Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7 String Tone
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > David Wallimann
The Uncreator
For the past few months, I have been playing 7 strings regularly for the first time. And I've noticed that normal tones and settings that I apply to my 6 strings dont quite fit my 7. Is there anything you take into considertation when working on a tone for your 7 string? Your older 7 string video, you have a very smooth and relaxed tone that doesnt seem to...Muddy I guess, like mine. I have an EQ set to accent the lower end a bit more, But is there anything else you do?

All help is much appreciated.
David Wallimann
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 2 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the past few months, I have been playing 7 strings regularly for the first time. And I've noticed that normal tones and settings that I apply to my 6 strings dont quite fit my 7. Is there anything you take into considertation when working on a tone for your 7 string? Your older 7 string video, you have a very smooth and relaxed tone that doesnt seem to...Muddy I guess, like mine. I have an EQ set to accent the lower end a bit more, But is there anything else you do?

All help is much appreciated.

That's a good question.
Now I have a confession to make, when it comes to gear, tone settings, and anything related to tone, I am pretty much clueless.
I know what I like or what I don't, but when looking for the tone, I usually just turn a bunch of buttons until I hear something I like. There are no rules that I go by because I don't know the rules.
I wish I was more knowledgeable in that matter. That is something I'd really like to spend time on.
That's why I usually rely on presets. I bought a Boss GT8 a while back and pretty much use some factory presets on all my lessons.
For the 7 string lesson I did a while back I used my Line 6 Spider 2 "insane" preset tone.
I'm sorry I'm not being helpful here.
Any one else has any suggestions?
Jakub Luptovec
Not that I am some tone expert - I am playing merely a year.. but what I know about 7 strings is, that their pickups are designed to pickup (heh..) more of the bass frequencies, so the treble and mid sound of the guitar should theoreticaly be naturally a bit scooped, so maybe boosting of these frequencies should help?

Once again I repeat I am probably wrong, but.. at least I try:P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.