Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triads Are Hard For Me...
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > MTP - The Mentored Training Program > Lcsdds
jer
I have always struggled with playing these. I understand the concept. No problem there.

But playing them has always been difficult.

And I finally figured out why.

Nearly ALL of my playing over the years has been in one direction. UP the neck. Towards the bridge. I am stuck in powerchord land. Look at the shape of a powerchord, they go up the neck. Index finger always on the root.

Scale shapes. Always starting ascending. Towards the bridge.

If I play anything while going down the neck its usually on a single string. Or descending powerchords.

Now look at the major/minor triad shapes on our handout... Look how many have the bottom string out in front of the others.

ALL BUT ONE.

It just doesnt feel right to me. I'm used to everything going the other way.....
sted
I was discussing triads with my tutor last night, its gonna take me a long, long time to figure these things out! Is there any sections in the Wiki on triads, if not will there be one *winks at the wikiers* wink.gif
jer
nope. no page called "triads"

Here is a search.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...h?search=triads

Velvet Roger
If I may jump in a bit in this thread (sorry Monte wink.gif) . You may find my triads lesson useful, which contains several exercises to learn basic triads in different inversions throughout the neck.

You can find that here

Btw, I recognize your comment Jer, I had the same prior to starting my lessons IRL with a guitar teacher last year. It will take some efforts, but in the end it really pays off knowing these shapes all over the place smile.gif
lcsdds
I feel you pain Jer. That is why I advocate the timer thing. Set you timer for 5 minutes and pick 1 box, either major or minor, and just try your best to finger them. Do the same box for a week, five minutes a day. Pretty soon they will be second nature. The timer allows you to cover something boring like triads and scale boxes for a small amount of time every time you practice and soon the stuff gets easier.

Remember too, for soloing you won't be playing them as chords but rather as single notes.

Don't try and learn these things all in one week. Just integrate it slowly into your practice routine and in a month or so you will have all the major and minor triad shapes in your toolbox.

5 min a day dude. smile.gif
jer
Oh yeah, I agree. And thats how I'll learn them.

I wanted to share why they are hard for me.

Newbies out there. Dont just play UP the neck. Play down and from high to low strings too. Walk forwards as much as you walk backwards.

I find playing them as single notes much easier. I cna move through them fairly well that way.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.