Full Version: Jimi Hendrix
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Bands and Guitarists
Guitar Master123
Hendrix is here! biggrin.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch314yEGVQI
Steelkonsum
QUOTE (Guitar Master123 @ Feb 18 2007, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, but how is this anything special? huh.gif

I'm not a big Hendrix fan, admittedly, but even this has to be low on his standards.
Guitar Master123
I want to see what people at GMC think of Hendrix. I am not a big fan of him either.
Pavel
There are lot's of topics on Hendrix around so i think there is no point in starting the same discussion in 5 different topics.

I love Hendrix's songs when they are performed by Steve Vai!
Hendrix to me is just another guitarist, although a great composer.

BTW. IT'S JUST MY OPINION smile.gif
Robin
Fire is my absolute favorite hendrix song!!! I LOVE it.
guitarmasterwannabe
I am not trying to be mean here..but i really think hendrix is overrated..i hate his tone..and he is quite sloppy sometimes..i dont know why people worship him so much...his composing skills were good..but as a guitarist..he is just good..i dont think he is a legend at all..SRV is the real legend..is tone,vibration,everything perfect:)
Maximus
I think his brilliance has to be seen from a perspective of the era in which he blasted onto the scene. At the time nobody was doing anything remotely close to what he did. He was really the first person to bring the electric guitar to the forefront in such a big way. I personally don't love all of his stuff but his cover of Watctower gives me chills every single time I hear it. I think he spawned a revolution in technique diversity that can get overlooked when just talking about him as a pure artist. I think his presence inspired a huge interest in guitar experimentation. That's what makes him great.
FretDancer69
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Feb 18 2007, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry, but how is this anything special? huh.gif

I'm not a big Hendrix fan, admittedly, but even this has to be low on his standards.

What?

i cant watch the video? i dont have a clue whats going on.... huh.gif
Rob_g
You gotta look at Hendrix diffrently.

Its weird but you just gotta feal it, like when you listen to electric ladyland/little wing/bold as love its the most beutiful music ever and you can tell how Hendrix was fealing at the time.

I dont even know how to really explain it, but he is defintitly like no other guitar player.
buckjones
You don't need to like Hendrix or his music but you do have to respect what he did for guitar playing...

Try to name somebody before him that had that radical of a playing style for that time and I bet you can't do it.

And again it is only an opinion. biggrin.gif
Bondy
Hendrix never played his stuff cleanly he did not mind if he hit wrong notes but to all those guys who say hes is overrated u need to take another look this man was an inovator of guitar and was way ahead of his time and a lot of guitarist that came after him just took his work to the next level i personly have seen a lot of people try to copy hendrix who claim that he was overrated but cant play his songs
Ivan Milenkovic
In my oppinion Hendrix was trully a great music legend. I dont think that he really was a technical virtuoso, but that surely don`t make him a less of a guitar player. Btw his technique was extraordinary and flawless for the time when he lived - the end of the 60ies. I don`t think that we can compare him to todays guitar player because they all learned from him and build their style on his among others. I don`t want to discuss his great legacy cause everybody knows it. I being a great fan of his and wathced a lot of documentaries and live shows can say that he didn`t performa too well live because e was always heavily on LSD and other drugs. He pushed the limits yeah, but he also pushed the limits in music as well, and we today can only thank him for that. I have many more things to say about this legend but i just dont have to, I think that more people think of him as a legend than any other guitar player in the world and that is surely enough.
MickeM
Ther are so sooo sooooo SOOOOOOO many guitarists influenced by Hendrix so he surely meant a lot in developing the music we play today.

And the fact someone even have to state that "he was not good" is in itself proof of how great he actually was and still is. If he wasn't he'd been forgotten already and would not be mentioned here at GMC today, right?

I'm not a big fan myself bit I appreciate his contribution.
Chris Evans
Yea I think this one has been around before?

I`m not a Hendrix fan either, but for his day he was incredible, he`s been a huge influence for so many guitarists today, how many of them would be around if it wasnt for him breaking the boundaries. smile.gif
MickeM
QUOTE (Smells @ Dec 11 2007, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea I think this one has been around before?

Yes it has. And if it isn't about Hendrix it's Yngwie, it's just like flame baits these subjects. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.