Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attending Berklee Auditions
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
quadrium
Hey guys,

I have a question. I'm planning to attend Berklee auditions soon. And i want to get a scholarship so badly. But i have never been in a audition.And i literally don't know what do. Should i have to demonstrate all the guitar techniques (sweeping, legato, speed picking, arpeggios etc.) or should i just focus on what i am good at? Should i play a cover song or jam with a random bt? Can i get your opinions about this? I'm currently counting on my AP and legato skills. Can you suggest me some lessons that push my limits further? I'd be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dogukan.
Marek Rojewski
I don't know how it is, but I suspect that technique isn't that important for the "examiners". After all technique is the easiest thing to learn, they know it, and also they surely know that they can have as many music-less bedroom shredders as they want. So I would say showing that You have some groove and/or melody is more important. Showing technique only to make it clear, that You are ready to put hours into practicing it.
Rated Htr
Usually schools when they are doing auditions ask you a lot of theory related questions to know your current position of learning. Scales, chords, modes and all that are their priorities to teach you. Also they test your ear and reading skills to make sure your a versatille musician. After all that, they usually ask you to play one or more pieces of your own choice for you to show them your already learnt skills and technique.

That at least as always been what happened to me smile.gif.
Ivan Milenkovic
Good luck man, and go there prepared. Learn some cool piece, and learn it well. It shows your ability to learn something they will give you. Try to be in time, and to express emotions if you can, this is also important value.
Jesse
I'm attending music school ( jazz conservatory) this wednesday, stressed out!:D
quadrium
Thanks for the advices guys smile.gif

And Jesse good luck man. Hope you enjoy smile.gif

Dogukan,
MonkeyDAthos
well this is just me, but i think more important than playing 4 billion notes a second is knowing how only one or three notes make or solo away epic than one with 4 billion shredding notes, if it was me i would dig theory so i could get in control of what i am doing than rather playing some fast sometimes random licks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.