Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zen's November Mtp Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Pedja Simovic > MTP (Pedja)
Pedja Simovic
Hello Zen!

Welcome to your MTP program.
I hope you will enjoy the assignments as much as I will enjoy working with you man.
For your 1st assignment this month, I have chosen to start some theory and harmony with you. Since you mentioned theory and harmony as one of your weakest points it would be wise to start working on it from the very beginning. Please let me know if you find the assignment too difficult or too easy for that matter, we shall change the pace as we go along.

1st assignment is due on November 10th (a week from today).

Theory reading :

- I would like you to read my posts from links provided below.
- Once you read it all, memorize 3 and 4 part harmony in C major scale.
- Learn to apply scale degrees rather then numbers ( I in C major is C, IV in C is F etc).
- Write out in this thread all notes for 3 and 4 part harmony in C major scale.

Here are the links:

Major scale harmony and chord functions

Cadences

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja
zen
Thanks Pedja,

Yes, it was a bit hard as i have lots of gaps in the knowledge. I went and read Andrew's degrees of scale and triad posts and now i am ok with the major scale harmony and chord functions smile.gif Now starting to read the cadences..

There is a lot of grasp and retain at first but will definitely get there ..

Attached is somethin i drafted from your 1st link that I plan to stick above my desk till it gets engraved in my head.

Sorry, not a rockin start but will try and catch up..

Zen
zen
3 part/note/triadic type harmony in C Major scale

I,IV,V scale degrees ===== Major chords
II,III,VI scale degrees ==== Minor chords
VII scale degree ======== Diminished chord

Hence,

I ------- C Major --------C E G ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with root C)
II------- D Minor --------D F A ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with note D)
III------ E Minor -------- E G B ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with note E)
IV------- F Major --------F A C ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with note F)
V-------- G Major ------- G B D ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with note G)
VI------- A Minor ------- A C E ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with note A)
VII------ B Diminished - B D F ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with note B )
VIII----- C Major -------C E G ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with root C)

4 part/note type harmony in C Major scale

I,IV scale degrees ===== Major 7 chords
II,III,VI scale degrees == Minor 7 chords
V scale degree ======= Dominant 7 chord (blues chord)
VII scale degree ====== Minor7b5 chord

Hence,

I-------- C Major 7 -------- C E G B ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with root C)
II------- D Minor 7 -------- D F A C ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with note D)
III------ E Minor 7 --------- E G B D ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with note E)
IV------- F Major 7 -------- F A C E ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with note F)
V-------- G Dominant 7 --- G B D F ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with note G)
VI------- A Minor 7 -------- A C E G ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with note A)
VII------ B Minor 7b5 ----- B D F A ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with note B )
VIII----- C Major 7 -------- C E G B ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with note C)

Ok, IF i have got the concept, then this should be it....
memorizing it and playing is a completely different story altogether laugh.gif
... I would still need a pen and paper sad.gif

Yesterday, i didnt know what degrees are and some of the other terms too smile.gif
.. Boy, i do love shamefully admitting my weaknesses.. laugh.gif

- Any tips on memorizing it?

Let me process this and go through it again and again in my head, hopefully it will get better..

Looking forward in hearing from you.
zen
Ok, i already see some mistakes in the 7th's .. im reading up on intervals .. I havent considered minor 7ths correctly ..
So, above only the notes of the Major 7th chords would be correct ,, not the minor 7 or dominant...

Working on it ... reverse engineering ... trying to learn about absolute intervals

Ok, another attempt

3 part/note/triadic type harmony in C Major scale

I,IV,V scale degrees ======= Major chords
II,III,VI scale degrees ====== Minor chords
VII scale degree ========== Diminished chord

Hence,

I ------- C Major --------C E G ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with root C)
II------- D Minor --------D E A ( 1,3minor,5 of the C major scale starting with note D)
III------ E Minor ------- E F B ( 1,3minor,5 of the C major scale starting with note E)
IV------- F Major --------F A C ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with note F)
V-------- G Major -------G B D ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with note G)
VI------- A Minor ------ A B E ( 1,3minor,5 of the C major scale starting with note A)
VII------ B Diminished - B D F ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with note B ) - not sure about this one
? VII------ B Diminished - B Db F???
VIII----- C Major ------- C E G ( 1,3,5 of the C major scale starting with root C)

4 part/note type harmony in C Major scale

I,IV scale degrees ======= Major 7 chords
II,III,VI scale degrees == Minor 7 chords
V scale degree =========== Dominant 7 chord (blues chord)
VII scale degree ========= Minor7b5 chord

Hence,

I-------- C Major 7 ------ C E G B ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with root C)
II------- D Minor 7 ------ D E A B ( 1,3minor,5,7minor of the C major scale starting with note D)
III------ E Minor 7 -------E Gb B Db ( 1,3minor,5,7minor of the C major scale starting with note E)
IV------- F Major 7 ------F A C E ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with note F)
V-------- G Dominant 7- G B D E ( 1,3,5,7minor of the C major scale starting with note G)
VI------- A Minor 7 ------A B E Gb ( 1,3minor,5,7minor of the C major scale starting with note A)
VII------ B Minor 7b5 ---B Db F Ab ( 1,3minor,5,7minor of the C major scale starting with note D) - not sure about this
VIII----- C Major 7 ----- C E G B ( 1,3,5,7 of the C major scale starting with note C)
zen
Actually i think i did it correctly the very first time ... laugh.gif but it's good that i questioned and tried to mess it up .. Good learning experience

Will wait for you to respond.
Pedja Simovic
Zen you did fantastic!
Unfortunately I have to close this thread for November. We can continue working in December. Read about it HERE please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.