Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back Injury
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Mumlex
I realized today that every time i start playing the guitar a lot and actually making progress, my back starts to suffer. I've had some trouble with my back in the past, but i've never found the source of the problem until now. Right now my back is messed up, and i'm 90% sure that it's down to playing the guitar. When i play i sit down with a kind of "hunched" back, and i think this position might be the problem.

So what i was wondering is if any of you guys have experienced the same before? If anybody has some suggestions on how to solve the problem?

I really don't want to give up playing, but if it's either playing the guitar or my health i guess my guitar wil have tol go on ebay..

Mumlex
jafomatic
QUOTE (Mumlex @ Apr 26 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I realized today that every time i start playing the guitar a lot and actually making progress, my back starts to suffer. I've had some trouble with my back in the past, but i've never found the source of the problem until now. Right now my back is messed up, and i'm 90% sure that it's down to playing the guitar. When i play i sit down with a kind of "hunched" back, and i think this position might be the problem.

So what i was wondering is if any of you guys have experienced the same before? If anybody has some suggestions on how to solve the problem?

I really don't want to give up playing, but if it's either playing the guitar or my health i guess my guitar wil have tol go on ebay..

Mumlex

Easiest way to solve this is first to play standing up. After that, the habit of sitting up straight will be MUCH easier to form. I have a chronic lower back injury as well and this has worked for me.

Aside, you'll very likely receive a little "watch-it" note from the moderators regarding your language.
Bogdan Radovic
I would also suggest practicing standing up. I actually have that as a habit now and love doing it. One more thing I can suggest is working out (gym) - but consult with a physician first about that since it depends on your problem. I had some back problems but now that I have strengthened some muscles - they disappear!
stratman79
I suggest you sit in the 'Classical' position and make sure you sit with a straight back.

I had a friend who had a back problem and he had a harness strap fitted.

It's like backpack straps and it spreads the weight across both shoulders.
relaxenjoy
I'm here to second and third or whatever else about standing up, working out, and playing standing up!

I had a similar problem as you for a while.

Since then I have started going to the gym and I play in a mixed classical/standing up position, let me explain..

I play sitting down, put I lock in my strap and then sit up straight like I am standing up.

If this sounds confusing, here's an example of me playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4abQlEoID_M

I put my chair up as high it will go and sit up straight on the edge of my chair.

I hope this makes sense, if not and you would like to know more drop me a PM.
Santiago Diaz Garces
I would also add to take it easy and don't push yourself. Maybe you push yourself a lot when playing the guitar and what you like the most, endings being a problem. So, relax and take it easy
Daniel Realpe
man, I've had the same problems before but I don't intend to give up playing guitar so I guess I got used to it,

guitar is a heavy object so there's not much to do against that,

Todd Simpson
I feel your pain. I"ve got back problems myself. I agree with some other posters who suggest sitting in the classical position. It tends to reduce lumbar pressure and reminds you to sit up straight. If my back is really killing me, I'll actually practice laying down. I"ve got to say it's a great way to take pressure off your back.

Todd
thefireball
These guys are giving some great advice. Also, visit your local or nearby chiropractor often. Don't be afraid of them; find a good one and you will not regret it. Me and my family goes to one, and he is a great guy. I realize some people have had trouble with bad chiropractors, but I encourage them not to give up - find a good guy out there. It's great to come home after having an adjustment - my neck and back feel so loose. I have neck problems (stiffness).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.