Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lcsdds Mtp Lydian Serial
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > MTP - The Mentored Training Program > Lcsdds
lcsdds
Alright, Jer, Opeth and Marek are gonna be working together on Muris's Lydian serial. Post all your questions and takes here.

I'm gonna be asking you guys questions from time to time about this lesson as well. smile.gif

I'll post the tab that I want you to work off of here in this thread.

Thanks for the Serial Muris!! smile.gif

Let's ROCK!! \m/\m/

Stay Tuned......
lcsdds
Here is the tab I want you to work off of. You'll notice I've broken it up into 5 licks and I've specified which bars comprise the licks.

Go ahead and download the tab and check it out, and I'll give more instructions later on today. smile.gif
lcsdds
Alright guys let's get started. I'm gonna learn this lesson and upload my takes along with you guys. smile.gif

First thing we need to do is to make sure that Muris glasses are working and he didn't screw up reading the chart I gave him to figure out how to write a Lydian Chord progression and write this lesson as an Ionian lesson instead of a Lydian lesson. laugh.gif laugh.gif

According to Muris he starts out in E Lydian and then changes keys to Bb Lydian and then goes back to E Lydian. Hmmm...We shall see!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Jer you are responsible for analyzing E Lydian and making sure the chords that Muris is using are indeed E Lydian. Make sure you let us know why you came to that conclusion. smile.gif smile.gif

Dan you are responsible for doing the same thing with Bb Lydian.

Marek I want you to figure out the triads found in both Bb and E lydian so we can check Jer and Dan's work.

I got a revised chart for you guys to work off of so download it if you want it.

After we do this I'll give you guys further instructions on how we are gonna break this lesson down.

Get to work!!! wink.gif smile.gif
jer
*gets out red pen* eyeballs Muris suspiciously......

Jer you are responsible for analyzing E Lydian and making sure the chords that Muris is using are indeed E Lydian. Make sure you let us know why you came to that conclusion.

The chords of E Lydian are as follows.

Emaj E, G#, B
F#maj F#, A#, C#
G#min G#, B, D#
A#dim A#, C#, E
Bmaj B, D#, F#
C#min C#, E, G#
D#min D#, F#, A#

The ones that give it its Lydian-ness are F#maj, A#dim, and D#min. Due to that A#. A Ionian uses A instead of A#.

Lets go to the video and see if he mindshis P's and Q's.....

Be right back.

Ummm....... which video am I looking at?

Got a link?
lcsdds
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 3 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*gets out red pen* eyeballs Muris suspiciously......

The chords of E Lydian are as follows.

Emaj E, G#, B
F#maj F#, A#, C#
G#min G#, B, D#
A#dim A#, C#, E
Bmaj B, D#, F#
C#min C#, E, G#
D#min D#, F#, A#

The ones that give it its Lydian-ness are F#maj, A#dim, and D#min. Due to that A#. A Ionian uses A instead of A#.

Lets go to the video and see if he mindshis P's and Q's.....

Be right back.

Ummm....... which video am I looking at?

Got a link?

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...asing-beginner/

Good Job Jer!!! \m/\m/

I gotta say...You are A LOT smarter than Dan told me you were.... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
jer
Hmmm....

Here are the chords he's using. (from the tab or the video itself)

E
E+11
F#/E
F#
Bb
Bb+11
C/Bb

Ummm...... Well..... F# is in our list. Its good. 6 left.

E
E+11
F#/E
Bb
Bb+11
C/Bb

E is good too. 5 left.

E+11
F#/E
Bb
Bb+11
C/Bb

Not sure what F#/E is but if F# and E were ok then I'm assuming its alright too. 4 left.

E+11
Bb
Bb+11
C/Bb

Now, these chords I have a problem with.

"E+11" Adding the 11 (A) to E isnt jiving. E Lydian has A# in it. Not A. What gives Muris?

"Bb" and "C/Bb" There is no Bb note in E Lydian or E Ionian.... No C neither. Muris, I'm going to have to ask you to sit in this dental chair a second. Nurse, get my pliers.

Oh wait a second here.... In the lesson notes:

So we start in E Lydian, modulate into Bb Lydian and go back to E Lydian.

Bb Lydian you say? Well lets check the good doctors chart... Bb Lydian = Bb C D E F G A

Muris, my good man. Looks like you are free to go!

lcsdds
"E+11" Adding the 11 (A) to E isnt jiving. E Lydian has A# in it. Not A. What gives Muris?

E+11=E Augmented11=Emajor with the 11th (A) raised 1/2 step=E major with A# added to it....Looks like Muris is in the clear!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif
jer
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 3 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
E+11=E Augmented11=Emajor with the 11th (A) raised 1/2 step=E major with A# added to it....Looks like Muris is in the clear!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ahh is that why it was written E11+ ?

the + means raise the 11 a half step?
lcsdds
Not sure what F#/E is but if F# and E were ok then I'm assuming its alright too. 4 left.

F#/E=Slash chord=F#major with an E bass
F# is definitely lydian and by playing the E in the bass it strengthens the "E Lydian tonality" even more....Damn, Muris does know what he is doing!! laugh.gif ph34r.gif
opeth.db
What am I supposed to do here? dry.gif
jer
Jer you are responsible for analyzing E Lydian and making sure the chords that Muris is using are indeed E Lydian. Make sure you let us know why you came to that conclusion.

Dan you are responsible for doing the same thing with Bb Lydian.

Oops... I already did that part.

My bad.
lcsdds
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 3 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What am I supposed to do here? dry.gif

Go to Wal-Mart and buy a Family Size box of milkbones.....Go to the Dog pound and find the biggest, meanest, Hungriest Dog you can...Go to Iowa and stop by Jer's house...You know the rest...... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
jer
smile.gif
lcsdds
Alright guys, I am just gonna turn you loose on this bad boy. Going from the tab shall we say the first two licks by the weekend? If that is not realistic let me know.

I'm not gonna give any Kaz-Box lectures until I see you need them...So clean up your playing and I better not see any sloppy timing. tongue.gif mad.gif

I'll try to post my take on the whole lesson by the weekend. smile.gif

And they're off.......
jer
Whats the 1st 2 licks exactly?

This?

E E11+ E

E||--6g7----6---------------|------------------------|
B||--------------7s----9----|------------------------|
G||-------------------------|-------4s----8s----6----|
D||-------------------------|------------------------|
A||-------------------------|------------------------|
E||-------------------------|------------------------|

E F#/E E

--6g7----6----------------|----------------------|
--------------7s----14----|-------17b------------|
--------------------------|----------------------|

E E F#

-----------------------------|--------------------------|
--6g12----11-----------------|--------------------------|
----------------11s----13----|--------------------------|
-----------------------------|-------9s----13s----11----|
lcsdds
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 3 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whats the 1st 2 licks exactly?

This?

E E11+ E

E||--6g7----6---------------|------------------------|
B||--------------7s----9----|------------------------|
G||-------------------------|-------4s----8s----6----|
D||-------------------------|------------------------|
A||-------------------------|------------------------|
E||-------------------------|------------------------|

E F#/E E

--6g7----6----------------|----------------------|
--------------7s----14----|-------17b------------|

E E F#

--6g12----11-----------------|--------------------------|
----------------11s----13----|--------------------------|
-----------------------------|-------9s----13s----11----|

Seriously dude!!....Do you really think I would give you a tab without the licks labeled nice and neat above the measures and even spelling out which bars the lick entails!! mad.gif mad.gif smile.gif
jer
Hey, sorry man, I got this tab from the lesson. I cant view GP files at work. I was watching the lesson and following along with this tab since its all I can view.

I'll check it out at home.

Marek Rojewski
E lydian has the following triads: Bmaj C#min D#min Emaj F#maj G#min A#dim

Bb lydian has the following triads: Fmaj Gmin Amin Bbmaj Cmaj Dmin Edim

I read how Kaznie found out the triads in the phrygian thread, and thanks to that understood how to use the table You gave us...
lcsdds
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Mar 3 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
E lydian has the following triads: Bmaj C#min D#min Emaj F#maj G#min A#dim

Bb lydian has the following triads: Fmaj Gmin Amin Bbmaj Cmaj Dmin Edim

I read how Kaznie found out the triads in the phrygian thread, and thanks to that understood how to use the table You gave us...

Good Job Marek. Read through the other threads on the theory and any questions you have go ahead and take them up with Dan in your thread. Good Job Dude!! smile.gif

QUOTE (jer @ Mar 3 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, sorry man, I got this tab from the lesson. I cant view GP files at work. I was watching the lesson and following along with this tab since its all I can view.

I'll check it out at home.

Alright dude you get a pass....This Time!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Lick 1=Bars 1-6

Lick 2=Bars 7-8

Feel free to continue on if you want. I want to see how you guys approach learning this. I'm not gonna intervene until I see somebody needs help. smile.gif

jer
those first 2 licks look pretty simple.

Are we playing them with no backing, just the kaz box? Or to the backing tracks on the lesson?
lcsdds
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 3 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
those first 2 licks look pretty simple.

Are we playing them with no backing, just the kaz box? Or to the backing tracks on the lesson?

On this lesson I'm not gonna worry about the Kaz-box unless I see something in your posting that needs work. Sloppy timing, can't play a run up to speed etc,. You guys get free run on this one because it is pretty basic. If you can whip this whole lesson out this week Jer, have at it!! As soon as somebody gets it up to tempo I am gonna throw a little twist at them before I let them "graduate" to intermediate. smile.gif

If you guys can whip this out this week, knock yourself out. I just don't want to overload anybody. So first two licks at full tempo with the backing track and an embedded youtube vid would be great....The whole lesson would be even better.

\m/\m/
jer
This is a Lydian lesson...

Looking at the standard notation on muris's lesson I see 4 sharps.

Lydian is the 4th mode of the major scale.

Coincidence?

Click to view attachment
lcsdds
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 4 2009, 03:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a Lydian lesson...

Looking at the standard notation on muris's lesson I see 4 sharps.

Lydian is the 4th mode of the major scale.

Coincidence?

Click to view attachment

Check out the 2nd note in the music. See the #, that note is "A#". So 4 sharps in the key signature and 1 sharp in the music itself=5 sharps total, Hence B major or E lydian. smile.gif
lcsdds
Alright Guys.....So instead of just having you guys be a bunch of Parrots and learn and regurgitate this first lesson in the Lydian serial I thought we would analyze it and figure out what is really going on here.

Of course.......I am gonna have you guys do the analysis though. smile.gif

We are doing this because it is cool to learn licks, but learning FROM licks......EVEN COOLER!! smile.gif

So here is the first one. The lick we are analyzing can be found at the bottom of the post.

First lick we are gonna break down is Lick 5 from the tab I had you guys download. If you didn't download it go back to the start of the thread and Get it:

BEGINNER LYDIAN PHRASING BY THE "BOSNIAN BEAST"---LICK 5:

So this lick is two bars long. The first half of the bar is played over an E major Chord and the 2nd half over and E+11. Bar two is played over an E major.

Here to break down the chord progression is JER....it's hard to believe that out of a million sperm.... that he was the fastest. tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Take it away Jer.........

E

also known as Emaj = E G# B

The 11 of that would be A. Augmenting that would make it A#

So E 11+ is E, G#, B, A#

Why is it a Lydian chord? Well, looking at the chart for Lydian I see there is no E Lydian. That doesnt make sense to me.... Looking elsewhere I discover that E Lydian = E F# G# A# B C# D#

All of the notes of that chord are in the E Lydian scale. And compared to E Ionian its got the A# instead of the A.

So its Lydian-ness is supplied by that A#. So when I play that chord I would pick the A# just a bit harder and I'd kick my leg into theair a' la Yngwie to enphasize it.

-JER-

So Jer....Why does the tapping lick that the BOSNIAN BEAST plays here sound so COOL and SEXY when played over this chord progression?.......

Jedi master Muris is exhibiting typical coolness here.

Over the E chord (E, G# he is getting jiggy with these triplet licks. (1st half of bar 1)

E, A#, G# & D#, A#, G# Both licks have the A# so that should sound Lydian over the backing chord. And the 2nd lick has the D#, which is also in E Lydian. The D# is also the VII in the Emaj chord. So adding that in there fits nicely.

Then over the E11+ chord he is continuing the D#, A#, G# lick. The E 11+ chord is E, G#, B, A#. Again, the D# in the lick is the VII in the Emaj chord. So it fits well.

Then he drops to C#, A#, G# to finish off the bar. Still over the E11+ chord. That C# isn’t in the chord itself, but it is in the E Lydian scale.

In bar 2 we go back to the lick with D# in it. Which we covered above. And then the C# one again, then finally he finishes it by going down to B then E. Both of which are in E Lydian and E Ionian.

So… In a nutshell, he’s using the notes of the chord in the backing. And dancing around the other notes in the scale as well.

-JER-

GOOD JOB JER!!! \m/\m/

There you have it folks. Lick 5 from the Lydian Phrasing Beginner lesson by the Bosnian Beast broken down. Next up Opeth.db and Lick 6........
lcsdds
Here is my take. Kind of sloppy with the timing. This is not an easy solo timing wise. I still need to clean it up but here it is for now. smile.gif

Just waiting for you now Jer!! smile.gif \m/\m/
kaznie_NL
So here's mine:
jer
Pretty good Kaz.

Nice guitar!

All that stood out to me on that was the bends. To me they all sound a touch flat.
kaznie_NL
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 22 2009, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty good Kaz.

Nice guitar!

All that stood out to me on that was the bends. To me they all sound a touch flat.

Haha, sorry, I kinda rushed it.... Normaly my bends are ok, luckily. Guitar is Ibanez SA 08 LTD2 BAR, and I believe its kinda limited model.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.