Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playaxeman's February Mtp Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Pedja Simovic > MTP (Pedja)
Pedja Simovic
Hi Robert,

We continue now with our work for February. For first 2 assignments I have decided to continue with superimposing with minor pentatonics only this time you will have to read the thread about major chords and record some superimposing with minor pentatonics over major type chords.

Here is your 1st and 2nd assignment

1st assignment :

- Read Superimposing with Minor Pentatonics over Major type chords post HERE
- After reading the whole thing with related link posts, think about choosing one chord and one approach you will use for recording!

2nd assignment :

- After you have chosen your approach, record a backing track with that chord and on top of that record yourself soloing with 1 or all 3 minor pentatonics corresponding with that mode!

Let me give you an example here. Lets say that you have chosen C major as your chord. Now you also chose C major to be treated as I (Ionian sounding). In that case you should play minor pentatonics from C major scale ( D ,E and A minor pentatonics) over C major chord in the background. 4th assignment asks you only to pick 1 but it also allows you to use all 3 pentatonics if you want to.
Backing track doesn't have to be anything fancy for this purpose. Just guitar playing the chord will do, if you want to add bass and drums to that to make it sound tighter go ahead!

Deadline for first two assignments is 14th of February.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pedja
playaxeman
Hi Pedja

Ok will work on this.
Pedja Simovic
Ok Robert, let me know if you got any questions !
playaxeman
Hello Pedja

I will pick the F major Chord

Which means I will use as minor pentatonic:
II = G minor pentatonic
III = A minor pentatonic
VI = D minor pentatonic

Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Feb 8 2010, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Pedja

I will pick the F major Chord

Which means I will use as minor pentatonic:
II = G minor pentatonic
III = A minor pentatonic
VI = D minor pentatonic

Hello Robert,

You will try to do F Ionian in the case above, correct?
playaxeman
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Feb 8 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Robert,

You will try to do F Ionian in the case above, correct?

Hello Pedja

Yes Fmaj in the First degree. (I)

So the minors are on II, III en VI (Gm, Am, Dm)

Cheers
Robert
Pedja Simovic
Great Robert, look forward to it!
playaxeman
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Feb 9 2010, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great Robert, look forward to it!

Hi pedja

It is rather difficult though, more difficult that I though.

I wanted to play some kinda theme but wasn't really the case.

So here is my first take. Click to view attachment

Will try do another one to see if I make some progression.

Do you have some tips how to build a main theme around this F maj chord?
- how to find the strong notes?
- how to break out of 1 box position and still play a good melody?

Cheers
Robert
playaxeman
Hi Pedja

Didn't have had any time to do another recording.

So there is just one recording
Pedja Simovic
Robert we continue with your remaining assignments for February. We have 3rd, 4th and REC assignment to cover.

3rd assignment and REC :

- Record Triads in a major scale series part 3 lesson found HERE
- Once you are done with video recording, upload it in REC part of forum for grading. Make sure that you include voting pool.

4th assignment :

- Record backing track using two random chords!
- Chords could have the same quality (two major chords for example) or different quality ( minor and then major chord).
- Chords don't have to be diatonic ( in other words you could record C and Eb major chords in backing track!)
- Over these chords, solo using superimposing with minor pentatonics!
- Once you recorded your solo, upload it in this thread.

For example... I choose to record two chords that have same quality, major chords. First chord is C major while second is Eb major. Duration is the same for both of the chords. Now what I need to do is decide what I want my C major and Eb major to sound like. I decide that I want C major to sound like Ionian, so I pick E minor pentatonic to solo over. In other case I choose my Eb major to sound like Mixolyidian, so I pick Bb minor pentatonic to superimpose over it. Now I record a solo using E minor and Bb minor pentatonics over C major and Eb major chords. The duration of solo is your choice!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Deadline for these assignments is 28th of February !

Pedja
playaxeman
Hello Pedja,

Ok gonna worke on this.

Probably next week I have to work overdue so I hope I will be able to get this done the 28 feb. We will see.

Cheers
Robert
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Feb 19 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Pedja,

Ok gonna worke on this.

Probably next week I have to work overdue so I hope I will be able to get this done the 28 feb. We will see.

Cheers
Robert

Hello Robert,

I look forward to your work my friend. Try to do it all by the deadline if possible. I am posting backing tracks under my Requests part of the instructor board. You will find backing track for your MTP in there!
playaxeman
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Feb 19 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Robert,

I look forward to your work my friend. Try to do it all by the deadline if possible. I am posting backing tracks under my Requests part of the instructor board. You will find backing track for your MTP in there!

Hi Pedja

How r you doing?

Here is the rec version

Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Feb 28 2010, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pedja

How r you doing?

Here is the rec version

Hi Robert

I am not feeling so well , down with the bad flu for week or more. Your REC is good but your timing is not like mine in the lesson but it rather sounds like Mike Knofner is playing my lesson wink.gif
playaxeman
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 1 2010, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Robert

I am not feeling so well , down with the bad flu for week or more. Your REC is good but your timing is not like mine in the lesson but it rather sounds like Mike Knofner is playing my lesson wink.gif

Hi Pedja

I hope you will soon recover.

About the timing I don't understand what I did wrong because I had the guitarpro lesson file running along with me while I recorded the audio and I was exactly playing in that timing.

Maybe the reason is that I split my audio and video recording due to PC hardware memory problem: if I use both my video recording and audio recording at the same time the are not in synch: one of them is a bit later. So I tried to workaround that to do a audio first (with the guitarpro as backing so I play on time) and later do the video (and play along with the audio but I don't record that)

Cheers

p.s. I see is as a complement that it sounds like Mark Knopfler dry.gif
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Mar 1 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pedja

I hope you will soon recover.

About the timing I don't understand what I did wrong because I had the guitarpro lesson file running along with me while I recorded the audio and I was exactly playing in that timing.

Maybe the reason is that I split my audio and video recording due to PC hardware memory problem: if I use both my video recording and audio recording at the same time the are not in synch: one of them is a bit later. So I tried to workaround that to do a audio first (with the guitarpro as backing so I play on time) and later do the video (and play along with the audio but I don't record that)

Cheers

p.s. I see is as a complement that it sounds like Mark Knopfler dry.gif

Hi Robert,

I am already feeling a bit better today, will try to do chat later on hope you can make it.

I meant it as compliment of course, your fingerstyle playing and rhythm made it sound like that. I will grade this take in REC very soon wink.gif
playaxeman
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 1 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Robert,

I am already feeling a bit better today, will try to do chat later on hope you can make it.

I meant it as compliment of course, your fingerstyle playing and rhythm made it sound like that. I will grade this take in REC very soon wink.gif

Hi Pedja

My REC haven't been graded yet, do you know something maybe went wrong?

Cheers
Robert
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Mar 13 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pedja

Cheers
Robert

Hi Robert,

I haven't graded it yet and there needs to be at least 3 instructors that grade it. My internet is back to normal today so I will go ahead and grade it now. Sorry for the delay!
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Mar 13 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pedja

Cheers
Robert

Graded it just now Robert, they should announce it soon I hope!
playaxeman
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 14 2010, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Graded it just now Robert, they should announce it soon I hope!

Hi Pedja

Thx for the replay.

Much appreciated
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Mar 14 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pedja

Thx for the replay.

Much appreciated

You welcome Robert, anytime my friend. I am still waiting for your last assignment by the way smile.gif
playaxeman
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 15 2010, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You welcome Robert, anytime my friend. I am still waiting for your last assignment by the way smile.gif

Hello Pedja
Oh yes, though that would be too late cause the MTP ended 28 feb.

But I like to do it anyway so this week I will give it a shot.

Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Mar 15 2010, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Pedja
Oh yes, though that would be too late cause the MTP ended 28 feb.

But I like to do it anyway so this week I will give it a shot.

Hello Robert,

I will keep the thread open as long as you need to complete your last assignment!
playaxeman
Dear Pedja,

Great! Go to know that
Pedja Simovic
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Mar 15 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Pedja,

Great! Go to know that

Great Robert. Let me know if you got any questions regarding last assignment.
Pedja Simovic
Robert my friend, happy birthday ! All the best today and have a great musical day smile.gif
playaxeman
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 15 2010, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Robert,

I will keep the thread open as long as you need to complete your last assignment!

Hello Pedja,

Here is my take for this assignment.

Click to view attachment

finaly wink.gif

The progression is | C / / / | C / / / | F / / / | F / / / | C / F/|

I used mostly Dm pentatonic because that is second (II min) for Cmaj but also 6th (VI min) for Fmaj

I also tried to put in some Am pentattonic which is 6th for Cmaj and 3th for Fmaj.

Pedja Simovic
Hello Robert,

Thank you for completing your final assignment. I was happy to hear you did more than I asked with nice backing track and some cool soloing features (ex whammy bar melodies towards the end). We will continue working on superimposing and improvising in general in our MTP for June.
I will close this thread now but expect a new one for June soon!

Pedja
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.