Weekly assignment 2:Technique and theory workoutLessons to practice:
Further extend technique by playing a new set of exercises this week and being able to play faster.(bpm). Learn and understand theory about intervals.Purpose :
Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills. Learn a basic theory topic - intervals. You really need to understand them well for future progress.Instructions for technique exercises:
Start tempo: 60 bpm
Target tempo: 120 bpm
Time to practice: 30 minutes daily
You should start by playing quarter notes (meaning one note per metronome click). After you successfully master the tempo of 120bpm (in quarter notes) switch to playing 8th notes (meaning 2 notes per metronome click). You need to play each exercise continuously over whole fretboard. In practice that means - you want to start an exercise on 1st fret, do the exercise ascending and descending and once you finish the pattern immediately move the whole thing one half step higher starting now on 2nd fret and move up the neck that way. For successful practice you need to be able to get to the 12th fret without mistakes on each tempo you practice on.Rules of the practice:
1. Fretting hand will be fretting 1 finger per fret. You fretting hand thumb should be behind the neck - giving support.
2. Picking hand will be doing alternate picking. When picking notes alternate strictly between index and middle finger. Keep alternating even when changing strings you are playing on. Playing two notes in a row with a same finger is considered as a mistake when doing this kind of practice.
3. Picking hand thumb should be anchored on a "string above" the one you are playing on. If you are playing on E string, rest the thumb on the pickup. If you are playing on G string rest the thumb on D string - you get the concept.
4. Do not go to a higher tempo until you are comfortable on the previous one regarding all aspects mentioned.
5. Making mistake in alternating, fingerings or thumb positioning will restart your exercise. Pay attention to ALL the points mentioned. Do not go to a faster tempo if you can't maintain perfection in all three aspects (alternate,thumb position,fingering).Instructions for theory practice:
I want you to you read the material in my spoken video of the lesson about intervals. You also need to read the Andrew's thread about intervals as its more elaborated and covers more material. Try to understand the intervals, what they are, how are they built, how to name them etc....Try to get into the material and understand it, not just read it. It is a very important subject you need to master for your future progress.Requirements :
Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. Regarding technique exercises - which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
Regarding theory assignment, I want you to consider it your primary one! Go through all the materials (you don't need to actually learn my video lessons bass line, just the theory about intervals).By the end of week (friday) I will post a little intervals test for you to fill in and check your knowledge.Deadline to complete:
19th of September
Good luck and remember to post your questions and progress!