Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Baby Came With Guitar Gear!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Gary
A few months back my wife and I welcomed our baby girl. Along with the excitement of having a daughter, I was stoked when I saw what she came with.

Immediately after birth a nurse fitted our daughter with an anti-theft device, basically a small electronic box affixed to the infant’s ankle. If you approach a hospital elevator or stairwell with an infant fitted with this device an alarm sounds and you're immediately chased down by hospital staff. I found this out the hard way (by accident of course rolleyes.gif ).

Upon inspecting this device my interest quickly shifted to the strap that anchored it to her leg. I have been searching for an effective string dampener and it took about two seconds for me to realize that I had just stumbled across what i've been looking for. The strap is sized perfectly for a guitar neck, it has an elastic stretch material over Velcro on one end, thus allowing it to be fit snuggly. Best of all, the inside of the strap (facing the leg, errr… strings) is made of this medium weight spongy material. I was confident this strap was the perfect dampener and was very anxious to bring it home and test it, of course I had to wait until mom and baby were released from the hospital as I did not want to risk setting of any more alarms.

Upon arriving home I snuck in where my guitars are and confirmed my suspicion. I have tried numerous dampeners in the past and this works far better than anything i've previously tried. It deadens every open string amazingly well.

Here's the dampener:
Click to view attachment

And here's our daughter.. not sure if she approves of me hijacking her strap or not? tongue.gif
Click to view attachment

Cheers!
Gary

Praetorian
She is absolutely perfect
superize
So cute
Piotr Kaczor
What an amazing story, my friend smile.gif and your daughter is so beautiful
Fran
Sweet baby smile.gif

And great idea using that as a dampener, now I wonder what you'll have to do again if you lose it laugh.gif wink.gif
del-4fr53e3
Haha, congratulations smile.gif

Now, off to get a baby... xD
Kristofer Dahl
Wow what a cutie - congratulations! wub.gif
Crazy_Diamond
You got some skills Gary she's so cute smile.gif
purple hayes
Congrats, dad. She's super cute.
Vaidya
congrats man.thats one cute baby biggrin.gif
jstcrsn
QUOTE (Gary @ Nov 30 2010, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few months back my wife and I welcomed our baby girl. Along with the excitement of having a daughter, I was stoked when I saw what she came with.

Immediately after birth a nurse fitted our daughter with an anti-theft device, basically a small electronic box affixed to the infant’s ankle. If you approach a hospital elevator or stairwell with an infant fitted with this device an alarm sounds and you're immediately chased down by hospital staff. I found this out the hard way (by accident of course rolleyes.gif ).

Upon inspecting this device my interest quickly shifted to the strap that anchored it to her leg. I have been searching for an effective string dampener and it took about two seconds for me to realize that I had just stumbled across what i've been looking for. The strap is sized perfectly for a guitar neck, it has an elastic stretch material over Velcro on one end, thus allowing it to be fit snuggly. Best of all, the inside of the strap (facing the leg, errr… strings) is made of this medium weight spongy material. I was confident this strap was the perfect dampener and was very anxious to bring it home and test it, of course I had to wait until mom and baby were released from the hospital as I did not want to risk setting of any more alarms.

Upon arriving home I snuck in where my guitars are and confirmed my suspicion. I have tried numerous dampeners in the past and this works far better than anything i've previously tried. It deadens every open string amazingly well.

Here's the dampener:
Click to view attachment

And here's our daughter.. not sure if she approves of me hijacking her strap or not? tongue.gif
Click to view attachment

Cheers!
Gary

i need one of those for my guitar, hope i don't have to go thru the same process
seeing i have five girls already blink.gif
Bogdan Radovic
Congratulations man! She is beautiful! smile.gif

Oh I need that piece of gear too - I've been playing some tapping lines that would really benefit from dampener smile.gif

Todd Simpson
Super Huge Congrats! smile.gif Doubley Blessed!

Todd
rokchik
She's gorgeous smile.gif Congrats to you and your wife!
Gary
Thanks everyone for the kind words... I forgot to mention the drawback. Having a baby around severely impacts practicing time smile.gif

Cheers~
Gary
Praetorian
QUOTE (Gary @ Nov 30 2010, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everyone for the kind words... I forgot to mention the drawback. Having a baby around severely impacts practicing time smile.gif

Cheers~
Gary

That's why I can only play after 7:30pm when the kids go to bed...and into my PC and headphones, not an amp!
Gary
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Dec 1 2010, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why I can only play after 7:30pm when the kids go to bed...and into my PC and headphones, not an amp!

Okay Ben, forget the guitar lessons.. I need a lesson from you on how to get kids in bed at 7:30.. blink.gif
My seven year old thinks that 9:00pm is the perfect time for me to start reading Harry Potter novels to him..LOL

Gary
thefireball
What a wonderful story! Funny too! Cute daughter you have there! She brought a smile to my face. smile.gif That face is irresistable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.