Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid Mistakes !
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > CHILL OUT
Ben Higgins
Hey Guys, I'm rather embarassed to admit this but for a few years I've been mixing my audio in Cubase down to a mono file, without realising I had the option of sleceting 'stereo interleaved' in the mixdown menu. unsure.gif What a dunce. dry.gif

I never connected the dots before. Now that I have, I just think of allll the tracks I've uploaded / sent to people and I cringe with annoyance ! Oh well, at least I noticed it.. better late than never hey ?

What things have you done wrong for a long time before you noticed it ?
Gitarrero
Can't really think of a stupid mistake now...I used to hold my pick in a different way for years and years than I do now, kind of flat between my thumb and the palm of my first finger. I think Todd called it "classical" at some point...there seems to be a classical position for everything, right wink.gif Back to the topic before this gets outta hand...anyway, the pick would hit the strings with the flat side, which isn't too bad when you play chords. But it gave me trouble when I wanted to do AP a bit faster. So I switched to the "shredder grip" 1,5 years ago and use it all the time now. Just lately I discovered that players like Matthias Jabs use their pick in a somewhat flat position and can still play really fast...
Okay, not really a stupid mistake, but something I did for years that held me back in my progress.
TesttubeMammoth
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jan 6 2012, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't really think of a stupid mistake now...I used to hold my pick in a different way for years and years than I do now, kind of flat between my thumb and the palm of my first finger. I think Todd called it "classical" at some point...there seems to be a classical position for everything, right wink.gif Back to the topic before this gets outta hand...anyway, the pick would hit the strings with the flat side, which isn't too bad when you play chords. But it gave me trouble when I wanted to do AP a bit faster. So I switched to the "shredder grip" 1,5 years ago and use it all the time now. Just lately I discovered that players like Matthias Jabs use their pick in a somewhat flat position and can still play really fast...
Okay, not really a stupid mistake, but something I did for years that held me back in my progress.

What is the shredder grip? It sounds impressive!
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jan 6 2012, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know the pick postitions you mean exactly.. and yes, Mattias does appear to hold his pick like that wink.gif

QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Jan 6 2012, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the shredder grip? It sounds impressive!

If we told you it would put your life in danger...

Nah, I think he just means holding it between the side of your finger and your thumb.. the 'correct' and 'normal' way smile.gif
Gitarrero
Haha, yeah, Todd called it "shredder grip" laugh.gif
Gabriel Leopardi
ohh that's so bad Ben! Fortunately you discovered it! In my early days I used Cakewalk for mixing and I remember adding louders and quieters to the wavs. Then I discovered that I used to cut the peaks with the louders and then lowering the files with the quieters but without peaks. I was destroying the audio files during my early mixes!
Ivan Milenkovic
Fair enough, those are honest mistakes smile.gif When I started recording electric guitar on computer, it was in ACID Pro software, I used a DS1 distortion, straight into audio card, and tried to boost it - and fried it cool.gif
SirJamsalot
I don't make mistakes - I MEANT to do that!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Sinisa Cekic
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 6 2012, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fair enough, those are honest mistakes smile.gif When I started recording electric guitar on computer, it was in ACID Pro software, I used a DS1 distortion, straight into audio card, and tried to boost it - and fried it cool.gif

You burned just a one? After the third I stopped counting laugh.gif
Ben Higgins
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jan 6 2012, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, once you go over a certain speed the technology can't keep up with it.... slow the notes down wink.gif (and give us a chance to catch up as well !) biggrin.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jan 6 2012, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was careful next time, it was the time when cards were bought separately, and cost more money smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.