dark dude
CODE
-17p12---------------------12------------------
---------13----------13-----------------------
---------------14----------------------------
-------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

Should the 14 be an upstroke or a downstroke?
MonkeyDAthos
i think is up then you change to down in the 2ยบ 13
del-4fr53e3
Up - Think of sweeping as economy picking smile.gif
dark dude
Hmm, that is what I'd normally do, but this is taken from Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics, where a downstroke is always used.

Thoughts?
del-4fr53e3
Well, whatever works for you is always what works wink.gif
There is no ultimate way of doing things. If everyone did everything the same way, music would be one boring bash of notes smile.gif
dark dude
Fair enough, I thought there was an obvious advantage to it that I was missing. Thanks both smile.gif
maharzan
I would do down as it helps in all other combinations.. like 14th being 12th.
Ben Higgins
Hey Double D !

I would definitely treat that as an upstroke, if we're using the normal sweeping motion.

Troy Stetina's book is very cool... although he does use some quite difficult finger positions and pick patterns in my opinion.
Bogdan Radovic
Definitly seems like an upstroke to me. Though I'm not an expert on sweeping. See what seems most logical to you and easiest to play.
HungryForHeaven
QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 31 2010, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would do down as it helps in all other combinations.. like 14th being 12th.

Why would 14th being 12th fret make a difference in picking? Could you please develop this?

One reason to make it a downstroke could be to avoid inside picking.
Another could have to do with accentuation of certain notes, some players prefer to downstroke accentuated notes.

Just trying to understand different views on this, as most seem to prefer an upstroke in dark dude's example.

H4H
maharzan
Its all personal preference. I love the sound of the downstroke as it has more strength and it continuously goes down on rest of the strings. My pick tends to entangle while doing inside picking.. Its pretty odd for me to do 3 upstrokes and 2 downstrokes.. I prefer 3 down and 2 up.. Probably coz my upstroke is weak. smile.gif

It doesn't make difference but most starting 'sweep' relates to 12th fret that I am used to. wink.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
I would rehearse this as a downstroke. The movement of the picking hand is smaller like that.
del-4fr53e3
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 1 2011, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would rehearse this as a downstroke. The movement of the picking hand is smaller like that.

How is the movement smaller? huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.