Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playing On Higher Frets - While Standing Up-
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
MonkeyDAthos
Lately i have been dealing with a problem that really worry me out.

i can't play well i can but is uncomf' as hell on higher (14+) frets :C so it kind mess up my solos.
so i found out a solution, using a guitar a bit higher, and it solve in fact but then another problem show up.
using it this high after a while, my arm starts to hurt so do my back.

any recommendation?
dark dude
I'd just find a block to put my leg up on and do the solo Petrucci style. If your guitar is heavy, having it high up will kill your back until it gets used to it.
Sinisa Cekic
Raise up guitar, and watch out for the spine!
MonkeyDAthos
QUOTE (dark dude @ Sep 9 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd just find a block to put my leg up on and do the solo Petrucci style. If your guitar is heavy, having it high up will kill your back until it gets used to it.

i might have to resort to that.

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Sep 9 2011, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Raise up guitar, and watch out for the spine!

I use the guitar almost like Tom Morello if not the same!
and if i try lower it, it just get uncomfortable to play on higher frets.
Todd Simpson
Here's something to try smile.gif Sit down, in classical position, find a comfy spot for your guitar. Then, pull your guitar to your chest and stand up. The spot where your guitar now rests is your roughly ideal standing position. Adjust the strap to keep the guitar roughly in place. That way, your sitting and standing positions for the guitar will be roughly the same and this helps solve wads of problems.

Todd
Gabriel Leopardi
this is my solution...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphoto...4_1579558_n.jpg
Ivan Milenkovic
If you want to be comfortable when playing while standing, then you need to practice everything in standing position. Start from now, and you will see improvements after couple of months. Focus specially on the areas where you have problems. You will see that on slower tempos and while standing, you will adapt much better to new position.
Daniel Realpe
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 10 2011, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

looks awesome! nice one!
MonkeyDAthos
Ty all, i have experimenting several positions and found one that not only i found more comfortable to play on higher frets, but also on lower.

i might get one of those "Petrucci Signature Blocks" to give a bit of support playing live.
Sinisa Cekic
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 10 2011, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes,the monitors know serve so well biggrin.gif !!!

Click to view attachment

Nihilist1
I can second Todd's method. That is how I find my position for all my guitars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.