Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Christmas Challenge 2011
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Pages: 1, 2
Bogdan Radovic
CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE 2011

Time for a new challenge this year - let's get into the festive mood and record some sparkling, merry Christmas tunes!

Challenge rules :

* Record any Christmas themed lesson from the GMC archive
OR
* Record your own arrangement of any famous Christmas song by your choice!

Instructions :

* Recording should be done in audio/video format and preferably have a "decorated" video shot scenery if possible.
* Video/audio quality doesn't matter as long as we spread the Christmas spirit.
* Upload your take to Youtube and post it in the uploads thread here.

Deadline : 7th of January 2012.

PRIZES:

1st Prize :
GMC Front Page Spot

Click to view attachment

2nd Prize :
Private Skype Session with the instructor of your choice

Click to view attachment

3rd Prize :
The latest album CD of the band Voodoo signed by Cosmin Lupu

Click to view attachment

Who is in?
TesttubeMammoth
Certainly up for it! Will have a go at putting something together smile.gif Good thing I just learnt all those modes...
Cosmin Lupu
biggrin.gif come and get it while it's hot!
superize
This looks very interesting.

I might give myself a challenge and make my own arrangement of a song
Kristofer Dahl
Looking forward to some interesting takes here! =)
Alex Feather
Very cool!!! Great idea!!
thefireball
Oh yes! I was already working on an arrangement of Christmas songs, but I can do one that's just one song. It's fun to do arrangements. And with some mixing speakers for Christmas, it'll be a blast!! cool.gif I MIGHT do a slow song with feeling instead of my usual rockin' self. We'll see. wink.gif
maharzan
Great!! I just searched around and you cannot beat this song. I personally don't know much or any Christmas songs (as I am not a Christian) but this medley sounds awesome.

I am trying to choose a song to play. smile.gif
Sensible Jones
I will definitely have a go. It might only be Audio though, hopefully getting a new Camera set up soon and then have to learn how to use it and Edit things together!!
blink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Dec 22 2011, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will definitely have a go. It might only be Audio though, hopefully getting a new Camera set up soon and then have to learn how to use it and Edit things together!!
blink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You could also just record video via phone/webcam if you don't have other options (and playing on playback) smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
This should be fun, Skype Sessions seem tempting smile.gif
Gitarrero
My prayers have been heard! (right Bogdan? wink.gif )

I am so in!
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Dec 22 2011, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My prayers have been heard! (right Bogdan? wink.gif )

I am so in!

Of course - we always listen! smile.gif

Great to have you in.
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Dec 22 2011, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am so in!

Yes, we must remember the golden rule that Christian made up..

The collab/competition isn't over until the German guy submits his take ! cool.gif
thefireball
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 22 2011, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, we must remember the golden rule that Christian made up..

The collab/competition isn't over until the German guy submits his take ! cool.gif

laugh.gif biggrin.gif
Sean_1234
So I understand it correct: video is a pro, but it's not mandatory?
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Sean_1234 @ Dec 22 2011, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I understand it correct: video is a pro, but it's not mandatory?

We need the video but the video quality is not important, though if you can do only audio - we'd love to hear the take! smile.gif
K1R
Great! I'd love to have VooDoo CD signed by Cosmin biggrin.gif Gotta go work on my take biggrin.gif
Tangomouse
Guys I'm IN!!!, I'm going to do a john lennon classic happy xmas the war is over ,I've just purchased the backing track for £2 ,Ive found a amazing site where you select the backing track then customise it, ie remove vocals or lead guitar, here is the site i found http://www.karaoke-version.co.uk

just need a few hours to work on the guitar part..
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Tangomouse @ Dec 23 2011, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys I'm IN!!!, I'm going to do a john lennon classic happy xmas the war is over ,I've just purchased the backing track for £2 ,Ive found a amazing site where you select the backing track then customise it, ie remove vocals or lead guitar, here is the site i found http://www.karaoke-version.co.uk

just need a few hours to work on the guitar part..

Wow - that is a very cool choice! smile.gif
Sinisa Cekic
Great idea ,it should be extra fun !
Ferning78
Oh, great idea, this is my White Christmas version Nylon String smile.gif)

http://www.goear.com/listen/5450e73/white-christmas-jazz-fer

Must I upload a Youtube version?
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Ferning78 @ Dec 23 2011, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, great idea, this is my White Christmas version Nylon String smile.gif)

http://www.goear.com/listen/5450e73/white-christmas-jazz-fer

Must I upload a Youtube version?

Wow - this sounds amazing! smile.gif
Yes - please record/shoot a youtube video for it. It will be awesome smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
This is building up nicely! biggrin.gif Can't wait to see the final results!
thefireball
If I win second prize, I want Cosmin to show me some mean riffing! laugh.gif Just sayin'.... cool.gif \m/
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 23 2011, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I win second prize, I want Cosmin to show me some mean riffing! laugh.gif Just sayin'.... cool.gif \m/

Uh oh biggrin.gif I will be most honored to!
freddy
I think I might give this a try
Ferning78
And here is the video on the Christmas Challenge 2011. Hope you like it wink.gif

Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Ferning78 @ Dec 23 2011, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And here is the video on the Christmas Challenge 2011. Hope you like it wink.gif

Wow this is beautiful! smile.gif
Thanks for opening this challenge!

Could you please post it also in the challenge "Upload Thread"?
Gabriel Leopardi
This is great!! Can't wait to see the takes! biggrin.gif
Tangomouse
I haven't had time today to work on mine, Car broke down at a time when i needed it most, had to replace wheel baring and drive shaft today, it went on me yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to work on it tomorrow, just to tired now
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Ferning78 @ Dec 23 2011, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most exquisite! Very very good!! biggrin.gif Congrats man!
Daniel Realpe
looking forward for the takes! smile.gif
Ferning78
Thanks to all!
maharzan
It doesn't have to be live right? I need to add some bass now (no bass guitar) and need to shoot video and I am done. smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 28 2011, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't have to be live right? I need to add some bass now (no bass guitar) and need to shoot video and I am done. smile.gif

Nope - doesn't need to be a live performance. Feel free to be creative smile.gif

Looking forward to the video.
maharzan
cool. will be doing the video today (nothing fancy). We don't celebrate Christmas otherwise it would be great to have santa uniform with the video. smile.gif
Sinisa Cekic
QUOTE (Ferning78 @ Dec 23 2011, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great take ,congrats smile.gif
thefireball
Question: Can we incorporate more than one song in our melody arrangement?
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 29 2011, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question: Can we incorporate more than one song in our melody arrangement?

Yes! smile.gif
maharzan
I did just that fireball. smile.gif
thefireball
QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 29 2011, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did just that fireball. smile.gif

And it was awesome. smile.gif I think it makes it more interesting to use more than one song.
maharzan
Thanks Fireball once again. It is challenging too. Change in tempo and even time signature make it pretty hard to play. I needed to practice quite a bit. And the fact is I was actually trying a 4/4 and was mad for not getting the beat only to realize the song was in 3/4 few tries later (arranging drums). smile.gif
thefireball
QUOTE (maharzan @ Dec 29 2011, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Fireball once again. It is challenging too. Change in tempo and even time signature make it pretty hard to play. I needed to practice quite a bit. And the fact is I was actually trying a 4/4 and was mad for not getting the beat only to realize the song was in 3/4 few tries later (arranging drums). smile.gif

I know exactly what you mean. That has happened to me plenty of times. Now I try to make sure I know the time signature.

Brandon
Bogdan Radovic
Who else is going to enter? smile.gif
Nimrandir
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 3 2012, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd like to try my own arrangement, but I don't think I'll meet the deadline sad.gif. I haven't done any sound programming in about 2 years, so I'll have to relearn everything. But I'm going to do it anyway and try to finish before 7th smile.gif.
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Jan 3 2012, 05:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to try my own arrangement, but I don't think I'll meet the deadline sad.gif. I haven't done any sound programming in about 2 years, so I'll have to relearn everything. But I'm going to do it anyway and try to finish before 7th smile.gif.

Go for it!
It would be great to hear your take! smile.gif
TesttubeMammoth
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 2 2012, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me!

Here's my arrangement so far : http://soundcloud.com/testtubemammoth/whit...as-guitar-cover
A bit copy and pastey at the moment...

I also went for White Christmas (sorry!) but I put my own spin on the melody, at least that's how it would have sounded if I'd written it.
Originally I worked out the melody note for note and did a punky version but I decided this one was a more me.

Will make a video for this in the next couple of days - there a few bits I want to change now I have had the chance to listen to it.

The quality of the competition so far is fierce! So I will try and make it a good one smile.gif

maharzan
Looking forward to it. Otherwise, I am going to be 3rd with 3 competitors... biggrin.gif

You might want to mix the solo level a bit higher, not that you wanted feedback but I think it would sound more powerful. smile.gif
Bogdan Radovic
QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Jan 3 2012, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me!

Here's my arrangement so far : http://soundcloud.com/testtubemammoth/whit...as-guitar-cover
A bit copy and pastey at the moment...

I also went for White Christmas (sorry!) but I put my own spin on the melody, at least that's how it would have sounded if I'd written it.
Originally I worked out the melody note for note and did a punky version but I decided this one was a more me.

Will make a video for this in the next couple of days - there a few bits I want to change now I have had the chance to listen to it.

The quality of the competition so far is fierce! So I will try and make it a good one smile.gif

Hey this sounds cool! Love the rockin' arrangement smile.gif Looking forward to your submission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.