Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Christian Rock/ Metal
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Cosmin Lupu
There's a great number of acts in the rock/ metal scene today which promote a Christian message. This doesn't have to state 'Drop to your knees and believe in Jesus...NOW!' - it usually has a positive message about doing good deeds, acting right and having a nice attitude towards life regardless of it's hardships. Here's a few bands you might've heard about smile.gif

Which is your favorite Christian band? If you have one of course smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
I agree mate, and to add (I hope it doesn't sound controversial) if more people followed some of very basic religion life guidelines, it would be a lot better World. These messages should be very important, and the music is great too smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
One of the biggest from my country...

superize

This is my favorite and its also i band i got to know during summer music class and they are really awesome people
Jerry Lee
Okay, now this is live, and pretty rough, but it is from 1993. This is my favorite Christian Metal band. I played bass in a Christian Metal band back then called Burnt Offering, but we didn't make a video.
Here is their live video
http://player.vimeo.com/video/13141011
and here is one of their songs from an album The Passing: http://youtu.be/OAJ19llLxcs

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 22 2011, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a great number of acts in the rock/ metal scene today which promote a Christian message. This doesn't have to state 'Drop to your knees and believe in Jesus...NOW!' - it usually has a positive message about doing good deeds, acting right and having a nice attitude towards life regardless of it's hardships. Here's a few bands you might've heard about smile.gif

Which is your favorite Christian band? If you have one of course smile.gif

I played and listened to Christian Metal back in the 90's and have lost touch with the scene. Any more recommendations in this area would be great! Thanks for the great music.
Gabriel Leopardi
Another one from Argentina... power metal

Daniel Realpe
This band is christian from Colombia:

Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (superize @ Nov 22 2011, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is my favorite and its also i band i got to know during summer music class and they are really awesome people

Cool Whammy solo.. a la Tom Morello.
Sensible Jones
Possibly the first Christian Metal band?
thefireball
Yeah! I love that "Alive" by P.O.D. Just curious, Cosmin, do you believe in Jesus as a Christian? I do - I was just curious to know where you stand on that. wink.gif

EDIT: Oh, my favorite Christian band is RED.
Gitarrero
I must confess, I didn't really think there were christian metal bands until I saw Cosmin's latest lessons. Now I found out that As I lay Dying and Killswitch Engage are christian metal bands as well.

I think it is great when bands have a positive message in their lyrics. I didn't really check out all of their lyrics, so I wonder why is it called christian metal? Do these bands at some point refer to God or Jesus? Or do they just promote a positive lifestyle? And if it is the latter, why would a positive lifestyle be called christian? Just curious, I know discussions like this can easily get out of hand...
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (thefireball @ Nov 22 2011, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah! I love that "Alive" by P.O.D. Just curious, Cosmin, do you believe in Jesus as a Christian? I do - I was just curious to know where you stand on that. wink.gif

EDIT: Oh, my favorite Christian band is RED.

Hey Brandon! I don't believe in church and fanatic religious behavior, but I do believe in kindness, ethical principles, good will, ambition and hard work and I think God does too smile.gif
Mudbone
I'm not quite sure how telling people to accept an ancient mythological deity as their savior or else spend an eternity in the flames of hell could be considered a positive message, but it does make for some good music. I never really got into the whole Christian rock/metal scene, but I'm really digging Pillar.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 22 2011, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree mate, and to add (I hope it doesn't sound controversial) if more people followed some of very basic religion life guidelines, it would be a lot better World. These messages should be very important, and the music is great too smile.gif

If people just followed the Golden Rule, i.e. treat others as you would want to be treated, the world would be a better place. Contrary to what some may believe, religion doesn't have a monopoly on morality.
The Uncreator

As far as I am concerned, Becoming The Archetype is one of the few bands who are Christian and have strong christian messages that I highly respect and love. I usually strongly dislike christian music because it preaches, and I hate preaching (don't mean to sound angry if I do tongue.gif ), BTA have enough intelligence and musical interests to make to use elements like allegory and symbolism, they cloak there personal belief in subtle lyrics most of the time, allowing me to enjoy my own interpretation of them.

Typical christian music doesn't allow my mind this luxury, its far too direct in its delivery - it doesn't allow (me) any room for interpretation and thus I just can't enjoy it.

That being said...

Perfect example of what I said, lyrics are generally about a plague or flesh eating virus. Although this is just a metaphor for Jason Wisdom (bass player/ singer) and his beliefs. While I may not share those beliefs, the song is open.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Nov 23 2011, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not quite sure how telling people to accept an ancient mythological deity as their savior or else spend an eternity in the flames of hell could be considered a positive message, but it does make for some good music. I never really got into the whole Christian rock/metal scene, but I'm really digging Pillar.

If people just followed the Golden Rule, i.e. treat others as you would want to be treated, the world would be a better place. Contrary to what some may believe, religion doesn't have a monopoly on morality.

+1 mate, you are sharing my principles smile.gif cheers!
AK Rich
This is one of my all time favorite bands, awesome power trio. I wouldnt call them a hardcore christian band but the lyrics are somewhat religious or spiritual and uplifting, here is a small write up I found on them.

King's X is an American hard rock band that combines progressive metal, funk and soul with vocal arrangements influenced by gospel, blues, and British Invasion pop groups. The band's lyrics are largely based on the members' struggles with religion and self-acceptance.

zoom
FLYLEAF -Great Band. Don't consider themselves a christian band but all the members are.
Lacey Sturm is lead vocals awesome. smile.gif

I pretty much disagree that christianity is all about morals. Morals might be an end result of living as a christian but that's a side issue.
check out Lacey's Sturm's thoughts on it in this video.

PosterBoy

Effectradio.com is a great internet station for Christian Rock
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (zoom @ Nov 23 2011, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FLYLEAF -Great Band. Don't consider themselves a christian band but all the members are.

I pretty much disagree that christianity is all about morals. Morals might be an end result of living as a christian but that's a side issue.
check out Lacey's Sturm's thoughts on it in this video.

I like Flyleaf! I've never seen them as Christian Rock... I'm not too religious.. but I always enjoyed Flyleaf music...
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 23 2011, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Flyleaf! I've never seen them as Christian Rock... I'm not too religious.. but I always enjoyed Flyleaf music...

I'm also digging Flyleaf biggrin.gif but I didn't know Killswitch Engage were a Christian metal band!
zoom
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Nov 22 2011, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Possibly the first Christian Metal band?

Yeah go stryper - went and saw them about a yeah ago. Great guitar parts and killer vocals smile.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 24 2011, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also digging Flyleaf biggrin.gif but I didn't know Killswitch Engage were a Christian metal band!

Are they? I neither knew it...
PosterBoy
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 24 2011, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are they? I neither knew it...

I think some members are christians rather them being a christian band
SirJamsalot
QUOTE (zoom @ Nov 23 2011, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, great sounding band. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Chris!
Fran
Really nice bands there.

I love flyleaf, specially their first album.

Spoken are quite good too.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Fran @ Nov 27 2011, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really nice bands there.

I love flyleaf, specially their first album.

Spoken are quite good too.

+1 Fran! Spoken is a super band! Here's my favorite song:

Fran
These are some of my favourites:

PosterBoy
Some great bands in here I haven't listened to before.

Loving Spoken
playaxeman
Really heard some great bands

As a believer I dig

Hope for the dying:

POD: Alive

kutless

Jars of Clay

white heart

Full list can be found here check some out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_rock_bands

Cheers
Cosmin Lupu
Keep'em coming guys! biggrin.gif

I got a new one too:

hehe, didn't knew it, right? tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.