Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
shredmaster1393
hey GMC, i need some help with songwriting. i am trying to find the right chords to fit together but nothing seems to work right now!!! what things can i do to learn more about chords and how they could fit with other chords. THanks.!!!! smile.gif
jafomatic
really all you need to know is in the theory grimoire and specifically the segments about the harmonization of chords from the degrees of a scale.

Once you learn that rule, you're free to break it. Ultimately, what sounds good to YOU is what you should write down.
zen
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Feb 24 2010, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once you learn that rule, you're free to break it.

Gold smile.gif
Damir Puh
Learning how to harmonize a scale is the basic thing to learn, then dig into chord substitutions and modulation. Voice leading and pitch axis theory is worth taking a look at too. smile.gif
Adrian Figallo
maybe this is too basic, but for me the thing is to have a melody first, whatever you wanna sing or play in a lead instrument, and once you have it or have a basic version of it, start singing it and play chords backing that melody, that works great for me, but yeah.. you gotta know how to play some chords first.
Ivan Milenkovic
Check out my songwriting lesson here on GMC, just type songwriting into search.
Daniel Realpe
learn the basic theory behind triads and chords...and also visualize all the notes from one scale in a horizontal way in the guitar and pick notes from there, nothing else....also record yourself and try different things while recording
Bogdan Radovic
Learning about chords, triads and harmonizing scales will help you a lot with this subject. Just type any of these terms in the lessons search box.
Conrad Harpham
ive got a lesson on bar chords coming up which may help...
Vasilije Vukmirovic
Essential harmony knowledge here is required. What is tonic, what is subdominant, what is dominant. What is II V I.
All songs basically share the same simple harmonies. If you like songwriting and want to improve yourself, work on the ear training, believe me, that is HUGE!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.