Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glengraf88
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > MTP - The Mentored Training Program > Uncleskillet
Pages: 1, 2
glengraf88
my name is glen. I am in the military. I just started learning guitar I have wanted to learn to play guitar since i was nine but never had the money. I decided about two weeks ago to give it a shot and went out and bought a guitar and amp, I just recently picked up a line 6 xlt live pedal tone board. I listen to a lot of metal, Lamb of God, Slayer, Opeth, Amonamarth, unearth, metallica, cannible corpse, arch enemy,.. i could go on and on but i think yoy ucan get a genaral feel from this list of what I listen too. In the end run i would love to learn to play metal but i understand that i just cant dive right in ( or can I ) lol. I can dedicate 2 hrs a day maybe more to this. I have a webcam. I do not have a practise routine due to the fact that I do not know where to start. I have not completed many lessons I have 1 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9j7DcfZvE (sry it was out of tune. I have a tuner now lol. If there is any other info that you need plz let me know.
UncleSkillet
Thanks for checking in Glen and also for your services in the Military. I hope I can help you with your learning journey and help with adding some fun time in between your duties. Please call me Jeff, as UncleSkillet is kind of lame. laugh.gif biggrin.gif

You are new to this and have some time to practice, which is really a good thing. I picked these 3 lessons for you for many reasons and would like you to start ASAP!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/memberson...ower-chords.htm
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...er-deep-purple/
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-and-arpeggios/

What do you think? smile.gif
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 25 2009, 10:04 PM) *
Thanks for checking in Glen and also for your services in the Military. I hope I can help you with your learning journey and help with adding some fun time in between your duties. Please call me Jeff, as UncleSkillet is kind of lame. laugh.gif biggrin.gif

You are new to this and have some time to practice, which is really a good thing. I picked these 3 lessons for you for many reasons and would like you to start ASAP!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/memberson...ower-chords.htm
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...er-deep-purple/
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-and-arpeggios/

What do you think? smile.gif

I will start right away on these what is the best way to tackle these. i tend to jump around a lot. I dont think that helps me. do i have a dead line. should i practise the same time evryday would that help. lol sry bout the bombardment of ?s.
i looked at all of them i really like the last one.
UncleSkillet
Telling you when to practice I can't do. You know when you have free time. You said you have maybe 2hrs a day to practice right? Lets try breaking it down like this and see how it works.

15 - 20 minutes on lesson 1. I choose Kris's lesson because it is similar to what you where wanting to play in your video. I want you to listen to what he is telling you about technique and muting with the palm of your right hand. Then apply this when you play your power chords.

30 minutes on lesson 2. Smoke on the water is a classic, which all beginners should learn to play. Plus you will learn a new way of playing chords.

30 - 45 minutes on lesson 3. Muris's lesson will help you get control of your left hand fingering and teach you how to start picking. Play attention to how you hold the pick and your posture while playing. Don't try and practice sitting the same way you did in your video. This will make thing more difficult and create bad habits as far as technique goes.

I would like a minimum of 1 upload a week. More is better especially if your having problem. I'm here to help so don't be afraid to use me. You can't ask to many questions.

Does this plain sound like it will work with your day? smile.gif
glengraf88
Ok sounds good i think this will work. So you are sugessting that i stand while i practise. I will give it a go but for some reason i find it uncomfotable doing that but it makes since and i am sure it will get better as time goes. the 1 upload a week should not be a problem i will probally do an upload for each lesson.
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 26 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Telling you when to practice I can't do. You know when you have free time. You said you have maybe 2hrs a day to practice right? Lets try breaking it down like this and see how it works.

15 - 20 minutes on lesson 1. I choose Kris's lesson because it is similar to what you where wanting to play in your video. I want you to listen to what he is telling you about technique and muting with the palm of your right hand. Then apply this when you play your power chords.

30 minutes on lesson 2. Smoke on the water is a classic, which all beginners should learn to play. Plus you will learn a new way of playing chords.

30 - 45 minutes on lesson 3. Muris's lesson will help you get control of your left hand fingering and teach you how to start picking. Play attention to how you hold the pick and your posture while playing. Don't try and practice sitting the same way you did in your video. This will make thing more difficult and create bad habits as far as technique goes.

I would like a minimum of 1 upload a week. More is better especially if your having problem. I'm here to help so don't be afraid to use me. You can't ask to many questions.

Does this plain sound like it will work with your day? smile.gif

I know this is probally a preference thing but what is a good size pick to use right now i have a .88 in my hand would it be better to use a thinner or thicker one. i
UncleSkillet
QUOTE (glengraf88 @ Feb 26 2009, 07:48 PM) *
Ok sounds good i think this will work. So you are sugessting that i stand while i practise. I will give it a go but for some reason i find it uncomfotable doing that but it makes since and i am sure it will get better as time goes. the 1 upload a week should not be a problem i will probally do an upload for each lesson.

You don't have to stand and play. When I watched your video you looked kind of hunched over which can cause bad playing habits. By all means sit when you practice. Just look at Muris an how he is sitting in his lesson. That's what I'm talking about bro. smile.gif

I know this is probally a preference thing but what is a good size pick to use right now i have a .88 in my hand would it be better to use a thinner or thicker one. i

It is a preference thing and if a .88 is comfortable then use it. We can experiment with this later. When you start to play solo's we can try a few different ones and talk more about it.

Looking forward to your uploads (yes one upload for each lesson is what I meant) and if you have any questions at all please ask. The only stupid question is the one that was never asked. wink.gif
glengraf88
http://www.youtube.com/user/gsquared88 Check the main video i just made it. I thought it would be a good idea to show you where I am so u can let me know what i need to improve and how. I also wanted to know if you know what caused the weired change in volume and tone torwards the end.
UncleSkillet
QUOTE (glengraf88 @ Feb 26 2009, 08:33 PM) *
http://www.youtube.com/user/gsquared88 Check the main video i just made it. I thought it would be a good idea to show you where I am so u can let me know what i need to improve and how. I also wanted to know if you know what caused the weired change in volume and tone torwards the end.

I’m not sure why your sound volume changed. That was weird. Maybe check your connections and chords to make sure they’re cool and give it a reboot. Also maybe look at the audio recording settings and video quality. You want a balance between the two so one doesn’t take more priority over the other. When you are recording make sure there are no other programs at all running in the background also.

I can see you are already applying some of the things Kris talks about in his lesson. Well done bro! biggrin.gif Just pay more attention to your right hand. wink.gif Relax it more like when you do the mute strumming part and pull it back more towards the bridge of the guitar. I hope that makes since. Also make sure your guitar is in tune. What are you using to tune your guitar?

Can’t wait to see more takes. smile.gif
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 26 2009, 08:38 PM) *
I’m not sure why your sound volume changed. That was weird. Maybe check your connections and chords to make sure they’re cool and give it a reboot. Also maybe look at the audio recording settings and video quality. You want a balance between the two so one doesn’t take more priority over the other. When you are recording make sure there are no other programs at all running in the background also.

I can see you are already applying some of the things Kris talks about in his lesson. Well done bro! biggrin.gif Just pay more attention to your right hand. wink.gif Relax it more like when you do the mute strumming part and pull it back more towards the bridge of the guitar. I hope that makes since. Also make sure your guitar is in tune. What are you using to tune your guitar?

Can’t wait to see more takes. smile.gif

My guitar is tuned to standard E. maybe it is the tone i was useing from the xtlive. Thanks for the advice will work on it. didnt even thinkg aboout closeing the programs. well thanks and ill keep at it.
UncleSkillet
I like your determination man, keep rockin it out!

We will get you there sooner then you think. smile.gif Keep the takes comming.
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 26 2009, 09:01 PM) *
I like your determination man, keep rockin it out!

We will get you there sooner then you think. smile.gif Keep the takes comming.

here is my first take on the smoke on the water lesson. what do you think what should i work on.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYJ3-lJanI4

any chance you can post a video of your faviorte thing to play or what you would consider to be the most proud of.
One more ? what made you decide to learn guitar, and who was your guitar idol. I just wanna know more about you thanks jeff.
UncleSkillet
laugh.gif Your a machine with your practicing tonight. I like that! biggrin.gif

You’re playing the correct notes but your only using your index finger only and sliding that around. Go back and look at Andrews lesson and look at his fingering with the left hand. That is what you want to emulate. You have 4 fingers bro so don't limit yours to just one.

Thanks man, now back to work smile.gif
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 26 2009, 09:27 PM) *
laugh.gif Your a machine with your practicing tonight. I like that! biggrin.gif

You’re playing the correct notes but your only using your index finger only and sliding that around. Go back and look at Andrews lesson and look at his fingering with the left hand. That is what you want to emulate. You have 4 fingers bro so don't limit yours to just one.

Thanks man, now back to work smile.gif

wow didnt even think of that thank you. i will get back at it. i bet it will sound better because i am not always slideing that one finger around lol.
UncleSkillet
biggrin.gif tongue.gif

I sent you a PM so check that as well. Pay attention to the part about backing tracks and metronome. Let me know if you need help with that.
glengraf88
Hey can you please look over the smoke on the water video i just realized that i am missing a couple of notes i watched though the video and could figure out how to play them.
UncleSkillet
Hey Glen, I am work and can't really pull up the lesson right now. I did notice that you left out several things with your last upload of this. One thing being the slide chord from the 6 fret up to the 5th in the intro section. Also the whole rhythem section where the vocal come in.

Your question isn't very clear to me. Go back through each video again and if you are still have a question maybe you can post the section of the lesson giving you problems (for example: video section 3).

Let me know man and I will help you when I get home.
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 2 2009, 08:27 AM) *
Hey Glen, I am work and can't really pull up the lesson right now. I did notice that you left out several things with your last upload of this. One thing being the slide chord from the 6 fret up to the 5th in the intro section. Also the whole rhythem section where the vocal come in.

Your question isn't very clear to me. Go back through each video again and if you are still have a question maybe you can post the section of the lesson giving you problems (for example: video section 3).

Let me know man and I will help you when I get home.

Ok I am at work to but when I get off I will go though the lesson and see if I can go though the lesson and pick up what I miss. The other ? I had was is there anyway to get a tab for this lesson I think that would help me greatly. I clicked on tab next to the lesson and it said it was not available. I have looked on line for one and I found some but they are not the same most of them show me how to play it on one string, and that is not what I want to learn. Because this lesson is helping me learn to switch strings when playing chords.
UncleSkillet
Hey Glen, did you get things worked out? Let me know if you still have a question or need some help. smile.gif
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 2 2009, 06:34 PM) *
Hey Glen, did you get things worked out? Let me know if you still have a question or need some help. smile.gif

i believe i figured it out. expect an upload in the next 2 or 3 days. I am haveing a problem with that slideing part it is inconsistant (sounds diffrent evrytime i do it. I will work on it though.
UncleSkillet
Sounds good man! If that part is giving you problem play it slow and look at your fingers to see if you can spot what's going on. Do the same with your picking hand also.

Feel free to upload I quick video of you just playing that part a few times. I could help you figure it out if your stuck.
glengraf88
I will give it a shot

UncleSkillet
smile.gif
glengraf88
I changed my mind i should have an upload up tonight with a backing track like you asked.
glengraf88
QUOTE (glengraf88 @ Mar 2 2009, 08:39 PM) *
I changed my mind i should have an upload up tonight with a backing track like you asked.

Here it is once again the sound is acting up i need to find a better way to record. I have a podxtlive i think you can record from that but i do not know how. well any way let me know what you think. I am still working on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAc6gLnnEqY
UncleSkillet
biggrin.gif Yeah Glen! smile.gif This is much better then your first take. Since you are posting everything in the uploads forum that doesn't leave too much room for me to comment. I know you want to share your playing with everyone but I think it would be best if you consider keeping our lessons in just this thread. It makes it harder for me to give you personnel advise and help your development when you are getting all these different opinions on what is good and how you should maybe try and play it this way etc.

Mostly I agree with Andrews comments and why shouldn't I. biggrin.gif He made the lesson. wink.gif That said what I would suggest is to play with a slower backing till things become more comfortable. Also go back and listen to your video again. You are playing one wrong chord through out the progress and as your next assignment I want you to find it and tell me (or show me) which one it was.

I can see that you are going to develop your skills quick. Now find the bad chord for me. smile.gif
glengraf88
I have been working on the strumming and arpeggios lesson and i am stuck and getting frustrated. I can not play an F CHORD to save my life. please help.
UncleSkillet
Uploading a video response to you question bro! Hang tight. smile.gif

EDIT: Video response added. Hope it help bro!
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 4 2009, 10:44 PM) *
Uploading a video response to you question bro! Hang tight. smile.gif

thanks.
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 3 2009, 05:47 PM) *
biggrin.gif Yeah Glen! smile.gif This is much better then your first take. Since you are posting everything in the uploads forum that doesn't leave too much room for me to comment. I know you want to share your playing with everyone but I think it would be best if you consider keeping our lessons in just this thread. It makes it harder for me to give you personnel advise and help your development when you are getting all these different opinions on what is good and how you should maybe try and play it this way etc.

Mostly I agree with Andrews comments and why shouldn't I. biggrin.gif He made the lesson. wink.gif That said what I would suggest is to play with a slower backing till things become more comfortable. Also go back and listen to your video again. You are playing one wrong chord through out the progress and as your next assignment I want you to find it and tell me (or show me) which one it was.

I can see that you are going to develop your skills quick. Now find the bad chord for me. smile.gif

I think i finally figured it out. I will have to post a new vid i guess i hope i am right lol. well it is late and i need sleep. An update on my back, I am going to physical theropy they said i should be able to play as long as i stretch and take breaks frequently. Oh and another thing thanks for the vid i am working on learning the f chord it will take some time which mean that the strumming and arpeggioo vid will take some time. I can get evrything before that perfectly fine i believe.
glengraf88
i belive i found the wrong note in the progression. I hope i am right Here is the vid of me playing it with the right note. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40j81qFfjEs I chose not to use a metronome or backing ttrack so you can hear it clearer to see if i got the note fixed. Please let me know if i corrected it. I belive i did.
UncleSkillet
QUOTE (glengraf88 @ Mar 8 2009, 07:51 PM) *
i belive i found the wrong note in the progression. I hope i am right Here is the vid of me playing it with the right note. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40j81qFfjEs I chose not to use a metronome or backing ttrack so you can hear it clearer to see if i got the note fixed. Please let me know if i corrected it. I belive i did.

That is correct Glen!! You got it! cool.gif

Well Done smile.gif
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 8 2009, 08:31 PM) *
That is correct Glen!! You got it! cool.gif

Well Done smile.gif

Hell Yea. What now?
UncleSkillet
Play the chords lesson bro! biggrin.gif You don't have to play it at full spead.
We have to get your fingers use to moving so your muscle memory starts developing.
I will find you some other cool stuff to work on so don't worry. wink.gif

I would like to see a take with you playing the chords first. Record with one of the slow backing tracks or a metronome mp3 in the back ground from here.

http://www.reztronics.com/prod01.htm

Looking forward to your upload smile.gif
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 8 2009, 10:06 PM) *
Play the chords lesson bro! biggrin.gif You don't have to play it at full spead.
We have to get your fingers use to moving so your muscle memory starts developing.
I will find you some other cool stuff to work on so don't worry. wink.gif

I would like to see a take with you playing the chords first. Record with one of the slow backing tracks or a metronome mp3 in the back ground from here.

Looking forward to your upload smile.gif

Sounds good i like the chord lesson and it is coming along good except for the part with the f chord. It is like i do fine and then the part comes to the f chord and i cant bar the first fret. so it like i hit a brick wall. I have been working on baring the first fret not to much progress with it yet. And i really wanna finish this lesson i love the way it sounds. Tomorrow i am going to upload the first part of it All the way up to the f chord. So you can see how i am doing with the chords in general. I will not give up on the f chord like i said i am dedicated 100 percent on learning guitar. I just want to say thanks for all the time and effort you have been putting into teaching me guitar and i really do appreciate it.
UncleSkillet
Sounds good Glen.

I am always happy to help. smile.gif
glengraf88
Hey jeff I got that new vid i promised you. it is only the first half though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQJ0vrzgk4M. What do you think?
UncleSkillet
Glen this is great progress man!! Congratulations bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif wink.gif

Your over the F chord hump biggrin.gif That looked really good. I can tell you worked hard and you should feel great with your progress.

Keep working on this lesson for me because we need to get smoother OK. This will just take a few more takes maybe, but with the next ones I want you to work on uploading with a backing track or a metronome track from here.

I need to find our next lesson to work on. We'll chat soon man!

PS: You right hand looks like it has heeled nicely. Promise me you will try not to get hurt for a while. We have a lot of work to get done if you want to be a rock God and I don't need you hurt every week! smile.gif
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 10 2009, 09:20 PM) *
Glen this is great progress man!! Congratulations bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif wink.gif

Your over the F chord hump biggrin.gif That looked really good. I can tell you worked hard and you should feel great with your progress.

Keep working on this lesson for me because we need to get smoother OK. This will just take a few more takes maybe, but with the next ones I want you to work on uploading with a backing track or a metronome track from here.

I need to find our next lesson to work on. We'll chat soon man!

PS: You right hand looks like it has heeled nicely. Promise me you will try not to get hurt for a while. We have a lot of work to get done if you want to be a rock God and I don't need you hurt every week! smile.gif

I will keep at it. i will also give the metronome a shot as well.

When i try to play it to a backing track or metronome it makes me confused i dont know when to start or how to tell if i am on time or anything.
UncleSkillet
That's why we need to work on this. Kris has a metronome lesson but I don't have the link handy. See if you can find it with the search feature for Lessons (beginner). I will look also and post tomorrow. Let me know if you find it first. Backing tracks are also good but you need to listen to the tracks without playing the guitar. Just play the solo in your mind when your listening to it. Sounds stupid but it will help.

This is very important for developing the rhythem side of you playing and getting things really tight and synced up.
lcsdds
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 11 2009, 04:03 AM) *
That's why we need to work on this. Kris has a metronome lesson but I don't have the link handy. See if you can find it with the search feature for Lessons (beginner). I will look also and post tomorrow. Let me know if you find it first. Backing tracks are also good but you need to listen to the tracks without playing the guitar. Just play the solo in your mind when your listening to it. Sounds stupid but it will help.

This is very important for developing the rhythem side of you playing and getting things really tight and synced up.

here ya go guys.....enjoy!! smile.gif

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/memberson...a-metronome.htm
UncleSkillet
Hey thanks Monte. smile.gif

You da man!!!!!
glengraf88
I went though the lesson i understand it. But how would that work with arpeggios.
UncleSkillet
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean when your playing a scale or arpeggio how to play it in 1/4 notes, 1/8 note, 16th notes, etc.? For example how many notes are played for each beat?

Would you like some exercises like this?
glengraf88
[quote name='UncleSkillet' date='Mar 12 2009, 01:27 PM' post='353091']
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean when your playing a scale or arpeggio how to play it in 1/4 notes, 1/8 note, 16th notes, etc.? For example how many notes are played for each beat?

Would you like some exercises like this?
[/quote/}]
I am trying to do the lesson you assigned me but i am not sure how to play it to a metronome. I dont even know how to play a scale
UncleSkillet
Well for that lesson you could just use one of the backing tracks. However if you want to use the metronome than set it to maybe 30bpm - 40bpm to start with. Strum a chord. Then for each click you hear your going to play 2 notes (these are called 8th notes). So one on the click, one in the middle and then one on the next click.

If I didn't explain things good and your still not sure just let me know. smile.gif
UncleSkillet
Did this make sense Glen or do you still need some direction (help)?

I will find the time to do a video explanation if you feel you need one smile.gif

Of course then you would have to look at my ugly mug again biggrin.gif laugh.gif
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 13 2009, 08:57 PM) *
Did this make sense Glen or do you still need some direction (help)?

I will find the time to do a video explanation if you feel you need one smile.gif

Of course then you would have to look at my ugly mug again biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Hey i havent been home all weekend sry for not responding. I think i understand it i am gonna give it a shot i am sure i will pick it up
UncleSkillet
Hey Glen, how are things going? I hope everything is ok. smile.gif
glengraf88
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 25 2009, 06:14 PM) *
Hey Glen, how are things going? I hope everything is ok. smile.gif

I have been very busy with work and i am now also playing roller derby. I am in the process of remaking a schedule.
UncleSkillet
QUOTE (glengraf88 @ Mar 25 2009, 10:28 PM) *
I have been very busy with work and i am now also playing roller derby. I am in the process of remaking a schedule.

Glad everything is ok. You seem like a real adrenalin junky. tongue.gif Oh to be young again. mad.gif Just don't get hurt bro.

What do you mean when you say you’re in the process of making a schedule? For the Roller Derby or your Guitar Practicing.

You seem to have great potential with your playing. Don't you quit on yourself and the guitar!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.