Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opeth.db Mtp
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > MTP - The Mentored Training Program > Lcsdds
Pages: 1, 2, 3
opeth.db
Hey Monte-

As you and I don't need an introduction but I will post my goals for you and answer your questions.

1. Very Limited but have started to work on this knowledge.

2. Counting is a new to me also but working on it.

3. A couple of lessons come to mind..
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...loing-advanced/
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...d-fusion-shred/

4. MY name is Dan and I live in Cleveland, Ohio. My main goal is to get my ideas floating in my head to my guitar and develop the techniques for me to get there. I am very basic lead player but an expiernced rhythm player. Hopefully by the time the MTP is in full force I will be able to accomplish what I have set out to do.

Let's get this rolling! smile.gif

jer
congrats on joining the mtp Dan!
opeth.db
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 24 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
congrats on joining the mtp Dan!

Thanks Hommie smile.gif
lcsdds
Upload all your questions and posts here please Dan smile.gif
lcsdds
Hi Dan,
First assignment can be found on the main board. The lesson with Kris is gonna be just what the doctor, or in this case dentist, ordered. laugh.gif laugh.gif I already have talked to you via PM about the other stuff you want to work on so post your weekly technique videos here if you would. Thanks. smile.gif
jer
Well? What are you waiting for?!?!?!?!

GET CRACKIN!!!!

smile.gif
lcsdds
Hi Dan,
For your video upload this week I would like you to upload a take on the tapping licks from your day 1 tab. Play them in time with a metronome as written in the tab. If you have questions on this let me know. Lick 1 is phrased in 16th notes and Lick 2 is phrased in triplets. Lets put the tempo somewhere between 40 and 60 bpm. Wherever you can play it the cleanest. I want you to really concentrate on your right and left hand muting on this. Next week I am gonna have you upload the same licks but I am gonna make you phrase them differently. Should be fun. smile.gif LIKE A RAT ON A CHEETO BUDDY!! laugh.gif laugh.gif
opeth.db
I like cheetos! I am up to 60 BPM cleanly. Im gonna work on it a bit this week and get the video up here for ya!

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 25 2009, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Dan,
For your video upload this week I would like you to upload a take on the tapping licks from your day 1 tab. Play them in time with a metronome as written in the tab. If you have questions on this let me know. Lick 1 is phrased in 16th notes and Lick 2 is phrased in triplets. Lets put the tempo somewhere between 40 and 60 bpm. Wherever you can play it the cleanest. I want you to really concentrate on your right and left hand muting on this. Next week I am gonna have you upload the same licks but I am gonna make you phrase them differently. Should be fun. smile.gif LIKE A RAT ON A CHEETO BUDDY!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

opeth.db
Can you make your thread an annoucement thread Monte? So its separated from our at the top?
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Feb 25 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like cheetos! I am up to 60 BPM cleanly. Im gonna work on it a bit this week and get the video up here for ya!

Dan if you could post the legato lick that is phrased in quintuplets that would be nice as well. That way you have triplets, 16ths and quintuplets covered. So that is 3 licks you need to post for this week. 2 tapping licks and the quintuplet legato lick. Thanks dude! smile.gif
opeth.db
Rat on a cheeto.. sheesh smile.gif
opeth.db
Im gonna smash my webcam. I hate making videos! Once I push the suck button. I suck! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Feb 26 2009, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im gonna smash my webcam. I hate making videos! Once I push the suck button. I suck! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

I feel you pain dude. Happens to me all the time. It is just me in my room and I get nervous like I'm on stage at Madison Square Garden. laugh.gif laugh.gif
lcsdds
Alright Dan, you and I talked tonight and we have decided to change a couple of things for your post for this week. For your post this week in addition to the group assignment here is what I want you to see.

The A Ionian box ascending and descending played in the following different phrasings:

-quintuplets at 50 bpm

-16ths at 50 bpm

-8th note triplets at 60 bpm

Look forward to your post.
opeth.db
Will do..
opeth.db
I think I still need a bit of work with these Monte. Im posting my video tonight becasue I got family stuff going on this weekend and not sure I will be home on Saturday.

I still need some work with these but its becoming a tad easier everytime I pick up the axe.

lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Feb 27 2009, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I still need a bit of work with these Monte. Im posting my video tonight becasue I got family stuff going on this weekend and not sure I will be home on Saturday.

I still need some work with these but its becoming a tad easier everytime I pick up the axe.

Good work Dan!! The only thing I would suggest is that you are rushing just a little bit on the descending scale when playing the quintuplets. I think what is going on is that it is easier for you to descend the scale then to ascend so you are just rushing a little bit. I know this sounds weird but I still want you to so the 40-50-60-70-40 bpm workup that we talked about the other night. Playing really slow like this forces you to dial in on the metronome because the tempo is so slow. Keep working on the counting and I don't want you to bump the metronome past 70bpm until I see your video next week. I want you to really get comfortable with these tempos before we start working it up. I want you to focus on this same excercise for next weeks video as well. If possible Dan, I would really like to see you pick one of those tapping licks and phrase it using triplets, 16ths, quintuplets and 16th triplets if possible and post in your video too. This will be really good for you getting used to instantaneously switching between the different note values. smile.gif

Good job Dan. smile.gif You really need to focus on all the things you know and can do right now that you couldn't just 2 weeks ago. You didn't even know what a quintuplet was or the Ionian box and now you are breezing through them. smile.gif Remember, ACCURACY first and speed will come as a by product!! Good work man and have fun with the family this weekend. smile.gif

BTW, your right and left hand muting sounded good as well. smile.gif Dan could you play that same lick using legato instead of AP? If not spend half your time working on playing it legato!! Take if from me, don't neglect legato because you can AP better. smile.gif
opeth.db
Not weird at all Monte and thanks! I will continue on this plan untill you see my next video.

I will work on psting the tapping licks too in my next video! smile.gif

Thanks BUddY!
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Feb 27 2009, 04:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not weird at all Monte and thanks! I will continue on this plan untill you see my next video.

I will work on psting the tapping licks too in my next video! smile.gif

Thanks BUddY!

I know I don't need to tell you this Dan, but make sure that every time you practice that you go through ALL the licks in the Day 1 technique tab, except the hybrid licks. smile.gif I want you nice and comfortable with those licks so that after next week when you are really comfortable with the different note groupings that we can start going to town on those licks with the Kaz-Box and get them up to facemelting speed. laugh.gif laugh.gif
opeth.db
rgr that! smile.gif

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 26 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I don't need to tell you this Dan, but make sure that every time you practice that you go through ALL the licks in the Day 1 technique tab, except the hybrid licks. smile.gif I want you nice and comfortable with those licks so that after next week when you are really comfortable with the different note groupings that we can start going to town on those licks with the Kaz-Box and get them up to facemelting speed. laugh.gif laugh.gif

jer
If he skips one again can we get the milk bone and the hungry dog?
lcsdds
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 27 2009, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he skips one again can we get the milk bone and the hungry dog?

You live closer to him than me Jer so I'll give the go ahead to do that if he skips again!! laugh.gif If you can't find the milk bone and hungry dog just tear into him like a hobo into a bologna sandwich!! laugh.gif

Dan the Man!! I need your help dude. I am getting ready to give an assignment for everybody for next week and I need you to tell me what triads can be found in the diatonic scale of A major. Thanks dude!! smile.gif
opeth.db
Ok from what I read.. Hopefully this is right. I had to write it out.

A Major = A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G#
Triad =
A - C# - E
B - D - F#
C# - E - G#
D - F# - A
E - G# - B
F# - A - C#
G# - B - D

?
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Feb 27 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok from what I read.. Hopefully this is right. I had to write it out.

A Major = A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G#
Triad =
A - C# - E
B - D - F#
C# - E - G#
D - F# - A
E - G# - B
F# - A - C#
G# - B - D

?

Good Dan. Now just tell me which ones are major and minor and which ONE is diminished. Thanks.
opeth.db
Ok. I beleive it goes...

Amaj - Bmin - C#min - Dmaj - Emaj - F#min - G# dim

?
jer
\m/ \m/

wink.gif
lcsdds
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 27 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
\m/ \m/

wink.gif

What he said!! wink.gif
lcsdds
What's up dude!! I hope you have read my post in the main thread on "Modes and Modal Chord Progressions". Guess what? You are in charge of the collab for April. smile.gif We are gonna stick with the Lydian mode and you can use any key except for D!! biggrin.gif If you need any help or have any questions let me know. Everything you need to know should be laid out for ya in my post. You don't have to come up with a backing track until the first of April so you got plenty of time to work on it. I would like it to be 16 bars long so we all have plenty of time to solo over it. Everything else...tempo, style etc., is up to you dude!! You have about 4 weeks so get cracking.

Bet you are gonna be glad you know how to find your triads now. laugh.gif laugh.gif
lcsdds
Dan,
I am wanting to solo over a B mixolydian chord progression. From reading the posts I did in the main thread can you answer the following questions please?

1) Is this a Major or Minor mode?

2) What is it's scale of comparison to figure out my chord options?

3) What are my diatonic scale options for soloing over this?

4) What are my pentatonic scale options for soloing over this?

Use the chart I gave you to figure these out. Thanks Dan. smile.gif
opeth.db
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 28 2009, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dan,
I am wanting to solo over a B mixolydian chord progression. From reading the posts I did in the main thread can you answer the following questions please?

Use the chart I gave you to figure these out. Thanks Dan. smile.gif

Ok. This stuff is mentally draining on me sometimes so I think I figured this out.
I really appreciate these kinds of things Monte. Especially not knowing anything about theory or at least applying the theory.

Im working on figuring this out..GIve me a few

Also..I noticed a few things on your chart. Its missing B Ionian and if F Ionian you have a E# under Locrian Mode.
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Feb 28 2009, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok. This stuff is mentally draining on me sometimes so I think I figured this out.
I really appreciate these kinds of things Monte. Especially not knowing anything about theory or at least applying the theory.

Im working on figuring this out..GIve me a few

Also..I noticed a few things on your chart. Its missing B Ionian and if F Ionian you have a E# under Locrian Mode.

Good catch Dan. You are wrong on the F Ionian Check again it says E for Locrian mode. F# Ionian has E# under locrian mode.

I'll add in B major and repost. Thanks. wink.gif
opeth.db
Major

B C# D# E F# G# A#

E Ionain/Major = B Mixolydian

E Major Pentatonic / C# Minor Pentatonic

Hopefully I figured this out right..

?

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 28 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good catch Dan. You are wrong on the F Ionian Check again it says E for Locrian mode. F# Ionian has E# under locrian mode.

I'll add in B major and repost. Thanks. wink.gif

I actually meant F#... Thanks! smile.gif
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Feb 28 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Major

B C# D# E F# G# A#

E Ionain/Major = B Mixolydian

E Major Pentatonic / C# Minor Pentatonic

Hopefully I figured this out right..

?

I actually meant F#... Thanks! smile.gif

Good Job Dan!!! smile.gif You are technically correct on #4 but I really want you to think B major pentatonic because we are thinking in terms of B mixolydian. All of the notes that are found in Both E major and B major pentatonic can also be found in E Ionian/Major=B mixolydian. I haven't really expaned on the pentatonics yet, but I will. Your thinking was spot on though!!! Good Job!! smile.gif
opeth.db
Thanks Monte. smile.gif
lcsdds
Hey Dan,
So I was jamming last night and decided I was gonna write a song in the Key of "E Dorian".
Here is my Chord Progression so far:
Em....

Now I REALLY want to make sure that when I am playing this song live in front of thousands of screaming fans, that the dudes in the mosh pit don't get confused and think that they are body slamming to a song in the Key of "E Aeolian". laugh.gif

Soooooo....Could you please give me a couple of options for some chords that I could use in my chord progression to make sure that the moshers KNOW FOR SURE that they are body slammin to a song in the key of "E Dorian". laugh.gif

Also, since we all know I flunked out of Med School ohmy.gif ohmy.gif and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, could you briefly explain to me WHY the chords you are reccomending that I try and squeeze into my Sonic Awesomeness are gonna sound more Dorian than Aeolian. wink.gif

Thanks for the help bud!! I'll make sure you get credit on the CD cover!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif
opeth.db
Ok. Pardon my stupidness. I hated these questions in school. Wait, I hated school... laugh.gif

I think your asking me for some chord progressions.

We have E Dorian which is Minor.
My scale is:
E F# G A B C D
My Mode:
E F# G A B C# D

WE are going to use the mode progression because the C# will make it sound Dorian rather that Aeolian.

Some of our triads are..
E G B
F# A C#
G B D
A C# E
B D F#
C# E G
D F# A

?

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 1 2009, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Dan,
So I was jamming last night and decided I was gonna write a song in the Key of "E Dorian".
Here is my Chord Progression so far:
Em....

Now I REALLY want to make sure that when I am playing this song live in front of thousands of screaming fans, that the dudes in the mosh pit don't get confused and think that they are body slamming to a song in the Key of "E Aeolian". laugh.gif

Soooooo....Could you please give me a couple of options for some chords that I could use in my chord progression to make sure that the moshers KNOW FOR SURE that they are body slammin to a song in the key of "E Dorian". laugh.gif

Also, since we all know I flunked out of Med School ohmy.gif ohmy.gif and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, could you briefly explain to me WHY the chords you are reccomending that I try and squeeze into my Sonic Awesomeness are gonna sound more Dorian than Aeolian. wink.gif

Thanks for the help bud!! I'll make sure you get credit on the CD cover!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

lcsdds
I think your asking me for some chord progressions.

Indeed I am...Can't rock live on stage without a cool chord progression!! laugh.gif

We have E Dorian which is Minor.
My scale is:
E F# G A B C D
My Mode:
E F# G A B C# D

Good here, except think of them both as modes or scales. We are however comparing the E Dorian mode/scale to the
E Aeolian mode/scale!! Good job. Think of it as we are using the D major scale in an E Dorian mode of operation!!

WE are going to use the mode progression because the C# will make it sound Dorian rather that Aeolian.

Good here, we are going to focus on the C#. A chord progression is just a series of chords that progress from one to another. Like in our lydian collab we start at D, progress to E and the progress back to D. Get it? We haven't come up with a progression yet, that is what we are trying to figure out. wink.gif

Some of our triads are..
E G B
F# A C#
G B D
A C# E
B D F#
C# E G
D F# A

Remember...Flunked out of Med School....I have no idea what those letters mean. I am looking for major, minor or diminished triads to use in my SONIC AWESOMENESS!!

Those look like 3 nps scales that Satch would play. Get back to me with some triads I can use. Also I need to know WHICH TRIADS I SHOULD FOCUS ON!! Sorry dude, maybe your next mentor won't be a Med School flunkee and you won't have to spell everything out for him, but until then you are stuck with me. wink.gif laugh.gif
opeth.db
Ok.. Hmm..

Emaj
F#min
Gmin
Amaj
Bmin
C#dim

Like this? Im starting to get a bit confused. If this is wrong then I got some questions.
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 1 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok.. Hmm..

Emaj
F#min
Gmin
Amaj
Bmin
C#dim

Like this? Im starting to get a bit confused. If this is wrong then I got some questions.

Use your chart Dan. Go to the dorian column and Find E. Any note that is in the I,IV OR V position is the root of a Major triad. Any note in the ii, iii or vi position is the root of a Minor triad. The note in the vii dim is the root of a diminished triad.

USE THE CHART.

Remember E dorian is a Minor mode so an E major Triad would be wrong, right?
opeth.db
E Major Triad would be wrong.

F#min Gmin C#dim

?

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 1 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Use your chart Dan. Go to the dorian column and Find E. Any note that is in the I,IV OR V position is the root of a Major triad. Any note in the ii, iii or vi position is the root of a Minor triad. The note in the vii dim is the root of a diminished triad.

USE THE CHART.

Remember E dorian is a Minor mode so an E major Triad would be wrong, right?

lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 1 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
E Major Triad would be wrong.

F#min Gmin C#dim

?

Using the chart it would look like this.

ii=Emin
iii=F#min
IV=Gmaj
V=Amaj
vi=Bmin
vii dim=C#dim
I=Dmaj

Remember E Dorian is Built off of the ii of D Ionian. Since it is a minor mode though, we compare it to
E aeolian=G ionian/major to find the strong notes. Does this help?
opeth.db
Ok. I think I see what I was doing wrong.

I was starting with E Dorian and counting that as number I rather than it being ii. I thought the number mode shifted since we are starting on a different root note.

Apparently the numbers dont change. I think I need to do another example.

lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 1 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok. I think I see what I was doing wrong.

I was starting with E Dorian and counting that as number I rather than it being ii. I thought the number mode shifted since we are starting on a different root note.

Apparently the numbers dont change. I think I need to do another example.

Actually there are two ways of thinking about it Dan. The way you were doing it is called Paralell thinking. We will get there but for now do it in Relative thinking.

USE THE CHART. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Do the same scenario now except now the tune is in F phrygian and I want the moshers not to get confused and think it is F aeolian. wink.gif
jer

Apparently the numbers dont change.

You and me both man!!!

opeth.db
F Phrygian would be minor

The different note is the Gb

And our chords would be
iii-Fmin
IV-Gbmaj
V-Abmaj
vi-Bbmin
vii-Cdim
I-Dbmaj
ii-Ebmin

?
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 1 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And our chords would be
iii-Fmin
IV-Gbmaj
V-Abmaj
vi-Bbmin
vii-Cdim
I-Dbmaj
ii-Ebmin

?

\m/\m/ Yeah Baby!!. Now, just highlight the chords for me that contain Gb so I know to try and sneak those in my progression and you are good to go!! Good job Dan. biggrin.gif wink.gif
Outlaw2112
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 1 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And our chords would be
iii-Fmin
IV-Gbmaj
V-Abmaj
vi-Bbmin
vii-Cdim
I-Dbmaj
ii-Ebmin

?

all that writing to me looks like something out of the movie stargate.
opeth.db
Well if its minor wouldn't it be the ii, iii, vi?

So...

Ebmin - Fmin - Bbmin

?
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 1 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if its minor wouldn't it be the ii, iii, vi?

So...

Ebmin - Fmin - Bbmin

?

You gotta spell out the individual triads like you did earlier to see where the Gb appears as the root, 3rd and 5th. In this case it would be

Gbmaj=Gb-Bb-Db Gb as the root

Ebmin=Eb-Gb-Bb Gb as the 3rd

Cdim=C-Eb-Gb Gb as the 5th

Get it!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 1 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all that writing to me looks like something out of the movie stargate.

Stargate rules!!! The tv show was the BEST!!

Dan check out this thread:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry347187
opeth.db
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 1 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You gotta spell out the individual triads like you did earlier to see where the Gb appears as the root, 3rd and 5th. In this case it would be

Gbmaj=Gb-Bb-Db Gb as the root

Ebmin=Eb-Gb-Bb Gb as the 3rd

Cdim=C-Eb-Gb Gb as the 5th

Get it!! biggrin.gif

Got it. I forgot about that part. I will try it again with something else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.