! smile.gif

Soon we will be looking at pairing a beginner to an intermediate for the next phase of the competition, if you wish to be considered for this as well then make sure you have a sign up video in this thread no later than next weekend, (4th January)

smile.gif

Excited!!!
jdriver
QUOTE (Rock @ Dec 10 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quicktime doesn't like Windows Media, and vice versa. Use VideoLAN. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
jer
videolan is the shiz.

Barenaked Ninja
This first clip is from the collab I did for Muris' Blue Note in A.

This clip is my take on Sublime's Santeria solo.

I really need to work on my rhythm and theory. I've been playing for almost 8 years now and those two aspects of my playing aren't up to speed with my lead abilities.

I'd also like to work on techniques I've put off for way too long like tapping and sweep picking. I think this is a great idea and yet another reason why I love this site!
Toroso
I would like to take a go at this.

I want to improve everything about my playing! Lead, rhythm, theory, speed, dexterity, technique, everything.
The kind of music that interests me is a heavier blues/rock type of thing. If you could blend Zakk Wylde, Karma to Burn and ZZ Top together, that would be close to my goal. I have music in my head that I want to be able to get out and record. Below is my clip from Ivan's Christmas Rock collaboration and it's probably the best hing I've ever done.

Thanks for your consideration!

Dreamcatcher
I'd like to be considered for the beginner mtp I have a ton of bad habits that need addressing but most of all I could use a mentor who can help me understand theory and the basics of music. Here is a quick clip I threw together in a rush hoping to meet the deadline. No backing just me hacking up Eric Johnsons tune Cliffs of Dover. Yes there are a million flaws in here but I figure if I kept rerecording ..till all the sections were perfect ..well that would take a lil time hahaha anyways dont laugh too hard please

Oh and yes I am already on that not using my pinky thing haha
OrganisedConfusion
Is this now closed Chris or are you keeping it open for a bit longer?

I can't remember whether you said 3rd or 5th of January.
Chris Evans
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 4 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this now closed Chris or are you keeping it open for a bit longer?

I can't remember whether you said 3rd or 5th of January.

we`ll probably kep this thread open indefinatly, but we`re making a cut off point this weekend for sign ups to be included in the MTP competition smile.gif

we`ll be matching them up soon smile.gif
jer
Competition?

Maybe I don't know how this works....
Velvet Roger
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 4 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Competition?

Maybe I don't know how this works....

Smells is referring to the competition to become a mentor smile.gif
jer
Then that makes sense.
Boson
Hope I am in time to apply as a beginner on the MTP.

As the videos show I really am a virtual complete beginner and so any help, guidance and support I recieve will be greatly appreciated. These are the first ever videos I have made (I bought the cam yesterday especially for this) and so the quality isn't the best. I also quickly realised how difficult it is to play as well as you would hope whilst being aware that it is being filmed. Also its painful to see every little fault laid bare!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It has taken me the past three months or so to realise that if I learn the basics such as cage patterns and some thory then playing becomes easier. I would hope that a mentor would be able to keep me on track with this.

If accepted I hope to become a much better guitarist able to hold together a half decent solo. I am keen to try out different techniques and styles and hope to develop a better understanding of theory. On thing in particular I would like to improve is my phrasing.

What can I offer in return. Well commitment and enthusiasm for sure and a determination to improve. Who knows in a couple of years I may be able to act as a mentor to beginners too.

I enjoy all types of music but really I am a rocker at heart. 1970s blues based rock is where my heart lies so I admire guitarists like Kossoff, Blackmore, Clapton, Townsend, Gilmore, Hendrix and of course Keef!! How I wish I could play like them!

Cheers!
Praetorian
QUOTE (Smells @ Jan 4 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we`ll be matching them up soon smile.gif

Can't wait! If selected, will we have any say in our mentor? Or will it be decided for us?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.