Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Melody Vs Shredding
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Gabriel Leopardi
One of the most difficult things for the shred guitar players is to get the correct balance between technique and melody...

Which guitar player do you think that achieves the best balance between melody and shredding?

superize
One that comes to mind for me is Jeff Loomis. He can really shred it out but alos use alot of melodies in his songs
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (superize @ Jun 14 2011, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One that comes to mind for me is Jeff Loomis. He can really shred it out but alos use alot of melodies in his songs

Cool choice. I mostly know him because of his killer shredding stuff but it's true that he composes nice melodies.
Daniel Realpe
off the top of my head, this guy first comes to mind:

Also, Vinnie Moore
Ivan Milenkovic
Hmm, Vai has the correct balance, although he uses lots of different techniques, and uses whammy a lot.

I like the way Andy Timmons and Eric Johnson are playing smile.gif
MonkeyDAthos
Buckethead

after 2:20 for me this is the perfect fusion btwen shred and melody
Sinisa Cekic
John McLaughlin, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Alex Hutchings...
imashooter
Friedman, Satch, Vai..
Gabriel Leopardi
yeah, all those are fantastic players!! I would choose Steve Vai but Marty Friedman and Vinnie Moore could be good choices too for this topic!
and even Buckethead uses to play lots of nice melodies and killer shred licks.
Cosmin Lupu
Andy Timmons, Guthrie Govan, Steve Lukather, Mattias Eklundh, Bret Garsed biggrin.gif and the list could go on wink.gif
Ben Higgins
I'm going to go with Satriani.. I love Marty and Vinnie but Satriani seems to have the best balance of everything, he always has had this level of maturity and restraint. I don't think I've ever heard anything from him and thought 'Oh, Joe.. that's a bit too much' smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
You gotta love this one:

Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 16 2011, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You gotta love this one:

That kicks butt.. what a tone ! I like the way he uses the 9th on the main melody, instead of going straight to the 3rd which would be the obvious approach.. like at 1:10 smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 16 2011, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That kicks butt.. what a tone ! I like the way he uses the 9th on the main melody, instead of going straight to the 3rd which would be the obvious approach.. like at 1:10 smile.gif

Ben, after I listened to this guy talk about music I felt so inspired, I could've knocked him over the stage, grab a guitar and sing the life out of myself smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 16 2011, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You gotta love this one:

I discovered him only one year ago and I got impressed of his tasty playing... his tone, his melodies are so beautiful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.