Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ruzz Introduction Thread
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Pedja Simovic > MTP (Pedja)
Pedja Simovic
Ruzz,

Feel free to tell me as many things as possible about your playing and knowledge. Audio and/or video of your playing could also help. I am looking for specific goals (short and long term) so that I could create proper plan for you smile.gif

Pedja
Ruzz
Hello Pedja!

Thank you for mentoring me during this program.
My name is Anders I am 17 years old and I live in Copenhagen, which is the capital of Denmark.
I would like to say beforehand, that I am going to be away for some weeks during these months because of the summer holidays. I will however do my best to complete the assignments anyway, since I am very motivated.

My musical background

I have been playing classical guitar since I was 6 years old. This was however not very interesting to me so I began playing the electric guitar when I turned 15. At this point I also began taking music more seriously. I am also taking private lessons in electric guitar. With this teacher I am primarily studying improvisation. This teacher is also mentoring a John Scofield cover band I am playing in. I am however also playing in another band which is more funk / rock oriented.

My theory knowledge

I personally think I know and understand a lot of theory. I know what scales and chords are and how to construct them. I also know the most basic chord progressions such as the II – V – I progression and the I – IV – V progression. I do also understand the modes. My ear is also somewhat good. I can distinguish the major intervals and the perfect intervals from each other just by the sound of them.

Technique

My technique is also in my opinion fine for now, and is not something I wish to work on during this period.

Audio and video recordings

Feel free to check out my videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ruzzify

Most of the videos are REC takes, except the latest. The latest is a track by a famous Danish band, which I learned by ear.

Here are some audio recordings:

http://www.box.net/shared/4dg16dmcsd

http://www.box.net/shared/jlaxusvsbk

The first link is from a jam over a backing track by Ivan Milenkovic and the second is a demo from my Scofield cover band. Unfortunately we made this for our drummers audition for something else, so there is no guitar improvisation by me.

My goals

I obviously chose you as my mentor because I want to improve in some more “jazzy” aspects of playing the guitar. I want to focus on two primary things during this period.
First of all I want to be able to use my theory knowledge when improvising. I feel that I know a lot of theory, but I do not think that I am able to use it on the fly. I feel that I am still more or less stuck in the pentatonic patterns when I am improvising. I always find myself sounding like I am playing the pentatonics with added notes here and there. I hope this makes sense to you.

Secondly I want to develop my ear even further. I think some transcribing assignments would be of good use to me.

At last I would like to request that you do not give me too many assignments from the GMC lessons. I know that I have to do one REC take each month to stay in the program. And that is fine. I do however not feel that I am learning as much from these lessons as the instructor who made it wanted me as a student to learn from it. I always find myself learning to play the lesson note by note and improving my technique but ultimately not understanding the chord progressions and theory behind the lesson. I hope you catch my drift. I need some assignments were I cannot take shortcuts so I do not end up selling myself short.

Lastly I want to say once more that I am really looking forward to these next few months with you as my mentor, as you are one of my favourite instructors on the site.
Pedja Simovic
Hello Ruzz,

Great guitar CV man. I will be more than happy to help you out with your goals.
Things you requested to learn are great and will enjoy very much teaching you those things. Your first assignment will be improvisation based assignment. More on that tomorrow. I will always try to pick lessons you can learn from. Most times I will pick my lessons because I think you will learn a lot of theory and harmony along with improvising from them (most my lessons were recorded improvisations that I transcribed after !!!).

Keep in touch and stay alert for now, tomorrow your 1st assignment awaits you!

Pedja
Ruzz
Cool man.
I am definintely looking forward to getting started!
Pedja Simovic
Great to hear that !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.