Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enforcer-jer Mtp Sessions Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > MTP - The Mentored Training Program
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
enforcer
ok, in bar 94, you have a bending rock cliché, I would play this by placing my middle finger on 14th fret on G string, place my index to 12th fret in B string, and bend the 14th up to place play the 12th on B and using my ring play the 15th fret on B string. Another way to play that (especially if you have hard time bending the string up to right note) using index finger to fret 12th fret on B, use your ring on 14th fret on G string and bend with the help of middle finger and play the 15th fret on B string with the pinky. Its up to you to choose biggrin.gif

jer
yep, those are the two ways I've been trying it.

A full bend is 2 frets yes?

Bending that note that far and then quickly releasing and getting to the next note at the speed this is at is appearing darn near impossible to me.

enforcer
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 3 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep, those are the two ways I've been trying it.

A full bend is 2 frets yes?

Bending that note that far and then quickly releasing and getting to the next note at the speed this is at is appearing darn near impossible to me.

A full bend is 2 frets, and at full bend 14@G will be unison with 12@B, and one last thing, you dont change your position. Dont take your bend fingers away. Keep them there in the place, use mentioned fingers to play the other notes that is to say:

Put your index to 12@B put your middle and ring to 14@G Pick the G string, bend the 14th@G and keep that there, pick B string (12@B will ring) place your pinky to 15@B(while doing this still keep your other fingers in their place) pick B string (15@B will ring) take your pinky away(string mustnt ring), release the bend(without sound) pick G string bend the 14th, pick B string (12@B will ring) put your pinky at 15th. This is the cycle. Perform that slow, and eventually you'll start to do this in a flashing speed...
jer
ok, this will be on the video tonight.

Thanks.
enforcer
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 4 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok, this will be on the video tonight.

Thanks.

np man glad I could help biggrin.gif
jer
just did a 15min warmup

beginner strumming/arpeggios
string skipping exercise
Kris' Bending Exercise
Losfer Words

Then I had to stop and put my daughter back to bed....

Then 20 min on Tantarella The video is a couple times at 90bpm then once or twice at the full 120. I find it easier to play at full speed, except for the one part that you see me keep messing up. I have to tack on the last lick and at least I’ll know it all by memory.

20 min on AIC. All at -20 solo only.

Trooper video coming....
lcsdds
Jer,
One suggestion. Anytime you come across a lick like the AIC lick at the end where you make mistakes you need to isolate that portion of the lick and make an excercise out of it. If you are having a tough time with that at -30 then drop just that portion of the lick down to -50 or -60 and loop the lick. Then slowly crank up the speed. What is happening is you are playing the solo great until you get to that part and then you are screwing up. Then you go all the way back to the beginning, start over and screw up again. Isolate just that lick, work it up to speed and THEN play the whole thing through.

Sorry for butting in Can. I'll go to bed now. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Monte
jer
20 min on the trooper. Lots of talking in the video. You’ll see what’s happening.

hmmmmm, this cut off earlier than it was supposed to.... Dont know why. I still have the longer one. Gonna see if I can fix it.

uploading the second part now.

Monte,

Thanks for the input man. That makes a lot of sense. I think (rather I know) that I feel a lot of pressure to get this stuff done. Like its so simple and I shouldnt be taking this long to do it. Maybe its self induced, maybe it isnt, I dont know....

That is making me want to move faster than I think I should.

Part 2 of my trooper video

enforcer
Ok Bro, I see your problems and now we will try to solve them...

Firstly there is no hurry, really, dont feel you should end something by the end of a limited time, cos there is no such time, I seriously dont think I will be selected for the next round, not because of our problems here, but because of my own technical flaws, so we are comfy here, and we've got lots of time.

So in AIC exercise: The problem with inconsistencies in -30bpm are solely psycological in my guess. On -20 bpm on the other hand there is a lackof speed problem at the end(but slightly really), so why dont you play this with -25bpm? Try this like the following: -30 bpm 2 times(flawless in a row), -25 bpm 3-4 times(f.i.a.r), -20 bpm 4-5 times(f.i.a.r), -15bpm. You can speed up when acquiring indicated flawlessness (is that a word?) levels biggrin.gif

For the trooper: Ok buddy, you are doing the move correctly. Yeah you need time to do this, you see, you tell me that you need to think about every move that you are doing in this. This is right. This is right way to go. Yeah you are walking now, but how does a baby learns about running? Think of this, while you learn walking step by step, you run instinctively with time. You dont learn running. But get there by walking.

About rhythmic issues, one of the greatest reasons we are working with maiden songs are the strong bass guitar feel. To get the right feeling you need to listen to bass beats, not to the drums which gives you a very wide feeling of time when played slowly. Try this you'll feel the difference. To memorize this part you can use mumbling, try to listen to solo without playing it with your guitar, replicate it by singing it (mumbling is a better word here) Get it in your head, try to play that.

About triplets and timing, one cant teach you how to understand that nation, you have to feel it all by yourself, but I prepared a gpro file. You can listen to it and notice.

Second guitar pro exercise is an exercise for you, try to play that with metronome on. That will help you understand the timing feel with quarter and 8th triplets and normal quarter and 8th notes...

hope this helps, and cheer up, really, you may think you are getting there slowly, but its better to get there slowly and solidly rather than in a haste and with wounds. You are doing great, we all have up and down times from time to time, just remember how suddently you started to play losfer words in speed...

I see you are really trying to get there, and personally I am doing all my best to get you there, and with this we have no other choice but getting there buddy, so its just time...

Later man,

Can smile.gif
jer
Firstly there is no hurry, really, dont feel you should end something by the end of a limited time, cos there is no such time, I seriously dont think I will be selected for the next round, not because of our problems here, but because of my own technical flaws, so we are comfy here, and we've got lots of time.

Gotcha. OK. If you do get chosen we can break for a while and come back to it when you have time if you are willing. Well, you would get a break. Not me. I need to keep going!

So in AIC exercise: The problem with inconsistencies in -30bpm are solely psycological in my guess. On -20 bpm on the other hand there is a lackof speed problem at the end(but slightly really), so why dont you play this with -25bpm? Try this like the following: -30 bpm 2 times(flawless in a row), -25 bpm 3-4 times(f.i.a.r), -20 bpm 4-5 times(f.i.a.r), -15bpm. You can speed up when acquiring indicated flawlessness (is that a word?) levels

Got it.

For the trooper: Ok buddy, you are doing the move correctly. Yeah you need time to do this, you see, you tell me that you need to think about every move that you are doing in this. This is right. This is right way to go. Yeah you are walking now, but how does a baby learns about running? Think of this, while you learn walking step by step, you run instinctively with time. You dont learn running. But get there by walking.

So we just keep working at it slowly and surely building up speed? Eventually I'll be running? Or is there some particular line that we cross? Does that make sense? I'm not sure what I am saying.

About rhythmic issues, one of the greatest reasons we are working with maiden songs are the strong bass guitar feel. To get the right feeling you need to listen to bass beats, not to the drums which gives you a very wide feeling of time when played slowly. Try this you'll feel the difference. To memorize this part you can use mumbling, try to listen to solo without playing it with your guitar, replicate it by singing it (mumbling is a better word here) Get it in your head, try to play that.

Got it. I'll do that.

About triplets and timing, one cant teach you how to understand that nation, you have to feel it all by yourself, but I prepared a gpro file. You can listen to it and notice.

Second guitar pro exercise is an exercise for you, try to play that with metronome on. That will help you understand the timing feel with quarter and 8th triplets and normal quarter and 8th notes...

OK. Honestly I jus thavent tried triplets enough. I have looked at triplet exercises before and didnt "get it" right away so I quit. Then more recently others have tried explaining them to me as well. I listened but didnt put it into practice immediately. I just need to stop and dig in. Its not going to come to me automatically is it? smile.gif

hope this helps, and cheer up, really, you may think you are getting there slowly, but its better to get there slowly and solidly rather than in a haste and with wounds. You are doing great, we all have up and down times from time to time, just remember how suddently you started to play losfer words in speed...

I see you are really trying to get there, and personally I am doing all my best to get you there, and with this we have no other choice but getting there buddy, so its just time...

Yeah. No worries. I'm in a good place with it all. I just need to forget about time. I've spent less than 45 minutes on that run in the Trooper. Am I expecting myself to be able to play like Dave and Adrian after only 45 min? Thats just plain unrealistic. I need to calm down about time deadlines and just keep going. It'll fall into place in time.

You are doing great. Thanks for working with me. I appreciate it a lot.

I'm not whining about this. Or getting down on myself. Just sharing my feelings so you know where I am coming from on the inside. I figure it'll help you understand me better.

I'm up for more theory today if you have time. No worries if not. IF we have any uncovered stuf from yesterday lets clean that up first. Did we answer everything?

enforcer
I can say I am very happy to be able to work with you and I have to state this plainly: You are a great student. You see your errors honestly and just dont try to finish them asap. That is a great way to go and this way you'll be more carefull and play better, much better then me I guess.

I will have to go to soundcheck in an hour, we have a gig tonight, so theory stuff may be a little short for today. But I'll do my best to keep it, well, adequate.

Lets talk about chords shall we? Lets start with you, what do you know about them? Where do you think your weakness lie in this?
jer
Thanks Can, Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

smile.gif

No worries ont he theory stuff. When you have time I'm ready. If not, not a big deal. We're not on a schedule remember? wink.gif

Chords.

Chords are made by using tones of the parent scale.

A chord has 3 or more different notes in it.

The root note doesnt have to be the lowest note in a chord but it seems is usually is. I think having a different note in the bass is an "inversion".

Major/Minor chords = 1-3-5 of the parent scale.
major/minor 7 = 1-3-5-7
major/minor9th = 1-3-5-7-9

etc....

jer
Tonights Workout

Warmup

String skipping and a couple of covers. Pretty sloppy, but I havent played them in a while. Rhythms only. Along with the cd. Nothing fancy.

Tantarella Rock – Problem. There are only 2 backings and a very lacking GP file. I am doing ok at 90 bpm (75%) but 120 bpm (full speed) us too fast. Any suggestions? I tried playing the part I am stuck on to just a metronome beat and it didn’t go well at all. I couldn’t follow it. But the backing track I follow fine. I'm gonna have to force myself to work solely with that ANNOYING AS @$*# click arent I? smile.gif

AIC – Here is the solo at minus 25. It’ getting better. This is about the most consistent Ive been. I'm pleased with this.

Trooper – First the rhythm up to the solo at -10. Lets see if I can do that again on the first try. Made some errors early on but the main part of it is still there. I'm confident I can keep this up at -10 bpm without a whole lot of effort. I thought the rhythm at close to full speeds would be tougher than it is.

Trooper Solo – Half speed. I’m certainly feeling better here. I added on the next part and am feeling it all better now.

DANG IT!!!!!

All of my videos are cut off again.

We didnt lose anything this time. just more of the same.

After watching these again, there was much better Tantarella stuff after that cut off. I was improving more....

and of course, a big chunk of the Trooper rhythm part is missing.

Tantarella was first when I rendered them, I must have set something by accident so the others are the exact same length.....

I'll be more careful tomorrow night.

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
enforcer
Wow, it was a rough night last night! Gig was awesome and I literally drowned myself in the bottle biggrin.gif

Great tunes buddy, and great playing, but we do know you play metal rhythms just fine dont we? wink.gif
\m/ \m/ \m/

Ok lets take a look to the stuff that you have done:

Theory stuff: Chords are ok for time being, everything is fine so there is nothing to see here, move along... tongue.gif laugh.gif

Tarantella: Ok, you definetly nailed all the notes. There are some minor timing issues buddy, especially when you are doing trills, keep at this speed for a while, try to play all that without a single error and with confident playing. I know you started this very soon, and you totally rock now that you can play this as a whole under a heavy workload. Thank you. And about that metronome issue, if there is no other backing between %75 and %100 I am afraid you'll need to play it with that annoying metronome clicks sad.gif

AIC: That is some good playing buddy. This works for me, your bends were great, timing adequate, last fast part was flawless over all great job. Now try to play like this in -20bpm

Trooper Rhythm: Ok here I believe there are some places you overplayed bro, for example, I cant see you picking hand but in main melody it looks like there is a picking management issue. That is like when you finish the trill you have to plan how you will pick the upper string... An upstroke or a downstroke? Take your time with this, play it very very slowly, concentrate on your picking hand and think about your right hand movements.. That should do the trick biggrin.gif

Trooper Solo: Obvious improvements. You do a great job here. Do you still feel that you are lost in timing? You dont look like that. Dont forget to count the triplets and the 16th's, and remember second fast part after the bending lick is in constant speed, it doesnt get fast biggrin.gif

Ok, that is going as planned, if you want you can check some older videos tonight before you start to play. You improved so much buddy. Just keep this like that laugh.gif

jer
Great tunes buddy, and great playing, but we do know you play metal rhythms just fine dont we?
Sure. Just sharing what I warmed up with. And who knows, maybe you'll spot something in my playing there that will help me figure out the stuff we are doing better.

Trooper Rhythm: Ok here I believe there are some places you overplayed bro, for example, I cant see you picking hand but in main melody it looks like there is a picking management issue. That is like when you finish the trill you have to plan how you will pick the upper string... An upstroke or a downstroke?
I think I know what you mean here. I think a couple of times I trilled it too many times, adding a note that shouldnt be there. Is that what you are hearing?

Trooper Solo: Obvious improvements. You do a great job here. Do you still feel that you are lost in timing? You dont look like that. Dont forget to count the triplets and the 16th's, and remember second fast part after the bending lick is in constant speed, it doesnt get fast
Timing is better, using the bass as the guide into that. So starting the bendy lick is better. Once I'm in it though I still feel a bit lost. I'm not really counting anything other than, ok do 1 of these, and they get faster at the end. Hopefully I end it at the right time!

Dont forget to count the triplets and the 16th's,
Yeah, so far I'm not counting anything like that. And I dont know where to start. I forgot to look at those GP files you uploaded. Maybe that will help. Or perhaps you could throw up a quick video explaining it? I can send you my half speed backing if you want.

CONGRATS on the good gig by the way!

\m/ \m/
enforcer
I think I know what you mean here. I think a couple of times I trilled it too many times, adding a note that shouldnt be there. Is that what you are hearing?

yeah that is it biggrin.gif

Now, MTP is officially over, and we got the pression off our shoulders. We will keep on the schedule... I am not sorry that I didnt got selected, on the contrary I am glad that we continue together...

Lets make you a great guitarist buddy biggrin.gif
jer
Sounds good Can. I sure appreciate you sticking with me. I know this is work for you too. I am more than understanding if you need to drop out of daily contact at any time. You've got lots to do in your life too I'm sure. Just let me know here in our thread. I'll keep going on the stuff I have on my plate and we'll catch up when you get back.

As long as you are around I'll keep firing questions at ya as I have them. And I'll keep going thru the theory stuff that you bring up here.

So, here is my current status.

Tantarella - get it clean at -30 Fix the trills. The speed it up with the dreaded metronome clicks.

AIC - I'm getting sick of playing this to be honest. But I dont see any value in quitting. I'm gonna keep at it and shoot for 7 clean solos in a row at -20

Trooper - I am approaching this in 2 secions. Rhythm and Solo. For rhythm, I'll back it off to -15 bpm (I was at -10) and clean up all the trills. Eliminate the tendancy to overplay them. Then once its consistant, bring it back to -10 then -5. For the solo, I'll keep on at half speed until I understand the time sig and am playing it 100% clean.

Cool?
enforcer
YEah buddy biggrin.gif Wonderfull!
jer
Hey admins?

Do we need to move our thread?
jer
FYI - I took the night off. Went out to dinner with some friends. Enjoying some whiskey right now.

Think I'm gonna play some poker... Or watch a movie...

I dunno.

Gonna give the six stringer a rest tonight.
enforcer
Ok buddy as you wish. I will have to go to somewhere for the weekend and I doubt there is an internet connection there... So send your videos, I'll do an extensive commentary when I return. And also feel free to ask Dan, to join you in your exercises, I dont know if he accepted my offer (or seen it already biggrin.gif) and if you have urgent questions for the weekend I am sure Monte will help you in my absence. Take care bro and keep on working biggrin.gif Nothing can stop us now! laugh.gif
jer
Have a good weekend Can!

Talk to ya later.

Hey Dan, you need to learn the other half of thesde Maiden harmonies.....

jer
My next vids

AIC - all at -20 Yeah, I sped it up a bit and its ok. Not real good but -20 will be my new baseline as I work towards -15.

Tantarella - I had this fine til I hit the SUCK button. You know, the one that says record?

The Trooper - I added on a bit more and kept playing the rest. Still at 1/2 speed. Still shaky as I get the notes memorized and try to feel the beat more.

enforcer
Jer I am back! biggrin.gif I spent the weekend studying a damn exam, I hope I'll do it fine.. I will write comments about your work, just I wanted you to congratulate you you lead the january competition biggrin.gif and nice outfit!

Later man laugh.gif
jer
Welcome back.

And thanks!
enforcer
AIC, man really I got nothing to say about this, you are getting there just a little patience smile.gif

Tantarella, man you need to slow this a little bit to get there. I know there isnt any bt between 80 and 120 bpm but you need to cool down on this, to provide consistency...

Trooper, this speed is just fine, you dont have any playing errors buddy, just some memorizing issues. You need to memorise the counts of all repetitions to get this down. And IMO dont start the second solo without completing the first.

But really I am so amazed when I saw your videos buddy, you are far more comfy with your guitar now, and in one month you exorcised your soloing demons. That is wonderful, I would like to give you new things this week, so I hope you nail AIC and tantarella biggrin.gif

You are doing great buddy. And also I hope we'll have a Competition Winner in these days biggrin.gif

Cheers Man! biggrin.gif
jer
Thanks Can!

I'm going to slow down a bit.

We finally have a drummer for our band so there are some band things I need to be working on too. Not any less guitar playing, just more things I need to be playing.

No worries on forging ahead. I just wont have new videos as often.

jer
Tantarella - Hey Can, I may be reading you wrong, but is sounds like you feel this one is farther off than I feel it is. There is only 1 part that I consistently stumble on. And its not every time. Do you feel there are issues with me playing it up to speed?

AIC - This one will still take some time. I hope to nail it at -20 this week.

With the band stuff firing up again, and me still working on AIC and the Trooper into next week and beyond, can we limit the new stuff to 1 item?

Believe me there is no shortage of guitar playing going on here. Quite the contrary. \m/ \m/ I'm playing multiple times every day. It hasnt been like this in years.

Also, the stuff I'm doing in the band, even though its 95% rhythm based, it all sounds better. Like you pointed out, comfortable. I am certainly more comfortable and happier playing. I feel that I am better each week than I was before. And while I'm still playing the same stuff with the band that I could play 3 months ago, I am playing it MUCH BETTER. And it was fine before. But now, its better. Its hard to say how, but it is.

enforcer
Ok man, just make sure that you are working on your exercises too. Now that you have lots of songs and solos to play, I may give you a more exercise oriented program. Is that ok for you? But be awared, I cant guarantee that those exercises are fun to play biggrin.gif
jer
Yeah, thats all good bro.

The exercises I have been working on are the string skipping one and then once in a while the Strumming/Arpeggios and very rarely the finger independence once.

enforcer
And about tantarella, bro I dont know why but the way you play that exercise made me feel like you a little hurried to speed up. It felt (I am talkin about the video) like you were barely keeping that speed there. That is why I asked you to do that way. Maybe you will have time to make a new video to make me consider this ok?

Good job with this new band bro! Hope you enjoy it! laugh.gif
jer
I'm not in a hurry to speed it up, any more than I am any others anyway. Its a lot easier than the others and more within my grap at full speed so I guess I'm going for it quicker. Since its closer.

Does that make sense?

For my next video of that I'll do the 90bpm one, a full speed one, and one in the middle. (with the metronome)
enforcer
perfect bro, I am awaiting it!
jer
yeah....

today is going really poorly.

It happens from time to time. Nothing you can do about it. Don't let it get ya down and just return later and make up for it.

Tantarella is sloppy. I am having trouble with the fast part again. I played it great the first time thru but no camera. Then I couldn't do it again so that was just a fluke anyway.

AIC? This is really bad. At minus 20 I don't think I did a single one correctly.

The Trooper? I played it some, but I'm not finding the correct timing again for the 2 repeating licks. Its worse than last time. I didn't video it, I was getting too frustrated....

I'm going to try more later tonight if I can turn my mood around.

jer
Just sat down and did some more.

I did find a way to feel where I am in the Trooper by listening to the real song. Its tough at half speed though... Hopefully it'll still help.

I tried Tarantella rock again.... I am getting VERY frustrated. I did it fine the first time though. Then its crap each other time.

jer
FYI - I'm keeping my practice agenda updated more now too.

Feel free to check that out.
enforcer
Ok buddy, sorry for not being around for a while, these are trying days for me, I have my grad exams for this semester, I am like having 11 exams for the week. Its like hell. And plus I nearly had to go to military service for 15 months, thanks god I could prevent it for now smile.gif

Now about your exercises, I need to know if did you ignore your practice routine for few days? It can be only a bad day for you when you took these videos but I must say that you are right about saying these are not your best playing. And strangely you played them extreeemely sloppy, and generally I love your enthousiasm for perfection, and really when watching to those, I wasnt sure if it was you who was playing on these. (Maybe some excessive gain on amp?)

I wait your next set of videos ASAP, to write my final comments on those because if you are developping a sloppy playing, we need to take extreme cautions to prevent this going further.

Keep playing man, believe me these are not only tunes or soloing parts, but are exercises to make you a better guitarist.

Cheers laugh.gif

Can
jer
Hey Can,

No worries on you being busy. I understand totally and I have my work cut out for me so I can continue in your absense no problem.

My latest video was on the 10th. The next one back was on the 7th. So yeah, there were 2 days in here where 2 days where I didnt go far enough in anything to video it. I did practice on the 8th, but that was mostly band stuff to get ready to play with the new drummer. I did a lot of playing on the 9th at practice.

So yeah, I'd say I backed off a bit for 2 days. But not completely. Not like I was away from my guitar or anything. I think there is some burnout on the AIC solo. That -20 wall is pretty tall and I'm having trouble climbing it. The Trooper, Yeah, I am slowly moving forward but at half speed. I try not to think about it but how in the world will I ever play those parts 2x as fast? Both of those songs are bumming me out. I just need to power through it I know.

Tantarella is certainly in my ability to do. And when I pick up my guitar and hit play I do it just fine. The 1st time. Then I hit record and it goes right in the toilet.

I will be doing some more tonight.

It will be later on (9pm my time or so) We have an appointment to get our taxes done tonight.
enforcer
Ok, when I wake up to go to school for my exam, I'll watch it biggrin.gif
jer
Sounds good.

jer
Tantarella

Tonight, not too bad. I went thru it 2 times on 90 before hitting record. The full speed one is the first time I played it at that speed tonight. This brings up an interesting point. I have never felt that anytime my playing is in the gutter, that its due to needing to warm up more, or the fact that I just started playing. The last time I had my guitar in my hand it was all crap. I picked it up and did this song pretty well tonight. Right off the bat. Things are VERY inconsistant with me. They always have been. Its a mental thing I guess.

I'm not saying that warming up isn't needed. Its needed to help you not injure yourself. But it doesn't really prep me for my lesson stuff..... At least I don't feel it does.

The Trooper

Ehhhh, this one is frustrating me. I don't feel its getting better at all and I don't feel like it will because all I'm doing is mimicking the lead guitar. Trying to keep up with it. The drums and bass don't even need to be there to accomplish what I am accomplishing.

AIC

I messed up as much as I did right, maybe more. Wildly inconsistent. Back to -30 and -25. No end to this in sight.

PART 1

PART 2

I'm starting to wonder if I am practicing right. I'm hitting a wall of some sort. In any of this, except maybe Tantarella, I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I feel like it'll be like this for the next 2 weeks or more then maybe, or maybe not, will it get any better.
Outlaw2112
just keep it up and youll get it... seems like there are always walls, you just gotta bust through them
concentrate on the parts that are giving you the most problems and work on those over and over til you get them
then the rest of it will seem easier....

Thats just what i do to get over the barriers that are always in my way..

cool.gif
enforcer
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Feb 12 2009, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just keep it up and youll get it... seems like there are always walls, you just gotta bust through them
concentrate on the parts that are giving you the most problems and work on those over and over til you get them
then the rest of it will seem easier....

Thats just what i do to get over the barriers that are always in my way..

cool.gif

Just couldnt agree you more John.

Ok, I didnt sleep last night at all because of dang exams, and now I need to go to school for my exams, hopefully I will write comments about them this afternoon. I think.

Later man biggrin.gif
jer
No worries Can, I know you'll get to it.

In the meantime it doesn't change what I need to be doing.

I have band practice tonight then I'll be home. Hopefully I'll still have enough energy to get a session in before bed.

jer
I think my next plan of action is this.

Break down the AIC solo again. Work on it in individual chunks. One problem I'm having is after I mess up a part in the beginning I think about it as I go into the next section and mess that up too... Working on it in chunks will allow me to improve it 1 section at a time. There won't be enough to play to worry about whats coming next.

I may as well do this with the Trooper too. But here I need to figure out what to play to. Each time I think I have a reference point to follow it doesnt end up working. Is it just me or do big parts of that solo barely follow the backing? Its not a straightforward, anchored to the beat, line it seems... What are your thoughts here Can, I've mentioned this a few times and you haven't really commented. is it just me? How do you recommend playing to something like this? Like I said in my video, I just find myself locking into the lead line and copying it. Instead of playing in front of the rhythm. Perhaps I should remove the lead part from the backing and see what happens...
jer
OK. I did a quick 30 min after work today since the wife and daughter aren't home yet.

Tantarella - not too bad. The fast part that usually messes me up was almost perfect every time I played it. Not perfect but a LOT better than 3 days ago.

The Trooper - explanation on the video

enforcer
another sleepless night buddy, I am really sorry that I dont even have 10 mins to write comments sad.gif but hang in there buddy one last night and my torture is over...

jer
no prob man. I just keep forging on!

enforcer
Ok buddy, I know I am late for this but here is your comments:

Tantarella:
Good overall, but as you mentioned it, not perfect. You have a sloppy mutting start, there are lots of unwanted string noise. Is is a little excessive gain, or just not enough muting? I dont know biggrin.gif And for the first note of the melody when the drums kicks in, you cut it a little short and misplaced, it is the first note of a well know melody so it has to ring like hell! biggrin.gif And there is a problem with your trills. Yeah, trills are a very fast sequence of hammeron/pulloff however fast they could be, they need to be on a fraction of the tempo of the song. You play it like this: you play the previous part a la tempo, you get to the trill part, you play them out of sync, then you continue on tempo. Meditate on this you should laugh.gif

Trooper:
This is going just fine. Taking the lead guitar aout of the eq. is a good solution to your problem, and honestly I always wondered why you kept it there, (maybe as a guide for accurate bends) No matter, this is going better, you got a bend problem at 0:58 on your video, a little attention there, also you need to play the pentatonics descents and ascends a little more fluidly, I will help you about that as soon as possible dont worry. and you are good to go! biggrin.gif

Man I am really sorry for last week but it was hell, but I passed 11 out of 11 and my problems are over! biggrin.gif
Just a few days and we will start with other exercises, dont worry I am still by your side laugh.gif

Cheers smile.gif
jer
Great news on the 11 out of 11 buddy!!!!! Nicely done!!!!

Thanks for the comments. I'll put them into place asap. Though I'm not sure I follow you on the one about the trills.

And yeah, that muting part is tough on that string for some reason.

Excessive gain? Is there such a thing? wink.gif I'll try a different setting next time I do Tantarella.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.