Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Music Theory
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > MTP - The Mentored Training Program > Uncleskillet
Boson
Hey Jeff

My knowledge of theory is zero! sad.gif

Do you intend setting some theory assignments too? I need some structure or even just a kick up the backside to begin to learn some useful theory!

Really what I'm asking is where do I start?

Cheers
UncleSkillet
QUOTE (Boson @ Mar 7 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Jeff

My knowledge of theory is zero! sad.gif

Do you intend setting some theory assignments too? I need some structure or even just a kick up the backside to begin to learn some useful theory!

Really what I'm asking is where do I start?

Cheers

Tony, I know how you feel bro and yes we will get to the theory part of it, no worries.

I am only a few years younger then you but if you want a little kick here and there that is fine. biggrin.gif Andrews’s theory board is a great place to get information. You can print it off and read it when you don't have access to a computer. dry.gif Check out the pentatonic stuff since you seem to like the blues. That will get your brain pumping.

My teaching approach is maybe somewhat different than others probably because I'm mostly self taught. I believe it is important for you to develop different techniques and chops along with following your ear. That is what I want to do with you right now. While your learning these lessons we will talk about theory here and there as needed. Just feel the music for now and trust your ear. Many players forget to work on there ear training and this is very important.

There are a lot of players out there that no a bunch of theory but have no idea how to play or apply it in a musical sense with feeling. Lets get more musical before we get all caught up in the technical.

Sound OK with you Tony? smile.gif

Boson
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 8 2009, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tony, I know how you feel bro and yes we will get to the theory part of it, no worries.

I am only a few years younger then you but if you want a little kick here and there that is fine. biggrin.gif Andrews’s theory board is a great place to get information. You can print it off and read it when you don't have access to a computer. dry.gif Check out the pentatonic stuff since you seem to like the blues. That will get your brain pumping.

My teaching approach is maybe somewhat different than others probably because I'm mostly self taught. I believe it is important for you to develop different techniques and chops along with following your ear. That is what I want to do with you right now. While your learning these lessons we will talk about theory here and there as needed. Just feel the music for now and trust your ear. Many players forget to work on there ear training and this is very important.

There are a lot of players out there that no a bunch of theory but have no idea how to play or apply it in a musical sense with feeling. Lets get more musical before we get all caught up in the technical.

Sound OK with you Tony? smile.gif

Yes thats fine with me. What would be good to know would be knowing what sounds good with what, if that makes sense. I am sure you are right that this will come with experience.

I'm not sure what you mean by "chop" is it the same as a riff or lick or something different?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.