Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zz Top Sound
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > David Wallimann > Backing Tracks (David)
Berglmir
Hi David!

LOVE your ZZ TOP Lesson.
As said in the feedback to your lesson I like the typical sound of this great band - but that´s exactly my question:
How do you achieve that with settings (I use guitar rig 3) and/or playing technique??

I have noticed that your lesson is quite free of "harmonics" which I love so much in songs like "My Heads in Mississippi" and "Sleeping Bag". But are they really pinched Harmonics or "just" the way the guitar sounds?!

It´s a bit difficult for me to really point out what I´m meaning, but I think some of you might be able to help me out here?! ;-)

Thanks in advance!!
Cheers
Berglmir

PS. Sorry for the worng forum! huh.gif
David Wallimann
Hi Berglmir,
You're in luck!
I used Guitar Rig 3 as well and I simply used a preset from there.
Here it is upload in this post for you.
You will need to change the extention to .bnk for it to work. Enjoy!

Click to view attachment
Berglmir
Thx very much David!

Unfortunately I can not make the GR3 bank work - I imported it allright but it´s more a less a caption oder header in GR3 without any settings behind it. Would be interessting to know if other people have the same challange.

My main question sort of remains: Do you know if Mr. Gibbons or you yourself in the lesson used pinched harmonics?
In solos in songs like "Sleeping Bag" oder "My Heads in Mississippi" I´m quite sure of it (although they don´t sound like "squealies".)
Highly appreciate any tips/answers! smile.gif

Cheers
Berglmir
Toroso
QUOTE (Berglmir @ May 9 2009, 09:29 AM) *
Thx very much David!

Unfortunately I can not make the GR3 bank work - I imported it allright but it´s more a less a caption oder header in GR3 without any settings behind it. Would be interessting to know if other people have the same challange.

My main question sort of remains: Do you know if Mr. Gibbons or you yourself in the lesson used pinched harmonics?
In solos in songs like "Sleeping Bag" oder "My Heads in Mississippi" I´m quite sure of it (although they don´t sound like "squalies".)
Highly appreciate any tips/answers! smile.gif

Cheers
Berglmir

Yes, BG uses pinch extensively. It's ingrained into his style of play. It is rumored that he used to use a Mexican peso for a pick to get those raspy sounding squeals. Try using the fat side of your pick with a little thumb brush. And a dirty amp setting too! smile.gif
Berglmir
GREAT Info Toroso - thx a lot!
When I have mastered Davids ZZTop Licks I´ll post the results

Cheers muchly!
rico
i david this is rico, it doesn't work for me windows said dommage file can't open , how do we proced, thanks dav the great

Hi Berglmir,
You're in luck!
I used Guitar Rig 3 as well and I simply used a preset from there.
Here it is upload in this post for you.
You will need to change the extention to .bnk for it to work. Enjoy!

Click to view attachment
[/quote]
David Wallimann
Sorry, I'm having trouble uploading a .bnk file on GMC.
I zipped it, unzip and let me know if that works!

Click to view attachment

rico
doesn't work for me
David Wallimann
Could it be because I am using a Mac?
Berglmir
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ May 13 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Could it be because I am using a Mac?

YUP - that´s what I though also when I unzipped your last upload. Would be a very rare occasion that something from Mac works for PC (and vice versa of course) wink.gif

Can you upload a screenshot of your settings/effects/amps you use for your ZZ Top Emulation?

Thanks in advance
Berglmir
As promised above - here´s my take on Davids lesson:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=27423

Looking forward to your feedback! unsure.gif

Cheers
Berglmir

PS. My recording is awful - I know!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.