Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Microphone Suggestions
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > GEAR & PRODUCTION
shredmaster1393
Hello GMC, im looking to buy a somewhat cheap quality microphone for recording acoustic guitar/ vocals. ive been looking at the AKG Perception 120 Condenser Microphone but im unsure whether or not to buy it. Does anyone else have any other suggestions, thanks.
Ben Higgins
That looks pretty good. Usually people suggest a Shure SM57.. it may be worth looking for a second hand SM57 so it's closer to the AKG price.

The only mics I have are 3 cheap drum mics, including 2 overheads that double up as instrument mics.. I've used those mics to record my Marshall 4x12 and the results have been excellent. Those mics are considerably cheaper and less quality than the AKG so it will be more than capable of doing the job. smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Yes, this microphone is a good option if your budget is limited to 100$. There are very few options at that limit.

I would recommend that you buy it, it will serve you well for some home produced projects.

On a topic: I'm using Behringer C-3 for all my recordings, and during the years it came to me that microphone is just one link in the chain. Proper acoustic treatment in the recording room is first and foremost condition for recording healthy signal. Second one is microphone preamp. I've changed 4 mic preamps so far, and every one brought an upgrade in terms of quality. Likewise, I've recorded in 4 different rooms a bunch of recordings, with various space setups, so creating even a simple acoustic treatment with curtains, carpets, furniture, separate panels already makes a big different. So, this microphone is IMHO, very good for recording vocals/acoustic guitars, providing you have a good matching preamp and decent treated booth where you can record your takes.
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 25 2011, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... that microphone is just one link in the chain. Proper acoustic treatment in the recording room is first and foremost condition for recording healthy signal. Second one is microphone preamp...

+1. Ultimately garbage in = garbage out.

You need to get the best possible recording/tracking that you can and not rely on the mixing or mastering to correct things at a later stage. For that you really do need to try and optimise the recording chain - acoustic treatment. microphone, mic stand, cable, preamp, ADC. There is a world of difference between say a Neve preamp and a cheap, consumer one - just like there's a world of difference between a Mesa Boogie and a cheap transistor am guitar amp.

Even if you can't invest in a good preamp and ADC just yet don't skimp by buying cheap mic cables and stands - it's a waste of money in the long term as you'll end up having to junk them and get good ones anyway.
Ivan Milenkovic
+1 on the things Tony said and specially cables. While we are on the topic of cables, I should state my mistake when starting: I needed to make a pair of balanced (TRS) connections, between audio card and distribution preamp. I had some TS cables at home, and didn't go and buy TRS ones. For quite some time I had problems of buzzing/crackling until I bought proper cables. Always make balanced connections with quality cables as it's a long term investment.
Saoirse O'Shea
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 25 2011, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.... For quite some time I had problems of buzzing/crackling until I bought proper cables. ...

Ouch but could have been worse Ivan as it's possible to short some preamps by plugging a non-TRS jack in when it's expecting a TRS.
Gabriel Leopardi
Great posts guys. I agree with Tony about the recording chain. Your option is ok for your budget. SM-57 is also a good mic for vocals and guitars but at the same time is very different the sound that you can get from each of this mics. The AKG is condenser and the other one is dynamic. The frequency response is very different. My choice for acoustic and vocals would be a condenser.
shredmaster1393
thanks for the feedback guys!! appreciate it.
Todd Simpson
QUOTE (shredmaster1393 @ Nov 26 2011, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the feedback guys!! appreciate it.

The guys have some great advice. If you can at all swing it, the SM57 is a great first mic. It will work on just about anything in a pinch and does great with guitar cabinets. You can always add a condenser mic later. Your "Mic Locker" will grow with time smile.gif

Todd
s1m0n
I have an SM-58, which I think is great. It's basically the same as a SM-57 but with mesh cover. It's a standard venue mic. But is a good all rounder mic.
Ivan Milenkovic
I agree, SM58 is a very good all-around microphone, and has a nice top end.
Sinisa Cekic
Helpful informations here,thanks guys, I also often use SM 57 !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.