Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lcsdds Mtp Phrygian Serial
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > MTP - The Mentored Training Program > Lcsdds
lcsdds
Alright, so Myself, Kazmandu and Outlaw are gonna be working on Muris's Phrygian serial. Lets post any questions and our takes in this thread so we can all follow along.

I'll upload the tab I want us all to work off of here so we are all on the same page.

Thanks to Muris for the AWESOME SERIAL!!

Let's Rock this serial guys!!! smile.gif

Stay tuned......
Outlaw2112
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 3 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, so Myself, Kazmandu and Outlaw are gonna be working on Muris's Phrygian serial. Lets post any questions and our takes in this thread so we can all follow along.

I'll upload the tab I want us all to work off of here so we are all on the same page.

Thanks to Muris for the AWESOME SERIAL!!

Let's Rock this serial guys!!! smile.gif

Stay tuned......

ok cool... do you want our takes video taped or just a mp3 of it?
lcsdds
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 3 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok cool... do you want our takes video taped or just a mp3 of it?

I'd like videos if possible so I can see your technique any correct and problems I see. Once you can post a take a full tempo with reasonable timing and clean playing you can move on to the next level.
Outlaw2112
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 3 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like videos if possible so I can see your technique and correct and problems I see. Once you can post a take a full tempo with reasonable timing and clean playing you can move on to the next level.

ok done... sounds like a challenge, i like it
lcsdds
Here is the tab I want you to work off of. You'll notice I've broken it up into 4 licks and I've specified which bars comprise the licks.

Go ahead and download the tab and check it out, and I'll give more instructions later on today. smile.gif
lcsdds
Alright guys first thing we need to do is to make sure that Muris didn't take too many nunchuk blows to the head in his Ninja days and write a solo in "C Aeolian" when he meant to write it in "C Phrygian". laugh.gif laugh.gif

Outlaw.... I want you to figure out the notes and triads that are found in BOTH "C Aeolian and C Phrygian". If you need help with this get Jer to give you a hand. Thanks. smile.gif smile.gif

Kazmanian Devil...Your job is too make sure that chord progression that Muris has us soloing over is indeed a "C Phrygian" chord progression. Make sure you let Outlaw and myself know why you came to that conclusion....You know the drill so get crackin!!!

I've uploaded a revised Chart for you to download and use for analyzing the Diatonic scales. smile.gif smile.gif

Once we've got this step done we will proceed.... smile.gif smile.gif
kaznie_NL
C Phrygian has the triads Cmin, Dbmaj, EbMaj, Fmin, Gdim, AbMaj, Bbmin.
These are the chords because they are minor (roman small number) or major (roman capital number) or dimnished (Locrian mode).
Now, the chords from C aeolian are.. Cmin, Ddim, EbMaj, Fmin, Gmin, AbMaj and BbMaj.
So a good chord progression, with a phrygian sound would be...Cmin, Dbmaj, Bbmin. Something with those chords tongue.gif

And Muris' progression is.. Tadaa: Cmin, Db, Bbmin! Exactly tongue.gif

Question, do you want us to learn this solo with your gp5 help, or can we give it a shot ourselves? I think I can learn the lesson without all the exercises... Sorry, being very much me again wink.gif
lcsdds
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 3 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
C Phrygian has the triads Cmin, Dbmaj, EbMaj, Fmin, Gdim, AbMaj, Bbmin.
These are the chords because they are minor (roman small number) or major (roman capital number) or dimnished (Locrian mode).
Now, the chords from C aeolian are.. Cmin, Ddim, EbMaj, Fmin, Gmin, AbMaj and BbMaj.
So a good chord progression, with a phrygian sound would be...Cmin, Dbmaj, Bbmin. Something with those chords tongue.gif

And Muris' progression is.. Tadaa: Cmin, Db, Bbmin! Exactly tongue.gif

Question, do you want us to learn this solo with your gp5 help, or can we give it a shot ourselves? I think I can learn the lesson without all the exercises... Sorry, being very much me again wink.gif

Good job Kazmainian Devil...\m/\m/.

Tear into the lesson. Remember my Kaz-Box spiel...You only need it when the piece you are playing is above the limits of your technique.

If you can learn this bad boy and post a clean take with good timing without using the KAZ-BOX....Have at it.

Outlaw....Did you follow that? If not get with Jer and he'll walk you through it on your thread. I want to try and keep this thread relatively clean. Everything should be related to learning the lesson.

You an Kaz probably won't have any problems with this lesson. So tear into. As soon as you guys can post clean takes we'll move on to the next level. If you get stuck....I'll get you unstuck!! laugh.gif

But....If I see any sloppy timing we get out the milkbone, hungry dog and.....THE KAZ-BOX for sure. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Outlaw2112
Notes that are the same in both C Aeolian and C Phrygian are
C,Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb

and the triads are
C, Eb, G
Eb, G, Bb
F, Ab, C
Ab, C Eb
jer
For C aeolian, start on C.

Same notes but different triads.

then what he's looking for is this:

Outlaw.... I want you to figure out the notes and triads that are found in BOTH "C Aeolian and C Phrygian".

So after you list them all, erase the ones that are not in BOTH.

I'm still around if you want to chat.

Outlaw2112
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 5 2009, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Notes that are the same in both C Aeolian and C Phrygian are
C,Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb

and the triads are
C, Eb, G
Eb, G, Bb
F, Ab, C
Ab, C Eb

Is this right?
lcsdds
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 5 2009, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this right?

Outlaw,
Tell me which note is found in C Phrygian but not C Aeolian. Then tell me which 3 triads that note is found in as the root, third and fifth. smile.gif When you tell me which triads make sure you tell me if they are major, minor or diminished.

Remember looking at the chart, the note found in the I, IV or V column is always the root of a Major triad.

The note found in the ii,iii or vi column is always the root of a minor triad.

The note found in the vii dim column is always the root of a diminished triad.

Hope this helps. Go back in the thread and see how Kaz analyzed it. He did a really good job. Then try it yourself and see if you can come to the same conclusion. smile.gif
jer
based on your original question though, that is right.

Outlaw.... I want you to figure out the notes and triads that are found in BOTH "C Aeolian and C Phrygian".
lcsdds
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 5 2009, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
based on your original question though, that is right.

True. smile.gif Just need to label the triads major and minor. smile.gif

Here is my take guys. Hey Outlaw....Those last four bars that you think are so "Nasty", guess what.....ALL TRIADS!! biggrin.gif

Who's next......
Outlaw2112
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 5 2009, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Outlaw,
Tell me which note is found in C Phrygian but not C Aeolian. Then tell me which 3 triads that note is found in as the root, third and fifth. smile.gif When you tell me which triads make sure you tell me if they are major, minor or diminished.

Remember looking at the chart, the note found in the I, IV or V column is always the root of a Major triad.

The note found in the ii,iii or vi column is always the root of a minor triad.

The note found in the vii dim column is always the root of a diminished triad.

Hope this helps. Go back in the thread and see how Kaz analyzed it. He did a really good job. Then try it yourself and see if you can come to the same conclusion. smile.gif

The C Phrygian and the C Aeolian are the same scale except the Phrygian has Db and the Aeolian has a D...

The three traids are Db F Ab minor, Bb Db F minor, G Bb Db Diminished ?
lcsdds
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 5 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The C Phrygian and the C Aeolian are the same scale except the Phrygian has Db and the Aeolian has a D...

The three traids are Db F Ab minor, Bb Db F minor, G Bb Db Diminished ?

Close Outlaw, Everything is right except for the names:

Db is the IV in the C Phrygian scale so it is Major-----I, IV and V are ALWAYS major.

Bb is the ii in the C Phrygian Scale so it is minor-----ii, iii and vi are ALWAYS minor

G is the is the vii dim in the C phrygian Scale so it is diminished-----vii dim is always diminished.

So you got everything except the Db is Major and NOT Minor.....Good Job!!! smile.gif

So the triads that are found in C Phrygian but NOT C Aeolian are:

Db Major, Bb Minor and G diminished. wink.gif
Outlaw2112
whoops... i posted this take everywhere but here... tongue.gif

here it is

lcsdds
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 7 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whoops... i posted this take everywhere but here... tongue.gif

here it is

Good job John!! There are a few licks in there that you can clean up though. The last section where he is using triads to follow the backing track is one. Get your Kaz-box out and practice those licks with the Kaz box. Do it like this.

50 bpm 1 min
60 bpm 1 min
70 bpm 1 min
80 bpm 1 min
90 bpm 1 min

So now you have just added a lick to your practice routine. Dissect out all the licks that you feel are shaky and not quite a clean as you would like and practice them this way with the Kaz box until you feel comfortable. This to me is the most effiecient use of your time, especially if you have limited practice time.

So if it were me. I would practice every one of those licks, I think I divided this lesson into 4 separate licks, with the Kaz-box and no tracking. Without the backing or GP file playing it will force you to really figure out how the lick needs to be phrased in relation to the beat.

On the slower licks you don't need to drop the BPM like I gave you the example of earlier. Just set the Kaz-box for the tempo of the song and play it by itself for 5 min. You'll be surprised how long 5 min seems to be when playing just one lick over and over. Your assignment for next week is to do this.

Play the Phrygian beginner lesson as the 4 separate licks by themself with just the Kaz-box for 5 min each. Then play the lesson with the backing track for another 10 to 15 min. I think if you practice this lesson this way that you will really improve your playing of it.

Also, you can break up those last 4 bars and work on those licks individually as well. This should show you how you can build your practice routine. You should always have plenty of material to practice if you practice this way.

I want you to try it this way and post me a new and improve take next week. smile.gif Pay attention to your picking hand on those last licks. Watch Muris's and my take and try and duplicate them. Looks to me like you are using all down strokes. A combo of AP an sweeping will work better. Let me know if you want me to upload a new tab for you with the picking directions notated for that last lick. Good job John!! smile.gif
kaznie_NL
Can any of you guys post the BT here? Otherwise I'm gonna have a crackling BT again wink.gif
lcsdds
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 7 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can any of you guys post the BT here? Otherwise I'm gonna have a crackling BT again wink.gif

I'll post it later today for you KazMan. smile.gif
Outlaw2112
hey my phrygian brothers,

check this out

lcsdds
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 8 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey my phrygian brothers,

check this out

Dave does some cool web lessons. I think he did one on every mode if I am not mistaken. Good find John. smile.gif
Outlaw2112
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 8 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dave does some cool web lessons. I think he did one on every mode if I am not mistaken. Good find John. smile.gif

yeah he has one for every mode...
Outlaw2112
I sat on the phone with logitech suport for over an hour trying to work through
the static i was getting on my webcam.. I made this tonight messing with the sound levels
and just wanted to test it out... I figured i would show it to you to see my timing, i wasnt properly
warmed up when i made this, not making excuses but just letting you know..

kaznie_NL
Hey Monte, I'm gonna upload this one soon, I just need some more time on the outro lick at the 15th and 11th fret. It's very anoying xD

cya btw, nice guitar outlaw!
lcsdds
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 11 2009, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Monte, I'm gonna upload this one soon, I just need some more time on the outro lick at the 15th and 11th fret. It's very anoying xD

cya btw, nice guitar outlaw!

No Problem Kaz.....Pay attention to your pick direction on these licks. Should help. smile.gif

QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 11 2009, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sat on the phone with logitech suport for over an hour trying to work through
the static i was getting on my webcam.. I made this tonight messing with the sound levels
and just wanted to test it out... I figured i would show it to you to see my timing, i wasnt properly
warmed up when i made this, not making excuses but just letting you know..

Timing was definitely better John. I would still Isolate the last two licks and work on it with the Kaz-Box. You seem to rush this part a little. I think just you and the Kaz-box and focusing on where the beat falls would really help. Don't be afraid to slow it WAY down. You'll be surprised how hard it can be to play on a slow tempo. Give it a shot!! smile.gif

How is your sweeping coming?
Outlaw2112
Ill post something tonight on sweeping, triads and my kazbox struggles. How was the sound on that
last upload.. Sounded like the bass was too heavy, i need to mess with speaker placement
lcsdds
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 11 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ill post something tonight on sweeping, triads and my kazbox struggles. How was the sound on that
last upload.. Sounded like the bass was too heavy, i need to mess with speaker placement

It sounded better than last time and I think it was fine for our purposes. I'd really like to see a video of you playing that last lick at like 50 bpm. I want to see how you handle the really slow settings. If you dial into that I think after a week or so you will really notice a difference in your timing.

I know it has helped Dan's timing a lot to slow it way down.....at least it seems to have helped. smile.gif
Outlaw2112
I dont know how i would even slow that down.. Im just playing off of feeling on this.. Im not counting or
any of that, im just listening to the backing track and playing where the notes feel like they are suposed to
fall... A video on playing it with the metronome both in time and slowed down would help out alot... I learn
alot more watching someone doing something and explaining it then reading about it.. I tend to get bored reading
after about the first sentence or two.. not a reading fan here smile.gif
opeth.db
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 11 2009, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know how i would even slow that down.. Im just playing off of feeling on this.. Im not counting or
any of that, im just listening to the backing track and playing where the notes feel like they are suposed to
fall... A video on playing it with the metronome both in time and slowed down would help out alot... I learn
alot more watching someone doing something and explaining it then reading about it.. I tend to get bored reading
after about the first sentence or two.. not a reading fan here smile.gif

I would just work on the kaz box for a week and getting down counting your notes per beat.

Then you will see how to apply this too those last licks.
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 11 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would just work on the kaz box for a week and getting down counting your notes per beat.

Then you will see how to apply this too those last licks.

That is what I would reccomend too John. Those last licks are straight 16th notes....4 notes per beat....break it into licks and do the Kazbox routine. I'll see if I can't make a video for you showing you how to count it. I'll try and do it tonight for you and you can see what I mean.
kaznie_NL
can anyone pls upload the bT
lcsdds
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 12 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
can anyone pls upload the bT

I keep forgetting Kaz.....I'll do it first thing when I get home if somebody hasn't done it already. smile.gif
kaznie_NL
I already got it, so no need tongue.gif mixing now...
lcsdds
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 12 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I already got it, so no need tongue.gif mixing now...

Cool Kaz!....Are you gonna do a video or just mp3?
kaznie_NL

Does that awnser your question? tongue.gif

The video isn't the same take as the audio, but the difference is very small. I did a little screw up in the videotake, and also a little screw up in this one, but I thought this one was better. Hope you like it wink.gif
lcsdds
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 12 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does that awnser your question? tongue.gif

The video isn't the same take as the audio, but the difference is very small. I did a little screw up in the videotake, and also a little screw up in this one, but I thought this one was better. Hope you like it wink.gif

Looked and sounded good Kaz!! You could clean up the last section a little but over all it was very nice. smile.gif You up for giving the Lydian intermediate a shot? Dan and I are both gonna start working on it. I hope John will as well when he gets the timing for this lesson worked out. Good job dude! smile.gif
Outlaw2112
I would like to know how this intermediate phrygian soloing lesson is only rated a 6.. might take me some time to get this up to yoda muris speed... laugh.gif
lcsdds
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 19 2009, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to know how this intermediate phrygian soloing lesson is only rated a 6.. might take me some time to get this up to yoda muris speed... laugh.gif

I thought the same thing about the lydian lesson John!! laugh.gif I have been working on the advanced lydian and intermediate and here is my reasoning on the the different level ratings.

In the Lydian intermediate there are basically 2 difficult techniques going on: Fast legato and fast AP.

In the Lydian intermediate there are Sweep tap arpeggios, fast AP with string skipping, hybrid picking, fast legato.

I think it is the amount of different techniques.

Let me know if you want any help with the phrasing on it John. I can make you a video going over the tab and how to count it if you would like. I would send it to you via skype though. Youtube kills the quality of the video. I'm gonna tear into this lesson next week so I will be able to help you with it a little more then, but I would be happy to go over the GP file if you need it. smile.gif
kaznie_NL
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 12 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looked and sounded good Kaz!! You could clean up the last section a little but over all it was very nice. smile.gif You up for giving the Lydian intermediate a shot? Dan and I are both gonna start working on it. I hope John will as well when he gets the timing for this lesson worked out. Good job dude! smile.gif

sorry for the late reply, I'm doing Lydian beginner first. That's not very hard should be able to film it this week. Maybe tonight...
lcsdds
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 19 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry for the late reply, I'm doing Lydian beginner first. That's not very hard should be able to film it this week. Maybe tonight...

Sounds good Kaz...look forward to seeing it. smile.gif
Outlaw2112
Guess im the only phrygian left... well im going to get the intermediate done and keep the phrygians hope alive
lcsdds
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 20 2009, 02:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guess im the only phrygian left... well im going to get the intermediate done and keep the phrygians hope alive

John...Have you tried isolating those last couple of licks in the beginner lessons...the arpeggios? I'd like to see a video of you playing that with just you and the Kaz-box if possible. Thanks dude!! smile.gif
kaznie_NL
Lydian beginner is being uploaded now, along five others for the REC program, so it might take a while tongue.gif

It has some minor mistakes because of very rough fingers, and not enough practice wink.gif For some reason sliding goes very bad atm... It's like my fingers can't slide, to rough. I thought it was the FastFret I started using a week ago, but Bogdan and Ivan told me that FF would do the opposite, make sliding easier!
Outlaw2112
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 20 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lydian beginner is being uploaded now, along five others for the REC program, so it might take a while tongue.gif

It has some minor mistakes because of very rough fingers, and not enough practice wink.gif For some reason sliding goes very bad atm... It's like my fingers can't slide, to rough. I thought it was the FastFret I started using a week ago, but Bogdan and Ivan told me that FF would do the opposite, make sliding easier!

hey kaz, try finger ease and fast fret.. I put fast fret on after im done playing and finger ease on before i start playing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.