Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Long Do You Take To Learn A Lesson Here At Gmc
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
FFranco
This is just a fun poll to see how long does a member take to learn a lesson here at GMC.
Artemus
It really does depend on the lesson - if it's something I can handle and isn't beyond my technical capabilities then a day usually suffices. However, I don't get anywhere by just learning things I can already handle so I tend to push myself to play harder lessons and so it boils down to how long it takes for me to master a technique to a certain level.. weeks, months, years maybe.
JVM
As artemus says, it depends on the lesson. If its something within my abilities, then yeah a day will do. Otherwise, I usually spend at least a week on a lesson beyond my ability. Often more. There is one lesson I've been working on for two years tongue.gif*

*not really "working on", but started and haven't finished
sigma7
i learn everything the lesson has to offer such as theiry harmony, improv, etc
lcsdds
There are some lessons I will probably never finish. Muris has me working on his AP etude.....it has really improved my AP but I can only play it really clean at 80 bpm and he plays it at 150 bpm. That to me is something that I will be working on for as long as it takes to master. A year, 2 years....who knows. Artemus has it right though.....depends on if I have the technical capabilities to play whatever is in the lesson. smile.gif
FFranco
I can agree with all of you. It really does depend on mastering the technique and I have had the experience to take months to master a technique. Thanks for all the responses this really helps us learn what practice time is all about.
superize
It really depends on the lesson...... Lians rythm lesson i can learn in acouple of hour bur Muris lesson i need Days and even weeks to learn depending on the difficulty
Canis
Depends on what you mean by "learn", really.. If you mean to learn what notes to play etc, I only use a couple of hours on most lessons.
If you mean play flawlessly, learn all the theory behind it, and get it up to speed with a backing track.. Then I could use anything between a day and two weeks on it, depending on the lesson in hand ;P
Jesse
Canis summed it up perfectly:D
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Canis @ Apr 30 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends on what you mean by "learn", really.. If you mean to learn what notes to play etc, I only use a couple of hours on most lessons.
If you mean play flawlessly, learn all the theory behind it, and get it up to speed with a backing track.. Then I could use anything between a day and two weeks on it, depending on the lesson in hand ;P

I guess poll should be about this - completely learning the lesson!
Ivan Milenkovic
It sort of depends what lesson you are learning, not all lessons are of the same difficulty level, and levels vary from person to person as well.
Keilnoth
Same here... It takes me from a couple of hours to a few days to learn a level 4 lesson as I am a beginner.
Pedja Simovic
It can range from couple of minutes to couple of weeks.
Depends on tempo , techniques used, sound and familiarity with style mostly.
TheOldOnes
Like most posters, I rarely go for lessons in which I know the techniques pretty well although I sometimes take them on because of a particular riff that I find fascinating (I have a list of about 20 lessons where I know parts quite well). Most lessons I work on have some difficult (for me) sections that I think are important to learn and these often take me weeks or months to finish. I don't know about other players but I seem to have less problems getting the notes than getting the proper rythm. For example, I am amazed with all the renditions of Piotyr's Gary Moore lesson - seems alot of players have picked that up quickly - in my own case, the notes I got down pat in just a few hours but it has taken me more than a month to get the rhythm and sound close to being right (one problem is that I think that lesson is much easier to learn following the video rather than the guitarpro file).
Artemus
QUOTE (TheOldOnes @ Apr 30 2009, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like most posters, I rarely go for lessons in which I know the techniques pretty well although I sometimes take them on because of a particular riff that I find fascinating (I have a list of about 20 lessons where I know parts quite well). Most lessons I work on have some difficult (for me) sections that I think are important to learn and these often take me weeks or months to finish. I don't know about other players but I seem to have less problems getting the notes than getting the proper rythm. For example, I am amazed with all the renditions of Piotyr's Gary Moore lesson - seems alot of players have picked that up quickly - in my own case, the notes I got down pat in just a few hours but it has taken me more than a month to get the rhythm and sound close to being right (one problem is that I think that lesson is much easier to learn following the video rather than the guitarpro file).

It's a deceptive lesson. The notes and such are easy enough but the rhythm placement, the feel and the little touches that are required take a lot to get the hang of. Give me a shred-a-lot solo and I'll eventually get the notes and the speed some day but with Piotr's lesson I really have to disconnect and listen. When I'm in the right mood, that lesson flows and I love playing it but with a record button on, I fail. It's like when someone tells you to smile/cheer up when you're down.. yeah you might smile half-heartedly but you can't actually smile.
Oops, I'm rambling. Back on topic. The guitar pro tabs I always treat as a guide, nothing more. A useful guide but that's all. Watching and listening and comprehending the lessons from the videos are key to getting the right understanding and benefit from every lesson.
FFranco
Most people fail to understand that it takes time to become a great musician. Most of the best licks and techniques that we seen are the hardest and for a beginner who thinks he or she will become that great in little time will most likely tend to quit. So I do agree that it may even take months to completely finish a lesson at normal speed. Beginners and everybody who is getting the hang of practice should understand that they need to be consistent.
FFranco
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Apr 30 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends how long (in seconds) the lesson is.

Well most lessons are around a minute long
Fran
I voted 4-7 days, but that's an average.

It depends on what you undestand by "learn". And the difficulty. Some lessons can take a couple days, others 3 weeks... and even when I "know" them, that doesn't mean I can always play them smoothly!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.