Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lesson Request
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Alexiaden93
Hello GMC,

I have been listening to a lot of Hans Zimmer's work, in the field of film music, and I would kill (although I'd avoid it for as long as possible) to be able to compose such beautiful music.

I know it's all about theory and especially aural abilities, but at least the theory behind great composition can be explained. For example, the backing track of Piotr Kaczor's Yngwie Malmsteen lesson was commented to be very much in the style of Hans Zimmer.

So my request is:

Could any GMC instructor make a lesson on how to compose film music, of course considering dynamics and events affected by the music?

EDIT:

I think this kind of lesson should not be reductionist/simplistic, just throw in all the theory you can think of: cadences, intervals, whatever! Maybe this will be a GMC revolution, who knows smile.gif Time to kick that fat Swede's behind (you know which Steen I'm talkin' 'bout) wink.gif
Daniel Realpe
that's a really good idea,

we all should give our little grain of sand on the subject,

I've composed some orchestral stuff but I haven't followed strict counterpoint rules just some basic chord progression guides,

Alexiaden93
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jul 9 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's a really good idea,

we all should give our little grain of sand on the subject,

I've composed some orchestral stuff but I haven't followed strict counterpoint rules just some basic chord progression guides,

Yeah, I was thinking either a lesson, or a GMC Tome of Composition or something, similar to the Theory Grimoire. Basically, anyone can contribute by showcasing a song, and explain how they composed it, what chord progression, what effect it creates, what chords etc.

But what I really want is a guide on Orchestration and composing in a more dramatic sense... smile.gif
Fusar
Ah very good topic smile.gif I think about the same wish for a long time...I absolutely love film music! But I think one lesson or stuff of only one instructor will not be enough, I'd want a similar thing to the theory grimoire smile.gif

Ah very good topic smile.gif I think about the same wish for a long time...I absolutely love film music! But I think one lesson or stuff of only one instructor will not be enough, I'd want a similar thing to the theory grimoire smile.gif
Alexiaden93
QUOTE (Fusar @ Jul 9 2010, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I think some spoken videos would also be very interesting. Maybe each instructor could compose something like Piotr Kaczor's Yngwie Malmsteen style lesson, and dedicate the entire lesson to explaining what theory they used to compose it, what chord progression, what harmonies etc. All of these lessons could then be assembled into a lesson series titled "Composing" or something like that.
Vasilije Vukmirovic
Uh, that is a big issue. I watched some videos about Zimmer, the guy has studio so large it fills the whole floor, but composing it that style requires some knowledge...
Daniel Realpe
maybe contact admin so that they can take this to the next level
Alexiaden93
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jul 9 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe contact admin so that they can take this to the next level

What do you mean by admin and next level ? smile.gif

QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Jul 9 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh, that is a big issue. I watched some videos about Zimmer, the guy has studio so large it fills the whole floor, but composing it that style requires some knowledge...

I don't mean Zimmer exclusively, I just mean basic concepts concerning orchestration etc. All can be done with MIDI keyboard etc, in my opinion, even though I don't have extensive knowledge on the topic.
Daniel Realpe
you can maybe make the suggestion to Kris Dahl and maybe they make a special section on the site for it
Vasilije Vukmirovic
Yeah Alexiaden93, of course, but I meant the theoretical part...
If some could do that, that would be cool...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.