Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips For Fast Alternate Picking
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Lian Gerbino
Praetorian
Lian,

I am practicing your Death Metal Rhythm Guitar Part 1 lesson and LOVE IT! It sounds killer bro!!!! I am having a hard time doing the fast alternate picking section in video 2 cleanly. The problem is...I seem to be able to play it cleaner when I hold the pick completely differently than when I usually play. I find that if I use a "David Wallimann" style grip, I am able to control the pick more for the open e alternate picking...but can't play anything else that way. I seem to hold the pick more like you for everything else I play. Is it bad to change grips on the pick? Does it just come with more practice?

Thanks man!

Ben

Also, do you seem to use the same presets for your lessons or do you come up with new ones for each one?
Lian Gerbino
well man, after all, thanks for kind words! I´m so glad you find interesting even killer ^^ one of my lesson smile.gif

about grip: I do not recommend many styles to grip or hold your pick man, even 2 styles are too much for me. I don´t know if it´s bad or not, I think if you can do it, and then you feel comfortable with it. it´s ok. but, if you´r playing everything else with your "normal position" I´d suggest more practice over there and forget the rest ^^. trust me, this´s the easiest position and one of the most technical postures to use your hand. when you got it, you´ll be able to play over 200 bpm without feeling tired.

presets: I use same presets ´cause I like them ^^ . but when I got a particular request, I make a new preset trying to stay close from the band or guitar player I´m covering.

Praetorian
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ May 29 2009, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well man, after all, thanks for kind words! I´m so glad you find interesting even killer ^^ one of my lesson smile.gif

about grip: I do not recommend many styles to grip or hold your pick man, even 2 styles are too much for me. I don´t know if it´s bad or not, I think if you can do it, and then you feel comfortable with it. it´s ok. but, if you´r playing everything else with your "normal position" I´d suggest more practice over there and forget the rest ^^. trust me, this´s the easiest position and one of the most technical postures to use your hand. when you got it, you´ll be able to play over 200 bpm without feeling tired.

presets: I use same presets ´cause I like them ^^ . but when I got a particular request, I make a new preset trying to stay close from the band or guitar player I´m covering.

Thanks Lian! What preset did you use for this one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.