Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rated Htr's December Mtp Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Pedja Simovic > MTP (Pedja)
Pedja Simovic
Hi Filipe!

We are starting officially now with MTP program. Very glad to have you in my group man. I have given you before theory and harmony assignment which you did great. I am just building on that foundation right now with this assignment. I have added 2 extra scales ( F and G major) that I would like you to write harmony just like you did for C major.
Here is your assignment, enjoy it and let me know if you got any questions!

Your 1st assignment for December is due week from today (10th of December)

Here is your assignment

Theory reading :

- I would like you to read my posts from links provided below.
- Once you read it all, memorize 3 and 4 part harmony in C major scale.
- Learn to apply scale degrees rather then numbers ( I in C major is C, IV in C is F etc).
- Write out in this thread all notes for 3 and 4 part harmony in C major as well as in F and G major scales.

Here are the links:

Major scale harmony and chord functions

Cadences

Let me know if you have any questions and if I could help in any way!

Pedja
Rated Htr
Thanks Pedja, like I did last time, I'll try doing a video, but can't do it today because of school work so will have to do it tomorrow or in the weekend smile.gif. Great to be on board again smile.gif
Pedja Simovic
Great stuff Filipe. If you are in no opportunity to do the video I will of course settle for the written work. I really appreciate the extra effort you are putting into it man. Look forward to your video!
Rated Htr
Ok, did my video...Badly, just gonna upload it for you to see it tongue.gif
Rated Htr
ok, here you go pedja, some difficulties in playing some chords. I did some cuts to save time in the videos and because it was not really necessary, the parts I mean.

I didn't check the videos, but I will eventually, so if you see any stupidity, please forgive me tongue.gif
Pedja Simovic
Thank you for the videos Filipe. They are very good and explain everything nicely. I would just correct you with B diminished chord in the 1st video. The voicing you are playing is not correct. Look into the notes and see what you can do. Just like you did great for G major, you can find 3 notes on the fretboard that fit that chord wink.gif
Rated Htr
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 7 2009, 09:29 AM) *
Thank you for the videos Filipe. They are very good and explain everything nicely. I would just correct you with B diminished chord in the 1st video. The voicing you are playing is not correct. Look into the notes and see what you can do. Just like you did great for G major, you can find 3 notes on the fretboard that fit that chord wink.gif

Thanks pedja, I will look into it smile.gif. I would just like to know your opinion. If you want me to continue the videos or prefer me to do some writing. Personally, I prefer to do videos because, not only do I test chord theory, I also test my explanation methods in case I want to teach someday and that way you'll know if I know it or not tongue.gif
Pedja Simovic
Filipe I would prefer if you did videos. It is much better that way in my opinion and like you said I could point out on certain explanations and approaches. So far you are doing great, keep up the good work man.
Rated Htr
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 7 2009, 09:57 AM) *
Filipe I would prefer if you did videos. It is much better that way in my opinion and like you said I could point out on certain explanations and approaches. So far you are doing great, keep up the good work man.

Cool smile.gif. When will you post my next assignment if I may ask? smile.gif
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 7 2009, 02:12 PM) *
Cool smile.gif. When will you post my next assignment if I may ask? smile.gif

Perhaps tomorrow! Now I have to leave for lunch then of to sound check and performance. I will be back tonight after 2am are even later... Expect it tomorrow most likely !
Rated Htr
Pedja just wanted to add, in case you didn't think about the assignment that it doesn't have to be legato, it can be AP or whatever if you think it will help me smile.gif
Pedja Simovic
Hey Filipe,

I was just checking your thread and about to upload your assignment. We will focus on alternate picking in your 2nd assignment. I want to see what is your comfort zone when it comes to these exercises and also how far you can take them.

2nd assignment is due on December 17th.

Your 2nd assignment is :

- Record each lick in 3 different tempos! Make sure tempos are at least 15-20 bpm difference.
- Try to show me your maximum tempo for these licks, I want you to push yourself here!
- Feel free to ask for more exercises if these are too easy for you!
- Upload your takes in this thread. Ideally I would like you to do videos, put them on Youtube and embed them here.

If you manage to do all the exercises before deadline, I will put more exercises here for you!

Rated Htr
Ok Pedja, I had to stop for some time to give space for ICMP Exams, but I'll give some time to this today smile.gif
Pedja Simovic
I understand Filipe no worries. Once you start doing these time will fly trust me. Let me know if you need any help with them !
Rated Htr
Hi Pedja, I lied to you, sorry... I actually took the time out from my study to do some GMC Collabs, I've been working on the exercises though, just haven't had the time to do a video, I'll try to see if I can fit them tomorrow...Crazy week I'm having wink.gif
Pedja Simovic
No need to lie man. I look forward to the videos wink.gif
Rated Htr
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 13 2009, 12:55 PM) *
No need to lie man. I look forward to the videos wink.gif

No man! Don't get it the wrong way, it was an expression, I didn't lie laugh.gif it just happened laugh.gif
Rated Htr
Warning! This video contains a stupid guitarist doing stupid faces while playing... laugh.gif

Note:
There is a part where I said string skipping but you understand what I meant

Pedja Simovic
Filipe great video man! You got some nice chops in there smile.gif
Regarding exercise 1, I noticed you are starting with an up stroke! Do it with down stroke, I am sure you will get the same results and tempos. Get working on other exercises now !
Rated Htr
Tomorrow I'll do the rest Pedja, today was exam day so I had to work on other stuff wink.gif
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 14 2009, 09:12 PM) *
Tomorrow I'll do the rest Pedja, today was exam day so I had to work on other stuff wink.gif

No problem Filipe take your time as long as you do it by deadline I am fine ! wink.gif
Rated Htr
Oh, the deadline is in a couple of days...Pedja, would you mind if I do it by audio right now?
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 14 2009, 11:20 PM) *
Oh, the deadline is in a couple of days...Pedja, would you mind if I do it by audio right now?

Sure Filipe go ahead wink.gif
Rated Htr
Ok Pedja, I'm able to post again thanks to Kris, awaiting the coments on my AP Takes smile.gif
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 20 2009, 01:13 PM) *
Ok Pedja, I'm able to post again thanks to Kris, awaiting the coments on my AP Takes smile.gif

Great to hear this Filipe. Your examples were great man. I will post your 3rd, 4th and REC today so stay tuned!
Rated Htr
Cool, hope to get them today so I can try doing some wink.gif
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 20 2009, 06:27 PM) *
Cool, hope to get them today so I can try doing some wink.gif

Here are the rest of your assignments Filipe!

3rd assignment :

- Theory and Harmony test, complete answers to 10 questions bellow :

1) C is V in what major scale?
2) If G is I what is III ?
3) If A min is III what is V?
4) If F is IV what is I?
5) If E diminished is VII what is I?
6) If D is V what is II ?
7) If B diminished is VII what is III?
8) If C min is III what is II?
9) If D min is VI what is V?
10) If G min is II what is I?

4th assignment and REC:

Triads in C major scale part 1

- Record video of Triads in C major scale part 1 lesson found HERE
- Use backing track provided in the thread when recording it.
- Try to apply left hand fingerings I applied but stick to right hand fingerings all the way.
- Upload video on Youtube and post it in this thread here.
- When you are done with video, embed it in REC board for grading!

Deadline for these assignments is 31st of December. I hope you can do them all by then. Let me know if I could help in any way Filipe!

Pedja

Rated Htr
Great, gonna try doing stuff now smile.gif
Rated Htr
Ok, I'm uploading the video for the third assignment, and will try to do the 4th after that smile.gif
Rated Htr
Pedja Simovic
Filipe video is marked as private. Make sure you make it available for public !
Rated Htr
Changed it...Sorry about that smile.gif
Rated Htr
Hey Pedja, they cancelled my flight so I'm gonna stay here in London after all so feel free to give me work once I did the triad stuff... smile.gif
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 20 2009, 08:31 PM) *

Filipe this is great!
I am very happy to have you study with me on this MTP program. I hope you are learning new things from this. I am waiting for your last assignment so we can finish with the requirements for this month, then I can give you extra work!!!
Rated Htr
Yes I am, i love the major scale harmony I learned and have been applying it smile.gif. I'm gonna do the triads tomorrow probably wink.gif
Rated Htr
hi Pedja. I've been practising the triads and even did a video that unfortunately had a shut down by the camera while I was playing. The Thing I'm noticing is that either my finger picking is to hard or my tone isn't good for this. It sounds to hard and crispy when I play and if I don't put really a great ammount of effort on the frets, some little noises are gonna pop up, tried on the strat and tele, same situation. Any hints?
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Dec 24 2009, 04:08 PM) *
hi Pedja. I've been practising the triads and even did a video that unfortunately had a shut down by the camera while I was playing. The Thing I'm noticing is that either my finger picking is to hard or my tone isn't good for this. It sounds to hard and crispy when I play and if I don't put really a great ammount of effort on the frets, some little noises are gonna pop up, tried on the strat and tele, same situation. Any hints?

Hi Filipe,

I am glad you are working on the triads man. I can suggest finding the balance by using lighter finger picking. Don't pluck strings to hard, practice at lower dynamic level and slowly things will get back to normal. Remember key here is to play in time all the chords and to get them to sound somewhat even!
Pedja Simovic
Hi Filipe,

How is 4th assignment coming along ? Look forward to video record and REC submission !
Pedja Simovic
Filipe still waiting for your REC of Triads lesson before we can move on to work in January !
Rated Htr
Hi Pedja. Sorry about this. As I told you before, I ended up coming to Portugal after all and arrived here and no pc was working. I didn't bring my laptop. I ended up going the rest of the days to some other place to celebrate the new year and now I fixed the pcs. Still I'm doing luthier stuff and fixing all of my guitars. I don't know how I'm gonna do this, so I ask you to bear with me a bit more.

Happy 2010.
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Jan 2 2010, 10:06 PM) *
Hi Pedja. Sorry about this. As I told you before, I ended up coming to Portugal after all and arrived here and no pc was working. I didn't bring my laptop. I ended up going the rest of the days to some other place to celebrate the new year and now I fixed the pcs. Still I'm doing luthier stuff and fixing all of my guitars. I don't know how I'm gonna do this, so I ask you to bear with me a bit more.

Happy 2010.

Happy new year Filipe!
No worries, I understand man. As soon as you get to it I know you will do it wink.gif Until then lets hope for the best. If you could finish everything by 7th of January that would be ideal. That way I could squeeze 2 assignments in one week for you and then we can progress further. Let me know how situation develops man.
Rated Htr
Pedja, it is with great sadness that I say this but I'm going to cancel my subscription with GMC. I can still hang out in the forums but dued to the part time job, school, bands and practise I have no time for MTP and I don't wanna be one of those lousy students that only does something once in a while. Thanks for everything, I hope you understand and find someone to fill my gap if possible.
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Jan 12 2010, 01:30 AM) *
Pedja, it is with great sadness that I say this but I'm going to cancel my subscription with GMC. I can still hang out in the forums but dued to the part time job, school, bands and practise I have no time for MTP and I don't wanna be one of those lousy students that only does something once in a while. Thanks for everything, I hope you understand and find someone to fill my gap if possible.

Hi Filipe,
This is very sad news. I hope that you will change your mind and find time for it. I am always aiming to fit everybody's needs here. Even if you have couple of hours a week that should be enough to complete one weekly assignment. If you ever decide to continue let me know. I will unpin this thread and will pin it back if you decide to continue.
Thank you Filipe !
Rated Htr
hi pedja, was only able to come to the forum now. Well, I do have some hours on saturday, but do you think that's enough?
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Jan 16 2010, 12:45 PM) *
hi pedja, was only able to come to the forum now. Well, I do have some hours on saturday, but do you think that's enough?

Hi Filipe,

Assignment shouldn't take more than 2 hours to complete. Thats the way I set up my assignments so that everybody could complete them. See what you can do today from remaining work in December man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.