Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Christmas Presents For Guitarists
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
PosterBoy
I'm really difficult to buy presents for, no one in my family knows what to get me and often I'm at a loss when they ask me.

I did jokingly tell my wife I wanted this

RS Guitarworks Old Friend

Later on, bless her, she said 'I can't afford to buy you that guitar, what else could I get you'

I don't need pedals, I don't need picks at the moment, I really am pretty sorted with guitar stuff.

But.... have I forgotten something?
Nihilist1
Maybe some new books to study from? What styles interest you? Are you interested in learning theory? I can probably recommend a few.
PosterBoy
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Dec 6 2011, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe some new books to study from? What styles interest you? Are you interested in learning theory? I can probably recommend a few.

I've a mountain of guitar instructional material, I just need to use it!!!!
Bogdan Radovic
Maybe upgrade audio/video recording gear if needed? smile.gif
Nihilist1
Maybe some cables? I see you have quite a few effects. George L's will bring back some of that tone you might be missing wink.gif
superize
I always tell me parents i want i new guitar for Christmas but i know that i will never get one sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
PosterBoy
All my pedals and amps will soon be sold, as I really haven't used them in 3 years since getting the axe fx. That will fund my recording pc.

I do like the idea of one of Lava Cables Retro Coiled cables though
Gabriel Leopardi
mmm some ideas...

-Acoustic Guitar
-Customized Picks
-Software for recording
-Ezdrummer of something similar for Drums.
-Some on-line lessons with Greg Howe?
-Shredneck for practising when you are not at home.
Cosmin Lupu
A brand new PRS Swamp Ash biggrin.gif
Sinisa Cekic
Some good acoustic guitar smile.gif
PosterBoy
It isn't in my Sig but I have a Bourgeois Custom Slope D so the acoustic guitar tick box is well and truly ticked.

The Shredneck looks interesting Gimmick or worthwhile practice tool? There are plenty of times I am unable to practice guitar but have time on my hands (mainly at work!!!)
Gabriel Leopardi
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 6 2011, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It isn't in my Sig but I have a Bourgeois Custom Slope D so the acoustic guitar tick box is well and truly ticked.

The Shredneck looks interesting Gimmick or worthwhile practice tool? There are plenty of times I am unable to practice guitar but have time on my hands (mainly at work!!!)

so go for it! you'll really find it helpful for practising in weird places...
El Fortinero
when asked what i want for christmas I say: 0.10 ernie ball strings! cheap and usefull
Todd Simpson
Cables, picks, bar stools for the studio, spare tuner, strings, etc. Most web sites that sell music gear have gift sections broken down by price point so it's a great place to start!

Todd
Nihilist1
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 6 2011, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can honestly say it helps. I took a few lessons from Jon Donais of Shadows Fall, and he has a custom one(He endorses them). He saved me quite a bit of money by telling me that the ones with a picking route are garbage and they actually messed up his picking technique(He fixed that issue relatively quickly). So if you do get one, just get the normal, cheaper one! I used it at my old office job during breaks and lunch.
Cosmin Lupu
Mate, I would ask the following thing: If you noodle around all day long with a device which only helps your left hand, isn't there a big possibility for your hands to develop in an unnatural way (left hand way more than the right one) ? I have never used such devices and this idea was the first one which came to my mind after browsing through their site a bit.
Ben Higgins
String winder !! biggrin.gif

I've never had one of those huh.gif

QUOTE (El Fortinero @ Dec 8 2011, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when asked what i want for christmas I say: 0.10 ernie ball strings! cheap and usefull

Me too, with 009's ! smile.gif
Nihilist1
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 8 2011, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mate, I would ask the following thing: If you noodle around all day long with a device which only helps your left hand, isn't there a big possibility for your hands to develop in an unnatural way (left hand way more than the right one) ? I have never used such devices and this idea was the first one which came to my mind after browsing through their site a bit.

I agree with you! That is why I only used it on the days where I practiced legato(I would sacrifice my lunch break at work). Or if I have nothing to do and need to kill time. I could see how it would help you warm up your left hand however if you are in a confined space(like a vehicle), and are heading to a gig.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 8 2011, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
String winder !! biggrin.gif

I've never had one of those huh.gif

They work great! I would miss mine, tonnes if I had lost it!

As for strings, I use D'addario EJ21 Jazz Light 12-52 on my Ibanez Artcore, and GHS Pro Nickels Roundwound strings light 10-47 on My Schecter. I used Dunlop strings on my schecter in the past, but Guitar Center was sold out the last time I went to buy them. the GHS don't feel like normal GHS strings(I HATE the way GHS BOOMERS feel on my fingers). On top of that. I have abused them as bad, if not worse than I abused my Dunlops, and they still play wonderfully after 5 or 6 months. I had my Dunlops for about a year? Best strings I have ever used for metal. I just think that D'addario has a better tone for everything else. My acoustic uses D'addario Phosphor bronze(I almost forgot that tidbit of information).
maharzan
I would love some composing skills to anything!
El Fortinero
another great thing as a christma's present is the zoom h1 (150 USD in my country - 100usd in USA) i've tested this one, the sound is great!

or zoom h2 (to record you band rehersals) (350 usd aprox.)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.