Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat 5th Interval
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Andrew Cockburn
sigma7
Hey there Andrew! I'm really stumped on the theory of a flat fifth chord interval. Im learning Heavy Metal for Beginners 3 by Pavel Denisjuk ( http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...for-beginners3/ ) and he mentions how he uses a flat fifth interval chord to add a powerful sound. This is on video 6. Anyway, I do not understand how he is using a flat fifth interval because he goes from a D5 to a G#5. I think he is using the scale E natural minor, so how is G# a flat fifth? I would think it would be a flat fourth. Can you clarify this for me because I don't see Pavel around for him to clarify this himself.

Thanks
Alex Siggy B

P.S. If I am not clear enough about my question, please tell me. smile.gif
Andrew Cockburn
Pavel is talking about the interval between the root notes of his 2 chords -

D to A would be a 5th, so D to G# (Ab) would be a flattened 5th -

You are kind of correct in that G# is a flattened fourth from the root note of E in the scale of E minor, but that was not what Pavel was talking about, he was purely discussing the interval between the 2 chords - hope that clears it up!
sigma7
ooohhhh ahahahaaha im an idiot, thanks Andrew!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.