Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noskill's Mtp Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Emir Hot > MTP (Emir)
Pages: 1, 2
Emir Hot
Hi NoSkill

Finally we have it all set and ready to go smile.gif I hope we will both have some good experience with this. The first thing I would like to know is what you would like to learn and we can take it from there. Please write down your current playing abilities, post some recordings or a video (if you have) and specify which area you would like to focus on. That can be anything from theory, technique, some of my lessons - just whatever you want. I am looking forward to this and I hope that you will learn many useful things throughout this program.

All the best
Emir
NoSkill
Hi Emir,

I'm quite excited to get going with this MTP.

My playing abilities would be in the beginner/intermediate range. I've been flirting with the guitar for 25 years, but have never made any concerted effort to follow a pathway to proficient playing. I've mostly dabbled with live lessons and quit for variety of reasons, ranging from time issues to some lame excuse after another. Mostly due to being frustrated with exercises that I was unable to translate into making music. These were generally the fault of my lack of direction and having a low frustration threshold.

I studied theory in school with 3 years of music, but this was more than 20 years ago and I'm rusty...perhaps as rusty as the Titanic, so I need to do some reading.

I want to be able to play more melodic and technical leads. I have no aspirations to perform, but I have aspirations to be able to play and record music. My musical interests are varied from pop, to metal, to rock with progressive rock being the genre that I most listen to. I grew up listening to Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis. I also enjoyed listening to Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Kiss and Metallica. I'm currently enjoying some Neal Morse and bands like T-square and Casiopea.

As for playing styles, I would really like to be able to play country, rock, blues and shred. I know there is a variety of genre there, but I really enjoy playing music that I might not ordinarily listen to.

The neoclassical genre is very intriguing to me as it seems to have a heavy technical and theory aspects to it.

So, I want to increase my skill set. I would like, if it happens, to be able to increase my knowledge of guitar and composition, even if I hit a wall with playing abilities.

I guess, as disjointed as this sounds, I'm very open to explore as I am not married to any one idea/style/genre.

Here is my Wiki Page from GMC REC Program for examples of playing. They are, actually, fairly good examples of my playing. **shrug**

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Noskill

Now, in recording I tend to struggle with inconsistent bends and vibrato. In playing without the little evil red light, I still struggle with inconsistent bends, but that is improving I feel. I think my vibrato, however, when just playing is better than I am when I record. I do have trouble with vibrato with bends, worsening with full step or more bends.

The use of computers, headsets and DAW's has progressed my playing, in my opinion, considerably. I am able to spend more time enjoying the guitar through choosing a variety of video lessons and working with the computer in a "safe," environment. This is what has drawn me to GMC and this style of teaching.

I hope this is a start, but please, if you need me to be more specific let me know.

Thanks,

Tom
Emir Hot
Ok thanks for this helpful post. I will prepare some starting exercises for bending and vibrato to get us started. Check back here later and we'll take it from there smile.gif
Emir Hot
Hi

I have checked your videos. You have a very solid rhythm feel and that's a great thing. There is something about the control we could change. I suggest that we try my Robben Ford blues lesson for the first bigger goal. I can do a spoken video of the first couple of parts if you want.

For now I would like you to learn at least 5 licks from my Yngwie Malmsteen thread. This is good if you want to explore the neoclassical playing. Download GP file and some of the exercises. You can do video of these when you're ready but I want you to play with the metronome. Later we will make a backing track where you will use all these licks and make a solo out of them. In that part of MTP program we will talk about the recording techniques until you produce a decent sounding track. You will program midi drums yourself, bass guitar and record solo on top. Then we will mix it and master it. Let me know if you like this concept. Which DAW do you use? I have Sonar and Cubase. If you're using Reaper I will download it so we can work together. I will require you to send me the project files on email so I can check how you're progressing with the track.
NoSkill
I'll look at those lessons and thread this morning and get started.

As for the DAW, I've been working on a Mac, but I have a PC on this desk too so I can work in whatever environment is most efficient for this. As for the DAW, I'll get whatever you suggest and whatever makes it most efficient for us to work.
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Sep 6 2009, 03:27 PM) *
I'll look at those lessons and thread this morning and get started.

As for the DAW, I've been working on a Mac, but I have a PC on this desk too so I can work in whatever environment is most efficient for this. As for the DAW, I'll get whatever you suggest and whatever makes it most efficient for us to work.

Sonar would be the best as that's my favorite smile.gif
NoSkill
Okay...I'll try and run to the city to get it or order it online today. I'm working on the Robben Ford lesson this morning and spent some time with the first three YM licks. I'm noticing a bit of coordination trouble with alternating fingering between my ring and my pinkie in lick 2...feeling like I'm wearing oven mitts again...I'll keep hammering at it.
Emir Hot
Cool, we'll get to all those weak points you have. When you get Sonar and stuff we can start doing some recordings. Work on the lesson by then and those exercises. When you get some of it done post a video smile.gif What soundcard do you have?
NoSkill
I have the SB Audigy SE. I'll post video soon!
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Sep 6 2009, 08:55 PM) *
I have the SB Audigy SE. I'll post video soon!

Does that card use ASIO drivers? You need that to avoid latency when recording. I hope Sonar will do a good job with that card.
NoSkill
I have a firewire controller that I can use. I'm using amplitube now so I'm not tied to USB and a pod. That should take care of latency. From what I've read, anyway.

I was working on Santiago's collab for the last two days working on bending and vibrato, exercising with the YM licks and working through the dynamics of the first video of the RF lesson. I'm fighting with tone for Santiago's collab.

The RF lesson is coming good so far, but I'm just a short way into it. I just have to get used to a silly thing that is snagging me. In the third bar, after I play the triplet ending on G, I seem to stall and lose time moving to the F#, F, D part...my pinky won't move off the b string. I've been playing the next F with my ring finger...I wonder if this is a bad technique habit, or an acceptable compromise?
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Sep 7 2009, 04:38 PM) *
I have a firewire controller that I can use. I'm using amplitube now so I'm not tied to USB and a pod. That should take care of latency. From what I've read, anyway.

I was working on Santiago's collab for the last two days working on bending and vibrato, exercising with the YM licks and working through the dynamics of the first video of the RF lesson. I'm fighting with tone for Santiago's collab.

The RF lesson is coming good so far, but I'm just a short way into it. I just have to get used to a silly thing that is snagging me. In the third bar, after I play the triplet ending on G, I seem to stall and lose time moving to the F#, F, D part...my pinky won't move off the b string. I've been playing the next F with my ring finger...I wonder if this is a bad technique habit, or an acceptable compromise?

Take your time, do a video of at least first 8 bars when you feel comfortable then we can make corrections smile.gif
NoSkill
Quick update. I've mostly been working on the YM licks. It's been a busy week, but I have made some progress with them...I think.

I continue to work, cleaning them up, speeding up a couple of others. Me and Robben Ford aren't seeing eye to eye this week, but I'm going to beat him down tonight and tomorrow!

Cheers!
Emir Hot
This video shows a great stuff. Your posture is perfect. The second lick has a note on the 1st string as well, you missed that smile.gif
NoSkill
Whoops. rolleyes.gif Fixed now in my practice. Not a difficult addition, thanks for the heads up.
Emir Hot
Any updates?
NoSkill
Continuing to practice the licks. I shelved the Robben Ford lesson this week and will come back to it on the weekend. I have isolated my speed issue. I am having a lot of difficulty alternating my pinky and ring finger when fretting. I have slowed down some of the licks and am working on that. I was also stabbing the pick into the middle pickup when I started picking fast, more like a chicken head plucking in a barnyard. So I'm working on this issue as well. I'll have some video this weekend I hope. I corrected lick 2 but it's been dark anytime I'm playing so the video looks awful. the other licks that involve alternating the pinky and ring have stalled me but that is getting better as I drill them. I have another Strat at my work and when I have moments during the day, I play the licks, even for 3 minutes, working on the ones where I have to alternate those fingers...lick 3 for example.
Emir Hot
Thanks for the update. Take your time and post video when you're ready smile.gif
NoSkill
Update: Doing a burn in on the new pc tonight and tomorrow. Will get Sonar installed tomorrow night. I'm out of town for three days and back Sunday or Monday. I will have internet, but will not likely have a guitar. Everything is cruising along well.

Cheers!
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Sep 24 2009, 01:00 AM) *
Update: Doing a burn in on the new pc tonight and tomorrow. Will get Sonar installed tomorrow night. I'm out of town for three days and back Sunday or Monday. I will have internet, but will not likely have a guitar. Everything is cruising along well.

Cheers!

Cool smile.gif Let me know once you're ready and we'll move on.
NoSkill
Sonar installed.
NoSkill
I'm going to try and do a video of the first 12 bars of the Robben Ford lesson right now. I've been working on it for a few days. I feel that some of the other work I've been doing has helped with my dexterity a bit to not make it feel so awkward for me to play. Fingers crossed.
NoSkill
Here is the first 12 bars. There are some timing issues and the tone is not pleasing for me...however, I'm starting to get a a feel for the lesson. I'll work on the rest of it this week and get the timing down better.

NoSkill
Working out the entire RF lesson tonight. I have it complete at 90bpm and working on dynamics. There are a couple of wrong notes and some timing issues with the take above that are fixed now. I'll record what I have when it's at tempo. I have a better feel for the rhythm now that I am playing the entire piece through.
NoSkill
Working on timing. Playing needs tightening up but trying to get a better feel for the piece too. I have about 22 bars at tempo. Will try and record a better take tonight. Last couple of bars trips me a bit. I just have to get some timing issues down. I'll get it worked out. I have to add some dynamics as well as a couple of the vibrato's are missing in this take and the 1/4 bends could be clearer. Also, I'm missing some notes on some transitions, but I think it's closer to the lesson than before.

Emir Hot
Very good. The second video sounds much better. The guitar sound is also better. It can still be a bit more polished. Check this video it might help you with some stuff. I am just going through it the way I usually play so it might be helpful.

Tomorrow I am leaving for a whole week and back on the next Monday.

NoSkill
Thanks, Emir. The explanation of those minor third bends helps a ton. Also the cutting the notes. I did notice I was bending back. I'll quit that. I was happier with the tone in the second video, but I'll work on that a bit too as it's still not very good. Thanks for taking the time to do that video. I'll get to work with those specific things. Oh, also, thanks for the explanation on the triplet feel for the vibrato...I'll try to get a feel for that as well.

Cheers.
Emir Hot
You are welcome smile.gif I am glad you got all those things I was pointing out. See you in a week.
NoSkill
I'm going to work on the major scale positions and the, now famous, box while you're gone. If that's not derailing any other plans. I went through it today. I'll record something while you're away. Have a safe trip.
NoSkill
The progress on the RF lesson. There are some dynamics that I don't seem to play each time I play it. I make tiny mistakes off-lesson each time I play it. However, here is the progress. In this take, I'm not taking fully into account the elements that you mentioned in the video. I play them sometimes, but not all times and not all in this take. I'm trying to get a feel for the piece, but I feel that I'm pressing frets and picking strings, but not necessarily feeling it.

Working on trying to tighten up and speed up some YM licks, today. Also, I've been playing that CAGED box, but haven't recorded it. I invariably flub it at some point, but I'll try and do a video today as well.
NoSkill
Major scale positions...could have been cleaner. I spent some time with that box but I'm not embarrassed to say, I'm confused by it. I watched Dexxter's video and was even more confused. I may need a Kindergarten lecture on that one.

Emir Hot
Hi. I am back now.

Robben Ford lesson needs more work. You're not bending that minor 3rd at all. Good that you know the whole thing but now it's time for polishing.

According to the new MTP rules I need to give you assignment every week.

Major scale boxes sound very good. What is that you don't understand from Dexxter's or my video? Feel free to ask anything. We are playing G major in 5 positions. So now that you learned those boxes we can play that scale in some other keys. Before we get to key changes I would you to play the same thing but play in this order (1, 3, 2, 4 then 2, 4, 3, 5 etc... and back). I am talking about the notes in order. Dexxter did that one before so you can see his video. This pattern is great for fretboard skills. So we can later start using it in solos.
NoSkill
Welcome back!

I just watched Dexxter's video, I hadn't noticed you did one of explanation. I will review that one and see if am still confused after that.

The RF lesson: I will polish it up. Not playing that bend is just silly on my part. No excuse.

I'll start with the fingering order on the major scale positions today.

Thanks, man.
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Oct 16 2009, 02:30 PM) *
Welcome back!

I just watched Dexxter's video, I hadn't noticed you did one of explanation. I will review that one and see if am still confused after that.

The RF lesson: I will polish it up. Not playing that bend is just silly on my part. No excuse.

I'll start with the fingering order on the major scale positions today.

Thanks, man.

Thanks man. Can you make it on Sunday so I can review it, mark it and we can move on? This is the video explaining the second pattern but only the first 2 positions. You can figure out the other 3.

NoSkill
So, clear the RF lesson for Sunday? That shouldn't be a problem.

The fingering variations of the major scale positions is clear. I'll work on that readily.
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Oct 16 2009, 03:19 PM) *
So, clear the RF lesson for Sunday? That shouldn't be a problem.

The fingering variations of the major scale positions is clear. I'll work on that readily.

Cool smile.gif
Emir Hot
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 16 2009, 03:26 PM) *
Cool smile.gif

Please check the new assigmnet thread.
NoSkill
Update for Monday:

Okay. I have some takes to record. I'm not really happy with my tone in the RF lesson, but I'm working on that a bit more. I think I'm playing all the elements of it now so hopefully tonight will produce a take to critique.

The major scale positions are a lock. I'm quite comfortable with them now, and can play them cleanly ascending and descending approaching 100bpm.

The alternate fingerings are coming along faster than I thought they would. An odd thing, I find, I can play the ascending alternate fingerings literally twice as fast, cleanly, as the descending. No matter how fast I get the descending. **shrug** I will not have a problem getting a take for you by weeks end.

Sonar is installed, but I haven't played with it at all.
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Oct 20 2009, 02:50 PM) *
Update for Monday:

Okay. I have some takes to record. I'm not really happy with my tone in the RF lesson, but I'm working on that a bit more. I think I'm playing all the elements of it now so hopefully tonight will produce a take to critique.

The major scale positions are a lock. I'm quite comfortable with them now, and can play them cleanly ascending and descending approaching 100bpm.

The alternate fingerings are coming along faster than I thought they would. An odd thing, I find, I can play the ascending alternate fingerings literally twice as fast, cleanly, as the descending. No matter how fast I get the descending. **shrug** I will not have a problem getting a take for you by weeks end.

Sonar is installed, but I haven't played with it at all.

Thanks for the update smile.gif Try to learn how to use Sonar and ask if you need anything. We will need that thing. Cheers.
NoSkill
Hoping to record Sunday. My Saturday practice window was taken up by illness. No excuses, but, just wasn't able to play.
NoSkill
Okay, here's my Robben Ford Assignment Submission: I no longer have any objectivity on this. I hear it in my sleep. I hear it at traffic lights. I hear it when people are speaking to me. This lesson is more burned into my brain with an incredible problem recording it clean. Each take has something else that I'm upset with. This, appears, to have the elements from the lesson that I've found to be important. The ill defined notes at the end are unfortunate.

Emir Hot
I have just left my comment in the assignment thread smile.gif
NoSkill
Welcome back. I hope you have had time to deal with your situation back home. I reviewed the assignment thread and will do videos for that this week. I can record a basic guitar track in Sonar, but that's about it. I can see how to use my amp modeling. Other than that...I've been mostly just been doing collabs and not paying attention to this other stuff too much. I'll revisit it tonight to get a better handle on basic usage.
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Nov 15 2009, 09:37 PM) *
Welcome back. I hope you have had time to deal with your situation back home. I reviewed the assignment thread and will do videos for that this week. I can record a basic guitar track in Sonar, but that's about it. I can see how to use my amp modeling. Other than that...I've been mostly just been doing collabs and not paying attention to this other stuff too much. I'll revisit it tonight to get a better handle on basic usage.

Ok, thanks for the update. Ask here if you have any trouble with recording.
NoSkill
FYI - The Collabs I've been doing while you were away:

http://www.box.net/shared/n1a0yekaxc - Jonathan Burgos Lukather Collab
http://www.box.net/shared/jl47rcm41v - Gabriel's Frusciante Collab
http://www.box.net/shared/bs70dt2t5b - Ivan's Smooth Latin Collab

I just wanted to show that I was up to something while you were away.

Again, welcome back.
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Nov 16 2009, 01:02 AM) *
FYI - The Collabs I've been doing while you were away:

http://www.box.net/shared/n1a0yekaxc - Jonathan Burgos Lukather Collab
http://www.box.net/shared/jl47rcm41v - Gabriel's Frusciante Collab
http://www.box.net/shared/bs70dt2t5b - Ivan's Smooth Latin Collab

I just wanted to show that I was up to something while you were away.

Again, welcome back.

I've heard all of these. Nice work. Maybe too much effect and guitar is mixed a bit too far on the back but your solos are good. I will do a new collab soon so feel free to join smile.gif
NoSkill
Yeah, I would agree with the effect and mix. I'm experimenting with the Amplitube, and perhaps getting carried away. I've been using a new guitar for the last month or so, so some of the tones I was experimenting with are not working as well. the TB12 and Hotrails in this Jackson are quite a bit different than the Fender I was playing.

Mixing and tone are certainly a weakness and source of frustrations as well, but I'm learning a bit more all the time. I think when the tracks got converted to MP3 the mix isn't the same as when I bounce the track. This too, will require more experimentation.

Admittedly, I haven't spent as much time learning the programs I have bought, so I'm not making very good use of them. So much to learn. smile.gif

Thanks for the comments.
Emir Hot
Hi

I have just replied on your assignment thread and left the new task. I hope you won't have trouble with it. Are you feeling more comfortable with the recording software so far? Ask if you need any help.

Cheers
NoSkill
My assignment is coming along fine. I produced a video for 8th's and 16th's but when I looked, I'm not alternate picking consistently. Because of that, I will focus on that component to make the videos consistently alternate picking. I tend to quit if I slide to another pattern, or make a direction change. It's usually two or three strokes, but I'll have it nailed by Sunday.

As far as REC lessons, I hadn't really been working on anything other than the Robben Ford Lesson. I'll spend a few days with the Quarterworlds of Fantasia lesson. If I can refine it for REC, I'll submit that before the end of the month. If not, I'll do the Robben Ford lesson, if that is acceptable.

Tom
Emir Hot
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Nov 27 2009, 02:40 PM) *
My assignment is coming along fine. I produced a video for 8th's and 16th's but when I looked, I'm not alternate picking consistently. Because of that, I will focus on that component to make the videos consistently alternate picking. I tend to quit if I slide to another pattern, or make a direction change. It's usually two or three strokes, but I'll have it nailed by Sunday.

As far as REC lessons, I hadn't really been working on anything other than the Robben Ford Lesson. I'll spend a few days with the Quarterworlds of Fantasia lesson. If I can refine it for REC, I'll submit that before the end of the month. If not, I'll do the Robben Ford lesson, if that is acceptable.

Tom

Well any lesson for REC would work I guess. Doesn't even have to be my lesson. Thanks for the update anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.