Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Duendezillo's November Mtp Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Pedja Simovic > MTP (Pedja)
Pedja Simovic
Angel welcome to your November thread.

We have to cover 4 weekly assignments and one REC submission in this month. Since one week is passed in this month, we will have to squeeze in 2 assignments in one week in order to finish everything!

Here are your first two assignments for November! Deadline for these is 14th of November.

Assignment 1 :

- Record Triads in C major scale part 2 lesson (audio is fine but video would be great).
- You can find the actual lesson HERE
- I am providing you backing track for it as we can use this one for REC submission as well !
- Post your recording in this thread here.

Assignment 2 :

- Theory and Harmony test, complete answers to 10 questions bellow :

1) C is V in what major scale?
2) If G is I what is III ?
3) If A min is III what is V?
4) If F is IV what is I?
5) If E diminished is VII what is I?
6) If D is V what is II ?
7) If B diminished is VII what is III?
8) If C min is III what is II?
9) If D min is VI what is V?
10) If G min is II what is I?

If you are unsure what the answers are to those questions, please read my post from the link bellow!

- LINK

Let me know if you have any extra questions, I will be happy to respond to them.

Pedja
duendezillo
Ok, here we go!
I'll look at the new assignments now...
Thanks Pedja,

Angel
Pedja Simovic
Great Angel. Let me know if you need any help with them!
duendezillo
Hi Pedja,
Here are the answers for the theory and Harmony test. I found out by looking at the fretboard mostly and/or counting up/down the diatonic scale.
Tell me if there is any mistake.

1. F
2. B
3. C
4. C
5. F
6. Am
7. Em
8. Bm
9. C
10. F

Regarding C major triads part 2, I'm doing well and soon you'll have some vids on this post.
wink.gif

Angel
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (duendezillo @ Nov 10 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pedja,
Here are the answers for the theory and Harmony test. I found out by looking at the fretboard mostly and/or counting up/down the diatonic scale.
Tell me if there is any mistake.

1. F
2. B
3. C
4. C
5. F
6. Am
7. Em
8. Bm
9. C
10. F

Regarding C major triads part 2, I'm doing well and soon you'll have some vids on this post.
wink.gif

Angel

Some very good answers Angel. There are however mistakes in there smile.gif

1) Correct. C is V in F major scale. F major scale however has Bb instead of B note. Formula for any major scale is W W H W W W H. W= whole step , H = half step.
2) Partially correct. G is I hence G major scale, and III is then B minor not just regular B.That is what I was looking for.
3) Correct C is V if A min is III.
4) Excellent. F is IV in C major or C major is I if F is IV.
5) Excellent. E diminished is VII so all you have to do is go up a half step and find your I which you did.
6) Correct A min and D make up II V pattern.
7) Excellent. B diminshed is VII, C is I and on every III scale degree is minor chord so C D E we get E minor chord.
8) Not correct. If C min is III what is I? You need to go down two whole steps to find I and then write out the notes of that major scale using W W H W W W H (w= whole h= half step) formula.
9) Excellent. D minor is VI and V is only whole step away from VI so you went down a whole step and got C. On V scale degree in major scale we always get major chord. Excellent.
10) Excellent. If G min is II you go down a whole step to find your I chord which you did.

So 2 out of 10 wrong or 8 correct depends which way you want to look at it. Try to correct the mistakes, in the meanwhile get working on the 2nd assignment smile.gif
duendezillo
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 10 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some very good answers Angel. There are however mistakes in there smile.gif

1) Correct. C is V in F major scale. F major scale however has Bb instead of B note. Formula for any major scale is W W H W W W H. W= whole step , H = half step.
2) Partially correct. G is I hence G major scale, and III is then B minor not just regular B.That is what I was looking for.
3) Correct C is V if A min is III.
4) Excellent. F is IV in C major or C major is I if F is IV.
5) Excellent. E diminished is VII so all you have to do is go up a half step and find your I which you did.
6) Correct A min and D make up II V pattern.
7) Excellent. B diminshed is VII, C is I and on every III scale degree is minor chord so C D E we get E minor chord.
8) Not correct. If C min is III what is I? You need to go down two whole steps to find I and then write out the notes of that major scale using W W H W W W H (w= whole h= half step) formula.
9) Excellent. D minor is VI and V is only whole step away from VI so you went down a whole step and got C. On V scale degree in major scale we always get major chord. Excellent.
10) Excellent. If G min is II you go down a whole step to find your I chord which you did.

So 2 out of 10 wrong or 8 correct depends which way you want to look at it. Try to correct the mistakes, in the meanwhile get working on the 2nd assignment smile.gif

Hi Pedja,
You wrote If C min is III what is I? instead of asking what is II, which was the real question above. I just realized. But, I made a mistake anyway.
So,

If C min is III, I is G#...and II is A#m

Tell me if i'm wrong please...
Thanks

Angel
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (duendezillo @ Nov 10 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pedja,
You wrote If C min is III what is I? instead of asking what is II, which was the real question above. I just realized. But, I made a mistake anyway.
So,

If C min is III, I is G#...and II is A#m

Tell me if i'm wrong please...
Thanks

Angel

Hi Angel,

The answer is still wrong unfortunately. In any major scale you need to have 7 different notes. That means that if C is III , II has to be some sort of B and I has to be some sort of A same way IV has to be some sort of D V some sort of E etc
You get the idea

So you are on the right path but as you see G# A# and then C would be omitting B before C and therefore that is incorrect. I am sure you will work out the answer now wink.gif
duendezillo
Thanks Pedja!
Working on it....
wink.gif
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (duendezillo @ Nov 11 2009, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Pedja!
Working on it....
wink.gif

Awesome, look forward to results!
duendezillo
I: Ab (G#)
II: Bbm (A#m)
III: Cm

I think I got the idea...

Angel
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (duendezillo @ Nov 12 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I: Ab (G#)
II: Bbm (A#m)
III: Cm

I think I got the idea...

Angel

Perfect!
The letters that are not in parenthesis are correct well done. Look forward to your 1st assignment smile.gif
Pedja Simovic
By the way Angel I can't post your next assignment before you finish the ones you have left!
Pedja Simovic
Angel how is Triads lesson going ? Let me know if you need some help man.
duendezillo
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 15 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Angel how is Triads lesson going ? Let me know if you need some help man.

Excuuuuuse so much for the delay. But I haven't touched my computer in the entire weekend...As a matter of fact, I had the triad lesson in my bag days ago but I could't record it until today. So...here it is. Excuse me also for the quality of the audio/video. I wanted to edit it well but too much for me now...

Thanks for your interest and support Pedja! Hope you like it,

Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (duendezillo @ Nov 15 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excuuuuuse so much for the delay. But I haven't touched my computer in the entire weekend...As a matter of fact, I had the triad lesson in my bag days ago but I could't record it until today. So...here it is. Excuse me also for the quality of the audio/video. I wanted to edit it well but too much for me now...

Thanks for your interest and support Pedja! Hope you like it,

Awesome work Angelo! Thank you for submitting the video. I think you can submit it for REC program by the end of month as well which will leave us with 2 assignments only until the end of the month.
One side thing I would like to recommend is play lowest note with thumb and rest with I and M (index and middle fingers). This is good as well because I left fingerings optional for everybody to interpret their own way.
duendezillo
Hi Pedja,
You were right about the fingering. I was't paying attention! I'll fix it in the future
Thanks,
wink.gif
Angel
Pedja Simovic
Angel we now move on onto your 3rd assignment.

Assignment 3 :

- Record Triads in C major scale part 3 lesson (audio is fine but video would be great).
- You can find the actual lesson HERE
- I am providing you backing track for it as we can use this one for REC submission as well !
- Post your recording in this thread here.

Deadline for this assignment is 23rd of November.

Pedja Simovic
Angel 2 more days until the due date for assignment. Will you be able to do it by deadline ? Let me know if you need any help.
duendezillo
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 22 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Angel 2 more days until the due date for assignment. Will you be able to do it by deadline ? Let me know if you need any help.

Yes!
I'll record it today. I had a terrible 'hang over type' weekend
Pedja Simovic
Ok I look forward to it Angel.
duendezillo
Hi Pedja,

Here is the video of C major triads part III...
I had some problems with the editing, so I just recorded the triads without the backingtrack.
Is there any way that you pass me the track in mp3...because I could use it to edit a better video with Vegas. The fact is that the microphone of my webcam seems to be dead...or at least plenty of dust and sh...

Tell me what you think!

Pedja Simovic
Really great work Angel. I like it a lot, especially the sound you are getting through your strat!

I will post your last assignment today so stay tuned!
Pedja Simovic
Here is your 4th assignment and REC for this month Angel.

Assignment 4 :

1) G is V in what major scale?
2) If F is I what is III ?
3) If D min is III what is V?
4) If C is IV what is I?
5) If B diminished is VII what is I?
6) If F# is V what is II ?
7) If D# diminished is VII what is III?
8) If Bb min is III what is II?
9) If C min is VI what is V?
10) If C# min is II what is I?

REC assignment :

- Submit Triads in major scale part 2 video for REC grading.

You already did this one in your weekly assignment for November so all you have to do is submit the link of it now on the REC board.

Try to do these asap as the end of month is very near!

Pedja
duendezillo
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 27 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is your 4th assignment and REC for this month Angel.

Assignment 4 :

1) G is V in what major scale?
2) If F is I what is III ?
3) If D min is III what is V?
4) If C is IV what is I?
5) If B diminished is VII what is I?
6) If F# is V what is II ?
7) If D# diminished is VII what is III?
8) If Bb min is III what is II?
9) If C min is VI what is V?
10) If C# min is II what is I?

REC assignment :

- Submit Triads in major scale part 2 video for REC grading.

You already did this one in your weekly assignment for November so all you have to do is submit the link of it now on the REC board.

Try to do these asap as the end of month is very near!

Pedja

Hi Pedja,

Answers:

1. C
2. Am
3. F
4. G
5. C
6. C#m
7. G#m
8. Abm
9. Bbm
10.B

I just posted the video related with C major triads for grading in the REC program.
Thans a lot,

Angel
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (duendezillo @ Nov 30 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pedja,

Answers:

1. C
2. Am
3. F
4. G
5. C
6. C#m
7. G#m
8. Abm
9. Bbm
10.B

I just posted the video related with C major triads for grading in the REC program.
Thans a lot,

Angel

Hi Angel

9 out of 10 correct answers, very good work!
Check out number 9. V scale degree is what type of chord in major scale? You got the right note but not the right chord type wink.gif

I will go and check out your take now and grade it. You are all set for November my friend great work!
duendezillo
It's Major! (Bb)
Sorry....

I can't wait for the grades!!
Thanks for your support Pedja.
wink.gif

Angel

Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (duendezillo @ Nov 30 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's Major! (Bb)
Sorry....

I can't wait for the grades!!
Thanks for your support Pedja.
wink.gif

Angel

Excellent Angel. Well done man!

I don't use grading system with letters nor with percentages. The reason why I don't stick with these is every student can find some flaws in the system and may ask why did I give somebody 95% versus his/hers 90% or A- versus B+, then that leads to discouragement which is something I definitely don't like seeing with my students. My goal is always to motivate my students and get them to produce their (current) best results.
With your assignments so far you did very well Angel. You passed them all and that is the most important thing. If you go back and check out week by week work we covered, you will see that you had more trouble with technique based exercises rather then my chord lessons we covered. That shows that technique is area we have to put more emphasis on in future in order to level it with your finger style timing and chord knowledge we covered so far.
Overall I am very happy with what we have done so far. I look forward to our work in December and things that we will cover!
I will now lock this thread and open very soon December thread for you with your 1st assignment for this month.

Thank you Angelo and keep up the good work man!

Pedja
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.