Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ajmurrell Mentored By Muris
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Muris Varajic > MTP (Muris)
Ajmurrell
Hi Ho Muris my friend,

First of all thanks for taking the time to do this for us, and especially considering its 1 on 1 basis compared to the group - I might have fallen behind as there are some very impressive players here in the final stages of the MTP!

Now I shall give you a brief overview of my playing history and goals...

The life of Ajmurrell and his relation to guitar

I was 16 when I first started my relationship with the guitar, it was a simpler and much more peacefull time then... Ok so I'll drop the writer style talk tongue.gif

So yes, been playing since I was 16 and am now 22. I recieved lessons for the first year an a half, and in all honesty I made most of my progress during that first year. I practiced daily for hours, improved dramatically from week to week and without sounding arrogant, pretty much got to the point where I exceeded my tutors teaching ability.

Thats what she said at least, maybe in actual fact I was a brat and got on her nerves and wanted to pass me on to someone else biggrin.gif

Problem was she charged £20 an hour and the guy she recommended to me, who tutored at the Guitar Institute, charged £50 or similar. Back then I couldn't afford it and I tried to teach my self.

My problem was previously I worked VERY hard in order to start to sound any good, and now that I sound reasonable with certain midrange techniques and skills, the motivation for pushing further was much less considering I already could play some stuff that was pleasing to the ear.

So essentially, I stopped making any solid progress, but just kinda got better at my already achieved abilities... If that makes sense.

Current abilities and level

I shall provide some video's shortly on this section - for now check out the material I provided for the MTP competition a few months ago: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...rt=#entry308493

I'd say most of my techniques are somewhere around the intermediate level including, tapping, alternate picking, sweep picking etc. More complicated techniques such as hybrid picking, and genre's such as country and fusion are completly new to me.

My weakest area is my theory knowledge, this is where I struggle to make progress in terms of being creative. I would like to focus on this quite a lot. Maybe in combination with technique exercises? I know my minor/major pentatonics and add a few notes too certain backing tracks that "sound" right to me... but I wouldnt know "Oh here I can use Dorian" etc. I'd just know, this first chord is Amin, so I'll play Amin pentatonic.

Another problem I have is pushing my speed ability. I'm not desperate to reach high shred levels, but jsut to be able to use a wider range of note durations at given tempo's. I also find it difficult to push myself into new speed tempo's with lessons here at GMC.

For example I've been working on Emir's Vinnie Moore lesson for a few months and got it up to 90bpm, but found it difficult to really make that jump to 120bpm.

Here's my most recent take on that lesson: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...rt=#entry310122

Goals!

To sell you a trip to.... I mean, eh hem... tongue.gif

I would really like to improve my theory knowledge with some licks and ways to use certain modes in songs. I'd also like to push my alternate picking speed and start to explore some new sounds on the guitar. Break me out of the minor/major pentatonics! Please! biggrin.gif
Emir Hot
This is going to be great thread. Good luck here
Ajmurrell
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 18 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is going to be great thread. Good luck here

Thanks Emir smile.gif Hope you pop in whenever you can biggrin.gif

Muris, I'll record some current playing skill video's tomorrow or Friday. Untill then I've posted links to the same stuff I recorded for the MTP intermediate trials a few months ago.
Ajmurrell
I'll post my videos here Muris smile.gif

First for the day!

Muris Varajic
Take on Money really made my day Adam,
that's one of my fav Gilmour's solos!! smile.gif

Now, I was watching your take on Emir's Vinnie Moore lesson
and I noticed that your picking hand changed its shape few times,
you started with kind a anchored fingers, then you closed it nicely
but at the end you anchored it once more.
Since I'm some sort of a "closed fist fan" I hope that you'll pay
more attention to this matter, changing it this much during playing
might cause you some problems, specially with alternate picking.

So, in order to get away from pentatonic stuff I guess
we need to focus more on diatonic 3nps chops.
I have tons of ideas for you atm but I'll try to give you
as simple task for the start as possible. wink.gif

Here are few lessons that I suggest you to work on,
you'll find some modes here as well,
try to "steal" as many ideas as you can and apply to your own playing.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...r-style-lesson/
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...lydian-soloing/
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...g-intermediate/

I'd like to hear from you in 7 days (or before if you can make it) with videos if possible,
shoot if you have any questions tho and good luck! smile.gif

Ajmurrell
Awesome stuff Muris, I'll get working on those straight away!

This is going to be a lot of fun!

In regards to picking hand shape, should I try and keep in closed from now on?

Thanks again Muris smile.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Feb 19 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take on Money really made my day Adam,
that's one of my fav Gilmour's solos!! smile.gif

Now, I was watching your take on Emir's Vinnie Moore lesson
and I noticed that your picking hand changed its shape few times,
you started with kind a anchored fingers, then you closed it nicely
but at the end you anchored it once more.
Since I'm some sort of a "closed fist fan" I hope that you'll pay
more attention to this matter, changing it this much during playing
might cause you some problems, specially with alternate picking.

So, in order to get away from pentatonic stuff I guess
we need to focus more on diatonic 3nps chops.
I have tons of ideas for you atm but I'll try to give you
as simple task for the start as possible. wink.gif

Here are few lessons that I suggest you to work on,
you'll find some modes here as well,
try to "steal" as many ideas as you can and apply to your own playing.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...r-style-lesson/
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...lydian-soloing/
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...g-intermediate/

I'd like to hear from you in 7 days (or before if you can make it) with videos if possible,
shoot if you have any questions tho and good luck! smile.gif

Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Feb 19 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome stuff Muris, I'll get working on those straight away!

This is going to be a lot of fun!

In regards to picking hand shape, should I try and keep in closed from now on?

Thanks again Muris smile.gif

You're welcome!

If ask me I would keep it closed but that's just me. smile.gif

Ajmurrell
Thought I'd give you an update Muris...

So far I've been working on the first lesson you've given me, the steve lukather one. As I expected I'm fairly comfortable with the more spacey licks, but not at all used to the 3 nps runs and even the triplet 4 note pull offs! Although the 4 note pull offs I can manage I'm finding it tricky to get the different note lenghts to sound right.

The descending scale lick later on in the song is going to take me most of the week I can feel, but just for your information I think the rest of the lesson I was reasonable comfortable with on day 2.

Definitely finding the longer passages harder, even if they're a bit technically less demanding than say the bend tapping section. I actually find that bit easier.

Work to do! smile.gif
Muris Varajic
Yeah, I know what you're saying,
those chops are pretty much different from
ordinary 2nps pentatonic stuff you're already used to,
there is some new fingering and also new timing included,
I hope it'll expand your lick library. smile.gif
Ajmurrell
Here's a take of Steve Lukather's lesson Muris.

This is after 2 ish days? Mainly because I don't practise during the weekend as I spend time with my partner as I don't see her much during the week.

My week days however are majoritly completely free, so can put as many hours in as needed smile.gif

I know there are a lot of timing issues, but I can honestly say that its just me making errors while getting the runs imprinted in my muscle memory for now, so will clean up a lot over the next few days I'm sure.

The 3note arpeggio downward pattern only turned out to be this fluid today, literally the last time I practised this I couldn't do it without stopping halfway through and thinking about what I was doing next!

Progress Muris, Progress! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

p.s. just noticed I forgot to try and make a fist more with the right hand!
Muris Varajic
Yeah, I can see many timing issues,
you probably didn't have much time to listen to main video enough,
once it gets stuck into your ears nicely all timing issues will be gone,no worries.
Good thing is, you DID work on it and I guess
you can apply some of those licks when you're improvising, right?
Keep it up, we have more time to spend on this, back to work! wink.gif
Ajmurrell
Hey Muris, sorry for the delay in posting things here!

I've chosen to conquer all my challenges in the same month it appears and am pushing myself harder than I ever have before in respect to my anxiety. I even made it to London this weekend! Am going out daily and challenging the anxiety. More than I have, and with better results than I've seen in years.

Now I'll admit this has been a bit of a focus over the last week, I promised my girlfriend months ago I'll take her to Paris for our anniversary which is later this month, and nothing is going to get in the way of preparing me for that.

Now, you may say to yourself what energy is left over to put into my guitar training? Well I can tell you there's A LOT. Be prepared for some serious progress over the coming week, and also to test me hard if you have the time!

I live for the challenge biggrin.gif

Muris Varajic
No worries Adam, I'm very happy to hear
that your personal issue is becoming less serious each day,
looking forward to your new takes, keep it steady! smile.gif
Ajmurrell
Here's a more practiced take on the Steve Lukather lesson Muris smile.gif

Apologies in advance about the lack of clothes tongue.gif

Muris Varajic
Hot look!! laugh.gif

That was much better played Adam,
timing was more in and those 3nps runs
seem to get to you slowly, which is one of the things
you mentioned as Goals, to get away from Pentatonic and such.

Ok, lets break with Luke a bit and focus on AP more.
Have you worked on any AP lesson lately?
Ajmurrell
I have done actually, and feeling a little more used to alternate picking. Its beginning to set in as my standard picking technique, but as we've talked before, my left hand/right hand sync when speeding up is a bit out of balance.

Thanks for the compliments smile.gif Felt I nailed it a bit more, and certainly felt way more in time and much easier to be more expressive in my own way once I was used to it.

On to AP it is Muris! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 9 2009, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hot look!! laugh.gif

That was much better played Adam,
timing was more in and those 3nps runs
seem to get to you slowly, which is one of the things
you mentioned as Goals, to get away from Pentatonic and such.

Ok, lets break with Luke a bit and focus on AP more.
Have you worked on any AP lesson lately?

Muris Varajic
Ok then!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...n-speed-bursts/

There's one cool lesson including pure AP
with lots of time shifting, only G scale is involved
but you can apply same thing to any other scale as you know.

Check it out and let me know which backing you would like to start with. smile.gif
Ajmurrell
Looks a great exercise to me, and I think those speed bursts will test my ability to stay clean and in synch.

Getting to work on it right away smile.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 9 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok then!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...n-speed-bursts/

There's one cool lesson including pure AP
with lots of time shifting, only G scale is involved
but you can apply same thing to any other scale as you know.

Check it out and let me know which backing you would like to start with. smile.gif

Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks a great exercise to me, and I think those speed bursts will test my ability to stay clean and in synch.

Getting to work on it right away smile.gif

Killer, let me know about backing tho. smile.gif
Ajmurrell
If I could grab the upto tempo backing, and the one thats the inbetween tempo (not the slowest one on the lesson video) that would be ace. If both is awkward, just the upto speed one will be fine smile.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 9 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Killer, let me know about backing tho. smile.gif

Muris Varajic
There you go Adam, 130 and 110. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Ajmurrell
Many thanks Muris smile.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 9 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There you go Adam, 130 and 110. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many thanks Muris smile.gif

Happy practicing! smile.gif
Ajmurrell
I can play it "comfortably" at half speed, at 110bpm... So at 55bpm!!! Ha... Then I play it at 3/4 speed at 110bpm using guitarpro, and my triplets are already not in synch and sound out. My left hand can't consistantly play at that speed either. Oh dear! So... might be a case of slowly increasingmy speed for a while!

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 9 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Happy practicing! smile.gif
Muris Varajic
Then focus more on triples, why not!
Ajmurrell
hehe, I'll definitely practice it all together, but it is the triplets that are holding me back. Is there any particular way I should go about it in terms of increasing the tempo gradually, every day?
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hehe, I'll definitely practice it all together, but it is the triplets that are holding me back. Is there any particular way I should go about it in terms of increasing the tempo gradually, every day?

I'm sooo sorry Adambut I truly s*** with practicing tips,
I've never though of that in my whole life,
I was always just practicing, no matter what or how. sad.gif

But I believe it's always wise not to push faster
until it's clean and accurate, and that varies from person to person. smile.gif
Ajmurrell
Then onwards and upwards it is by what ever method works for me smile.gif

I might try to increase it by 5bpm every day for 2 weeks, because I'll be honest. My top triplet sixteenth notes are at less than 60bpm, and that really is my limit that I haven't pushed past for a while.

So if I take it very slowly, and work from there I think it might have better results. Not sure though, will keep you updated smile.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 9 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sooo sorry Adambut I truly s*** with practicing tips,
I've never though of that in my whole life,
I was always just practicing, no matter what or how. sad.gif

But I believe it's always wise not to push faster
until it's clean and accurate, and that varies from person to person. smile.gif

Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if I take it very slowly, and work from there I think it might have better results. Not sure though, will keep you updated smile.gif

Take your time Adam, we'll also work on other things
in a meanwhile. smile.gif
Ajmurrell
Awesome! Well I've learnt the pattern for the AP lesson, and can slowly push the tempo up daily while working on other things.

Should I now move on to doing part 2 and 3 of the first weeks task? biggrin.gif Sorry I've been so slow!

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 9 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take your time Adam, we'll also work on other things
in a meanwhile. smile.gif

Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should I now move on to doing part 2 and 3 of the first weeks task? biggrin.gif Sorry I've been so slow!

I was waiting for you to say that, go for it. biggrin.gif
Ajmurrell
...Maybe I could start a trend of removing an item of clothing each take I make...? Maybe not... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 9 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was waiting for you to say that, go for it. biggrin.gif

Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Maybe I could start a trend of removing an item of clothing each take I make...? Maybe not... laugh.gif

Strip laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Muris Varajic
Adam, what's going on, do we have something from your store
or do I have to book another trip first?? wink.gif
Ajmurrell
Hey Muris, been a while... Sorry about that, you know how things have been... smile.gif

I've been pracitising frequently still and am feeling progress but to be honest still struggling to get the speed stamina lesson up to the bare minimum backing track speed!

It's those damn 16th triplets, they're simply too fast for me to accurately pick. It's not the alternate picking, and its not the fingering, its the synch. We've talked about this before I know, and the answer is simply to keep working on it.

I'm seeing slow progress, but its fairly inconsistant. I think I've always been a slow player, majoritly playing pink floyd pentatonic type things so its very alien.

So yes, that was just a status update smile.gif

Hope things are going well with you mate!
Muris Varajic
Great to hear you're back on track Adam,
progress might be slow sometimes but it's still progress,
I guess you feel most problems with AP
cause of your previous guitar influences
but everything will be sorted out! smile.gif
maharzan
Frequent updates would be great. The latter videos just looks so professional than the previous ones with fist open. Great progress as I see. smile.gif

Since MTP competition was over long time back I joined (from the great Muris), I am trying to steal the lessons and follow things. You seem to have the same problem as me when things go fast and out of synce. So, if you don't mind, I will just capture this thread. wink.gif Just kidding..
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 16 2009, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frequent updates would be great. The latter videos just looks so professional than the previous ones with fist open. Great progress as I see. smile.gif

Since MTP competition was over long time back I joined (from the great Muris), I am trying to steal the lessons and follow things. You seem to have the same problem as me when things go fast and out of synce. So, if you don't mind, I will just capture this thread. wink.gif Just kidding..

Be our guest and feel free to follow every MTP thread,
it's open for public and everyone can gain something from! smile.gif
Ajmurrell
Well Muris my friend smile.gif I think it's time for me to pass on the torch of learning within this Mentor Program.

I recognise that my attention has been side tracked during the course of this program, and unfortunately had to put a lot of time in to other things. I know you understand though smile.gif

But thank you very much for your help, it has been great fun and certainly has given me things to think about and target area's for improvement.

Thank you again, and I look forward to keeping up to date with your new successfull mentoree's!

Cheers Muris,

Adam
Muris Varajic
Appreciate the gesture Adam!

Wish you all the best in future, both in music and in general life,
it has been great to work with you
and I'll see you around the forum ofc,
keep working hard! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.