Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fried Eggs In My Amp
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
Mudbone
Whenever I first turn my amp on, theres a lot of scratchy sounds, kinda like when you turn some old scratchy pots. After about 10 minutes it goes away, but then theres this sizzling sound, like the the sound of frying eggs. It does this regardless of whether or not I warm it up in standby. Could it be the tubes? Or something else that requires warranty work? The amp is only about a year old, and doesn't get used that much.
JVM
Could be some kind of interference. I don't know if thats the right word for it, but some other electronics that your amp or pickups are amplifying. It happens sometimes for me around my house, sometimes around the computer too. Since you say you don't use it that much, try moving it to another area and trying again?
ZakkWylde
Could also be interference through your wall socket, try to find another one and only plug in your amp and nothing else in the same room
Mudbone
Thanks for your feedback guys, interference could be part of the problem. But I don't think that explains all the scratching, pooping and farting that happens when its first warming up. So does standby only warm up the power tubes, or does it warm up the preamp tubes as well?
Bogdan Radovic
I'm not sure what could be the problem but if your amp is still under warranty maybe it would be worth to have it checked out by tech in the shop...

Could be various reasons.
Todd Simpson
Be very careful about this. It could be a serious short that could cause an electrical fire, etc. Take it to an technician asap. Hopefully it's something small that can be fixed easily. It's not worth taking the chance though to keep playing it.
Saoirse O'Shea
Like Todd I think you may have a serious amp problem and that you should take it to an amp tech asap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.