Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying To Do My Own Version Of A Known Song
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Uploads
remi
Hi,

i'm planning to try do my own version of a pop style song, and i'd like to do it in a more rock version...
The song is this one (it's a french band):

and the band did an accoustic version here:

so..... i would need before starting to have a few advices... i was thinking about doing it with kind of metal sound in palm muting for the verse and the bridge and pretty powerful during the chorus. One detail it will be a female voice on it...

for the drums, i tried to work with EZdrummer, but it's not working, so any idea on wich softwars to use for creating drums and bass ?

Any idea, advice of whatever would be really appreciated!

There's no specific goal in this, excepted to try to have fun!
Daniel Realpe
ez drummer should be a fairly easy plug in to install and use,

make sure you have inputs and outputs correctly set,

The piano could make a great distorted guitar riff! smile.gif
jeanv
Hi guys,

i would like to ha you opinions about a few things i tried to do my own version of the song.... i recorded my voice for the moment and i'm not a good singer.... you'll see ! But what do think abouth the style, the guitars, the drums....

Many thanks to help me ! It's the first time ever i try to do that!

of course i will keep on working on the project, but i prefer to have your advises before going further!

del-4fr53e3
I think it sounds great. smile.gif You might want to experiment with some other rythms on the guitar to make it more metalish, and double the guitars! Looking forward for more updates smile.gif
jeanv
Hi all,

ok, i recorded a full version with intro, verse, bridge, chorus and solo...
i also recorded the voice of my girlfriend, she sings much better than me even though she never learnt how to!

Here it is: Click to view attachment

so i have plenty of questions...

first of all... what do you think about the style ? The atmosphere ?
Do you think i should put another guitar during the bridge, like kind of small solo, just a few notes to give more power to the bridge ?
I doubled the guitar during the chorus, is that enough? should i put a third guitar, an harmonized guitar for example?

What about the guitars sound ?

And the solo, should it be longer? more powerful ?

What about the voice ? there's a small effect in it, kind of small delay/chorus.

What about drums ?

Should i try to put any virtual instruments (organ... ??)... i worked whith reaper, anybody knows how to put such an instrument on a track ???

MANY THANKS TO THOSE HOW WILL PAY ATTENTION TO THIS POST!!!! it's the first time my girlfiend and me try to record a full song.... so the more you'll give us advice the more life will be nice with you!!! tongue.gif
jeanv
hi! here is another version with many corrected things....

Click to view attachment

autospan on first guitar melody, equalizer on the voice, and modification of the last chorus...

hope it sounds better
Todd Simpson
Great job! Well done smile.gif What software are you using to mix?

Todd
Todd Simpson

Todd
jeanv
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 18 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Todd

Thanks Todd, i used Reaper to record voice and guitars! i'm not very used to this software, but it seems te be really interesting... i will dig into it very soon!
jeanv
and for fun the "video"... with the original band photo

Bogdan Radovic
Sounds pretty good. I would recommend trying to add a compressor on the master channel to make everything sound more "powerful". For this I often use PSP Vintage Tube Warmer. Check out their products : http://www.pspaudioware.com/

Overall its a nice sounding recording and I like the arrangement.
jeanv
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 19 2010, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds pretty good. I would recommend trying to add a compressor on the master channel to make everything sound more "powerful". For this I often use PSP Vintage Tube Warmer. Check out their products : http://www.pspaudioware.com/

Overall its a nice sounding recording and I like the arrangement.

Thanks i will have a look on that asap !
Ivan Milenkovic
here are some tips:

- Record doubled distorted guitar, and pan it left and right, so you leave the center for the vocal.

- add some presence on the vocals, they are too dark.

- Raising up the volume just a bit on the vocal wouldn't hurt either.

- hipass the guitars bellow 100Hz.

- lower down the room of the drums a bit

- lower down the cymbals just a bit

- make kick & snare more pronounced (they are barely being heard in the choruses)

- add mids on the solo guitar

- try different sample for the background melody (it sounds bit like the metronome, try piano or something)

- master everything with some mastering compressor or limiter. don't overdo it tho, just to level up everything nicely.

next to that, I would record doubled distorted guitars more tighter.
jeanv
Hi, many thanks Ivan for your answer, it will help me a lot ! Here are my answers to your points:

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 22 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here are some tips:

- Record doubled distorted guitar, and pan it left and right, so you leave the center for the vocal.
>> you doubling the guitar or recording the guitar twice?

- add some presence on the vocals, they are too dark.
>> some presence ? what do you mean? in the minxing or in tha way to sing ?

- Raising up the volume just a bit on the vocal wouldn't hurt either.
>> ok, what's generally the level for voice and guitars ?

- hipass the guitars bellow 100Hz.
>> i'm sorry i don't know what you really mean, i'm a newbie in mixing (i use reaper)

- lower down the room of the drums a bit
>> ok

- lower down the cymbals just a bit
>> ok

- make kick & snare more pronounced (they are barely being heard in the choruses)
>> ok

- add mids on the solo guitar
>> ok

- try different sample for the background melody (it sounds bit like the metronome, try piano or something)
>> ok

- master everything with some mastering compressor or limiter. don't overdo it tho, just to level up everything nicely.
>> how to ???? the newbie is back !!!

next to that, I would record doubled distorted guitars more tighter.

Many thanks once again Ivan !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.