Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solo
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
MonkeyDAthos
i have been struggl'ing with a problem lately, gonna be a little hard to explain bout..here it goes

my main problem in solo/improvisation isn't that i am only playing in for example, all shapes of pentatonic or only in one octave of a X scales...is about...it jusn't doesn't sound like a solo it sound more like exercices or just some phrases that we repeat 100 times.

what should i do to fix this : c to start to solo and feel like a solo not just random notes or exercices.

you probl'y will answer learn some licks or sing the solo.
and if you do answer that, i will give you another question how do you sing a solo?
thefireball
Ramiro can really help with this, I'll bet, in his video chats. wink.gif
MonkeyDAthos
guess i'll have to wait then.
jstcrsn
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Feb 6 2011, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
guess i'll have to wait then.

Improvisation is = things you have memorized but played in a new order
thus , the more you memorize the more you can
and the wider range of styles = a wider range of improve
there is no easy answer to this , but you need to memerize everything you can get your hands on
it is up to you at this point, are you willing to put the hard work in to get the results you want?
dark dude
It's something that happens over time, you can't rush it otherwise everybody would be putting out killer solos haha.

People's work ultimately tends to be a fusion of all their influences, be it dropping in a pentatonic zakk riff or some satriani-esque legato, etc. Learning licks and listening to your influences definately helps with ideas but it'll still take a bit of time to work out something awesome and make that solo yours.

My improv. is essentially licks that I've played countless times before with very few original lines that just pop up (e.g. "What if I doubled up the notes here, played that slower and built up to the tempo here... ") here and there.

Maybe learn a few solos from your favourite artists and try use bits from each in your improv.? I know it's a basic idea, but it's effective. That's all I can really say man, sorry it's not much, but hope it helps.
Ben Higgins
The thing that you need is to be able to take these notes from the scale and turn them into melodies.

It doesn't have to be complicated at first. Just take 3 notes. Pretend we're in Eminor... so let's take the 12th fret, 14, and 15th on the high E string. That's E, F# & G. Try playing them in different orders.. like E, G, F#, G... or E, G, F#, E, F# G.... also try repeating certain notes in a rhythmical manner. Joe Satriani used to create his guitar melodies by pretending that his guitar was replacing the vocalist. So play certain notes twice maybe.. make it sound like a vocal melody from a song. When you hit something that sounds good, it IS good ! smile.gif I hope this helps. Anybody else got any advice on how to start creating melodies and phrases ?
MonkeyDAthos
ty all!i guess i just got a bit dismotived, like hearing amazing tracks from mr'friedman, vai etc etc and then when i try to improvise i just suck q:
Bogdan Radovic
Don't feel discouraged. It takes some time to absorb different licks that you can later on re-use in your own playing. Try working on connecting the different boxes with slides. Also concentrate on short phrases with expression tools like bending/vibrato. It will immediately make it sound more musical.

Check out this video of Kris talking about similar topic :

If you put some practice, licks and cool solos will come out! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey man! smile.gif I found this really useful and I still do it quite often:

Step 1:

Download backing tracks of famous songs created for vocalists (pop songs, rock, metal.. regardless) which have really well known and catchy vocal lines.

Step 2:

Emulate the vocal lines with your guitar as close to the vocal intonations as possible (this will develop your musical direction and it'll build up tremendous articulation skills)

Step 3:

As soon as you can emulate the vocal lines, start straying from them: replace notes, accentuate different notes, change the metrics of the lines, in lesser words, noodle around with the lines until you can create some simple but logic and beautiful lines of your own.

Step 4:

Once you have the simple lines, link them up by using familiar licks that you know. If I am correct, Richie Kotzen once stated that he uses certain guitar licks only to get to a certain place on the neck or link phrases smile.gif

Step 5:

Make sure that you know as many harmonic-melodic relationship tricks as possible - there are a lot of small things which can flavor your playing in a way that makes a notable difference!

quadrium
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 8 2011, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey man! smile.gif I found this really useful and I still do it quite often:

Step 1:

Download backing tracks of famous songs created for vocalists (pop songs, rock, metal.. regardless) which have really well known and catchy vocal lines.

Step 2:

Emulate the vocal lines with your guitar as close to the vocal intonations as possible (this will develop your musical direction and it'll build up tremendous articulation skills)

Step 3:

As soon as you can emulate the vocal lines, start straying from them: replace notes, accentuate different notes, change the metrics of the lines, in lesser words, noodle around with the lines until you can create some simple but logic and beautiful lines of your own.

Step 4:

Once you have the simple lines, link them up by using familiar licks that you know. If I am correct, Richie Kotzen once stated that he uses certain guitar licks only to get to a certain place on the neck or link phrases smile.gif

Step 5:

Make sure that you know as many harmonic-melodic relationship tricks as possible - there are a lot of small things which can flavor your playing in a way that makes a notable difference!

Wow.These are great instructions.Thanks man smile.gif It will definetely help my improvising.
jstcrsn
QUOTE (quadrium @ Feb 9 2011, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow.These are great instructions.Thanks man smile.gif It will definetely help my improvising.

i just want to point out the fact that first you have to memorize the lyric lines before you can vary them
so once again memorize everything you can
del-4fr53e3
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Feb 9 2011, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

biggrin.gif VERY, VERY NICE!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.